This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
How Cylinder Cooling and Liner Temperature Profiles Affect NO Emissions: A Device for R&D
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents details of the development of, and experimental results from, an internal combustion engine dynamic cylinder heat transfer control device for use on single-cylinder research engines. This device replicates the varying temperature profile and heat transfer distribution circumferentially around a cylinder in a multicylinder engine. This circumferential temperature distribution varies around a cylinder because of the location of, or lack of coolant passages around the cylinders, and varies from cylinder to cylinder as a result of the flow of the coolant through these passages as it accumulates thermal energy and increases in temperature. This temperature distribution is important because it directly affects the NO emissions from each cylinder, as will be seen in the experimental results. Single-cylinder research engines do not replicate these varying cylinder temperature profiles, and as a result the emission measurements from these research engines may not be representative of what would occur in a multi-cylinder engine. This technology allows engineers to simulate and directly measure the causal relationships between engine coolant passage design, resulting cylinder temperature profiles, and the resulting emissions from individual cylinders. These results can significantly help engine designers understand the trade-offs they make in such designs, their effects on engine emissions, and perhaps design a better engine.
CitationMalouf, T. and Moskwa, J., "How Cylinder Cooling and Liner Temperature Profiles Affect NO Emissions: A Device for R&D," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0983, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0983.
- Lahti , J. and Moskwa , J. A Transient Hydrostatic Dynamometer for Testing Single-Cylinder Prototypes of Multi-Cylinder Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0616 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0616
- Moskwa , J.J. and Lahti , J.L. 2004 Internal combustion engine simulation and testing US Patent 6,708,557 Feb. 13 2002
- Snyder , M. , Lahti , J. , and Moskwa , J. Simulating Transient Multi-Cylinder Engine Gas Exchange Dynamics on a Single-Cylinder Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1074 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1074
- Moskwa , J.J. , Lahti , J.L. , and Snyder , M.W. 2006 Engine testing device which simulates dynamic gas exchange U.S. Patent 7,124,021 Feb. 23 2005
- Klick , S. , Krosschell , B. , Marty , M. , and Moskwa , J. A Transient Heat Transfer System for Research Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0975 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0975
- Moskwa , J.J. , Klick , S.J. , Krosschell , B.D. , and Marty , M.D. 2009 Internal combustion engine testing with thermal simulation of additional cylinders U.S. Patent 7,506,537 Sept. 1 2006
- Lemke , A.R. Design, Construction, and Testing of a Transient Cooling System for a Single-Cylinder Engine MS Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2009
- Klick , S.J. Design of a Controlled Transient Cooling System to Simulate Multi-Cylinder Engine Cooling Dynamics on a Single-Cylinder Engine MS Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2006
- Mangun , D.A. Development of a Single-Cylinder Engine Transient Test System for Hardware-in-the-Loop Cold-Start Emission Testing PhD Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin - Madison 2010
- Malouf , T. , Bauer , M. , Moskwa , J.J. A Second Generation Heat Transfer Simulator for Single-Cylinder Engines, to Replicate Multi-Cylinder Engine Dynamics IFAC ECOSM 2015 USA August 24-26, 2015
- Bauer , M. Analysis, Control and Design Recommendations for a Transient Heat Transfer System MS Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin - Madison 2014
- Malouf , T. Design, Construction and Testing of a Second Generation Heat Transfer System for Single Cylinder Test Engines MS Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Wisconsin - Madison 2015
- Stone , R. Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines, Fourth Edition Warrendale SAE International 2012 69 978-0-7680-2084-7
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis , A. , Ntziachristos , L. , Samaras , Z. , Dimaratos , A. et al. Experimental Investigation of Cyclic Variability on Combustion and Emissions of a High-Speed SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0742 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0742