This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laboratory Testing of a Continuous Emissions Monitor for Trace Level Sulfur Dioxide
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The measurement of SO2 levels in vehicle exhaust can provide important information in understanding the relative contribution of sulfur and sulfate from fuel vs. oil source to PM. For this study, a differential optical absorption spectrometer (DOAS) that can measure SO2 down to 20 ppbV in real-time was built and evaluated. The DOAS consisted of an extractive sampling train, a cylindrical sampling cell with a single-path design to minimize cell volume, a spectrometer, and a deuterium lamp light source with a UVC range of ∼200-230 nanometer (nm). Laboratory tests showed detection limits were approximately in the range of 12 to 15 ppbV and showed good linearity over SO2 concentration ranges of 20 to 953 ppbV. Interference tests showed some interference by NO and by NH3, at levels of 300 ppmV and 16.6 ppmV, respectively. The software was modified to a allow for measurements in a narrower spectral range from 206 to 214 nm, when the DOAS interference SO2 response was less than 1.5 ppbV with 300 ppmV of NO injected with, and was slight less than 8 ppbV with 16.6 ppmV of NH3 injected. The DOAS was evaluated using exhaust from a vehicle. The results showed no appreciable interferences on the SO2 measurement for tests on a diesel truck, with very low NH3 emissions, demonstrating the ability of the instrument to measure at 20 ppbV levels without interferences in a low NH3 environment. The gasoline vehicles, on the other hand, had higher levels of NH3, and showed a significant interference, especially for NH3 values exceeding 11 ppmV. For vehicles with higher levels of NH3, an NH3 scrubber such as permeation dryer would likely be needed to scrub NH3 levels to <10 ppmV, as well as some additional updates to the software that have recently been implemented.
|Technical Paper||Parametric Design of Hybrid Power-train with ISG for Transit Bus|
|Technical Paper||Development and Calibration of On-Board-Diagnostic Strategies Using a Micro-HiL Approach|
- John Pisano - University of California
- Thomas D. Durbin - University of California
- Kurt Bumiller - University of California
- Gervase Mackay - Unisearch Associates Inc.
- Alak Chanda - Unisearch Associates Inc.
- Keith Mackay - Unisearch Associates Inc.
- Winston Potts - California Air Resources Board
- John Collins - California Air Resources Board
CitationPisano, J., Durbin, T., Bumiller, K., Mackay, G. et al., "Laboratory Testing of a Continuous Emissions Monitor for Trace Level Sulfur Dioxide," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0986, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0986.
- Williamson , W.B. , Stepien , H.K. , and Ghandi , H.S. Poisoning of Platinum-rhodium Automotive Three-way Catalysts: Behavior of Single-component Catalysts and Effects of Sulfur and Phosphorus Environmental Science and Technology 14 319 324 1980 10.1021/es60163a008
- Williamson , W. , Gandhi , H. , Heyde , M. , and Zawacki , G. Deactivation of Three-Way Catalysts by Fuel Contaminants -Lead, Phosphorus and Sulfur SAE Technical Paper 790942 1979 10.4271/790942
- Yao H.C. , Stepien , H.K. , and Ghandi , H.S. The Effects of SO 2 on the Oxidation of Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide over Pt/Al 2 O 3 Catalysts Journal of Catalysis 67 231 236 1981 10.1016/0021-9517(81)90276-1
- Yao Y.F. and Yu J. The Oxidation of Hydrocarbons and CO over Metal Oxides Journal of Catalysis 26 266 75 1975 10.1016/0021-9517(75)90036-6
- Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (AAM) and the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers (AIAM) Industry Low-Sulfur Test Program Presented to the California Air Resources Board 2001
- American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA) and the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers (AIAM) Study on the Effects of Fuel Sulfur on Low Emission Vehicle Criteria Pollutants 1997
- Schleyer , C. , Gorse , R. , Gunst , R. , Barnes , G. et al. Effect of Fuel Sulfur on Emissions in California Low Emission Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 982726 1998 10.4271/982726
- Koehl , W. , Benson , J. , Burns , V. , Gorse , R. et al. Effects of Gasoline Sulfur Level on Exhaust Mass and Speciated Emissions: The Question of Linearity - Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Program SAE Technical Paper 932727 1993 10.4271/932727
