This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Alternative Technology for Platinum Group Metals in Automobile Exhaust Gas Catalysts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a new catalyst powder has been developed that provides cleaner exhaust emissions and reduces the consumption of precious metals. In recent years, precious metal usage has been increasing due to the tightening of emission regulations and the increase in automobile production worldwide. Minimizing the use of precious metals in exhaust catalysts is crucial not only for reducing the cost of vehicles but also for effective utilization of scarce resources. Iron is one of the alternative material candidates for precious metals. It was found that the Iron catalyst was activated by iron becoming the low oxidation state while iron oxide and cerium oxide synchronized in a nanostructure interface. A catalyst with improved iron support technology that enables better contact between highly dispersed particles of iron and ceria was found to exhibit higher exhaust gas cleansing performance than precious metal catalysts even after aging.
CitationHanaki, Y., Fujimoto, M., and Itou, J., "Alternative Technology for Platinum Group Metals in Automobile Exhaust Gas Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0930, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0930.
- Platinum 2012 Interim Review Johnson Matthey 54 59 2012
- Asada T. et al. Preparation of supported LaMnO3 catalysts by selective deposition in intra-pore and/or on extra-pore of alumina and their catalytic properties Catalysts and Catalysis 56 6 487 489 2008
- Takahashi M. et al. Development of Iron Catalyst Technologies to Improve Exhaust-emission Purification Performance for Gasoline Engines Transactions of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 45 2 197 202 2014
- Seiyama T. Metal Oxides and Catalyst Applications Tokyo Kodansha Ltd. 15 1978
- Murakami Y. et al. Catalyst Degradation Mechanism and Countermeasures Tokyo Technical Information Institute Co., Ltd. 23 26 109 125 1995
- Nakamura M. et al. Development of Ultra Fine Precious Metal Catalyst which Can Halve the Precious Metal Loading Compared with that of Conventional Catalysts Transactions of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 40 4 985 990 2009
- Murrell L. L. et al. Laser Raman Characterization of Surface Phase Precious Metal Oxides Formed on CeO 2 Studies in Surface Science Catalysis 71 275 289 1991
- Taniguchi , M. , Uenishi , M. , Tan , I. , Tanaka , H. et al. Thermal Properties of the Intelligent Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1272 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1272
- Takami A. et al. Development of a Low PGM Three-Way Catalyst with Single Nano Technology Text of JSAE Symposium 07-08 33 38 2008
- Takagi , N. , Minami , T. , Hirabayashi , T. , Matsumoto , S. et al. Sintering Mechanism of Platinum Supported on Ceria-Based Oxide for Automotive Catalysts SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0413 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0413