- Leppard , W. , Koehl , W. , Benson , J. , Burns , V. et al. Effects of Gasoline Properties (T50, T90, and Sulfur) on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions of Current and Future Vehicles: Speciation Analysis - The Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program SAE Technical Paper 952505 1995 10.4271/952505
- Leppard , W. , Koehl , W. , Benson , J. , Burns , V. et al. Effects of Gasoline Properties (T50, T90, and Sulfur) on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions of Current and Future Vehicles: Modal Analysis - The Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program SAE Technical Paper 952504 1995 10.4271/952504
- Rutherford , J. , Koehl , W. , Benson , J. , Burns , V. et al. Effects of Gasoline Properties on Emissions of Current and Future Vehicles - T50, T90, and Sulfur Effects - Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program SAE Technical Paper 952510 1995 10.4271/952510
- Benson , J. , Burns , V. , Koehl , W. , Gorse , R. et al. Effects of Gasoline Sulfur Level on Mass Exhaust Emissions - Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program SAE Technical Paper 912323 1991 10.4271/912323
- Truex T.J. Potential for Improved Sulfur Tolerance in Three-way Automotive Catalysts Final Report Prepared for the American Petroleum Institute 1997
- Diesel Emission Control - Sulfur Effects (DECSE) Program Phase I Interim Data Report No. 1 1999
- Advanced Petroluem-based Fuels - Diesel Emissions Control Project (APBF-DEC) - Lubricants Project Phase 1 Summary 2004
- Advanced Petroluem-based Fuels - Diesel Emissions Control Project (APBF-DEC) - Lubricants Project Phase 2 Final Report 2006
- Diesel Emissions Control- Sulfur Effects Project (DECSE) Produced for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), a DOE national laboratory 2002
- Ingalls , M. and Springer , K. Measurement of Sulfate and Sulfur Dioxide in Automotive Exhaust SWRI Final Report 1976
- Graham , L. Gaseous and Particulate Matter Emissions from In-use Light-duty Gasoline Motor Vehicles Report No 99-67 Environment Canada Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 1999
- Chow , J.C. , Watson , J.G. , Bowen , J.L. , Frazier , C.A. , Gertler , A.W. , Fung , K.K. , Landis , D. , and Ashbaugh , L. A sampling System for Reactive Species in the Western US Sampling and Analysis of Airborne Pollutants Wine E D 1993 209 228
- Watson , J.C. , Chow , J.C. , Lowenthal , D.H. , Prichett , LC , Frazier , C.A. , Neuroth , G.A. , and Robbins , R. Differences in the Carbon Composition of Source Profiles for Diesel- and Gasoline-powered Vehicles Atmospheric Environment 28 2493 505 10.1016/1352-2310(94)90400-6
- Pisano , J.T. , Sauer , C. , Robbins , J. , Miller , J.W. , Gamble , H. , Durbin , T.D. A UV Differential Optical Absorption Spectrometer for the Measurement of Sulfur Dioxide Emissions from Vehicles Measurement Science and Technology 14 2089 2095 2003
- Cowley , L.T. , Le Jeune , A. , and Lange , W.W. The Effect of Fuel Composition including Aromatics Content on Emissions from a Range of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines I. Mech. E. 2nd International Seminar on Worldwide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them London May, 1993
- Cowley , L. , Stradling , R. , and Doyon , J. The Influence of Composition and Properties of Diesel Fuel on Particulate Emissions from Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Technical Paper 932732 1993 10.4271/932732
- Himes , R. , Pisano , J. , and Durbin , T. Ammonia Lab Test Verification - Unisearch LasIR SM410 Publication No. 1014664 Palo Alto, CA Electric Power Research Institute I2006
- Dene , C. , Pisano , J.T. , Durbin , T.D. , Bumiller , K. , Crabbe , K. , and Muzio , L.J. Laboratory Testing of a Continuous Emissions Monitor for Hydrochloric Acid J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc. 64 670 678 2014 10.1080/10962247.2014.880755
- Durbin , T.D. , Karavalakis , G. , Miller , J.W. , Hajbabaei , M. , Bumiller , K. , Villela , M. , and Xu , K.H. Effects of Olefins Content on Exhaust Emissions: CRC Project E-83 Final report for the Coordinating Research Council by the University of California at Riverside June 2012
- Gierczak , C.A. , Andino , J.M. , Butler , J.W. , Heiser , C.A. , Jesion , C. , and Korniski , T.J. FTIR: fundamentals and applications in the analysis of dilute vehicle exhaust Proc. SPIE 1433 315 May 1 1991 10.1117/12.46178