This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Characteristics of Acetone, Butanol, and Ethanol (ABE) Blended with Diesel in a Compression-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 5, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) is an intermediate product in the ABE fermentation process for producing bio-butanol. As an additive for diesel, it has been shown to improve spray evaporation, improve fuel atomization, enhance air-fuel mixing, and enhance combustion as a whole. The typical compositions of ABE are in a volumetric ratio of 3:6:1 or 6:3:1. From previous studies done in a constant volume chamber, it was observed that the presence of additional acetone in the blend caused advancement in the combustion phasing, but too much acetone content led to an increase in soot emission during combustion. The objective of this research was to investigate the combustion of these mixtures in a diesel engine. The experiments were conducted in an AVL 5402 single-cylinder diesel engine at different speeds and different loads to study component effects on the various engine conditions. The fuels tested in these experiments were D100, ABE(3:6:1)10, ABE(3:6:1)20, ABE(6:3:1)10, and ABE(6:3:1)20. The acetone-butanol-ethanol mixtures were blended in either a 3:6:1 or 6:3:1 ratio by volume. ABE10 and ABE20 consists of 10% ABE mixture and 90% diesel by volume and 20% ABE and 80% diesel by volume respectively. The results showed that by properly tuning the injection quantity and injection timing in the engine, ABE-diesel mixtures have the potential of improving efficiency and reducing emissions at the same time without sacrificing engine performance.
CitationLee, T., Lin, Y., Meng, X., Li, Y. et al., "Combustion Characteristics of Acetone, Butanol, and Ethanol (ABE) Blended with Diesel in a Compression-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0884, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0884.
- Sharp, C., Howell, S., and Jobe, J., "The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1967.
- Herzog, C. and Fryszman, A., "Perspectives for the Utilization of Renewable Fuels in Latin America," SAE Technical Paper 911709, 1991, doi:10.4271/911709.
- McCormick, R.L. and Parish R.. “Milestone report: Technical barriers to the use of ethanol in diesel fuel.” Report NREL/MP-540-32674, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, 2001.
- Hansen, Alan C., Zhang Qin, and Lyne Peter WL. "Ethanol- diesel fuel blends--a review." Bioresource technology 96(3): 277-285, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2004.04.007.
- Hansen, Alan C., and Kyritsis Dimitrios C.. "Characteristics of biofuels and renewable fuel standards." Biomass to Biofuels: Strategies for Global Industries 1-26, 2009. doi:10.1002/9780470750025.ch1
- Qureshi, N., and Blaschek H. P.. "Recovery of butanol from fermentation broth by gas stripping." Renewable Energy 22(4): 557-564, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0960-1481(00)00108-7
- Qureshi, N., and Blaschek, H. “ABE production from corn: a recent economic evaluation”. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 27(5), 292-297, 2001. doi:10.1038/sj.jim.7000123.
- Agathou, M., Powell, J., Lee, C., and Kyritsis, D., "Preliminary experimental study of butanol electrosprays for power generation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0020, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0020.
- Heywood, John B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals. Vol. 930. New York: Mcgraw-hill, 1988.
- Wu, H., Nithyanandan, K., Li, B., Lee, T. H., Chia-fon, F. L., & Zhang, C. “Investigation on Spray and Soot Lift-Off Length of an ABE-Diesel Blend in a Constant Volume Chamber With Diesel Engine Conditions”. ASME 2014 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, 2014. doi: 10.1115/ICEF2014-5645.
- Wu, H., Nithyanandan, K., Lee, T. H., Lee, C. F., Zhang, C. ,“Spray and Combustion Characteristics of Neat Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol, n-Butanol, and Diesel in a Constant Volume Chamber”, Energy & Fuels 2014 28 (10), 6380-6391, doi:10.1021/ef5013819.
- Wu, H., Nithyanandan, K., Zhou, N., Lee, T. H., Chia-fon, F. L., and Zhang, C. “Impacts of acetone on the spray combustion of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE)-Diesel blends under low ambient temperature” Fuel 142: 109-116, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.10.009.
- Zhou, N., Huo, M., Wu, H., Nithyanandan K., Lee, C. F., and Wang, Q. ,“Low temperature spray combustion of acetone- butanol-ethanol (ABE) and diesel blends,” Applied Energy 117: 104-115, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.11.035.
- Wu, H., Huo, M., Zhou, N., Nithyanandan, K. et al., "An Experimental Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol-Diesel Blends with Different ABE Component Ratios in a Constant Volume Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1452, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1452.
- Lin, Y., Wu, H., Nithyanandan, K., Lee, T. H., Lee, C. F., Zhang, C. ,“Investigation of High Percentage Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) Blended With Diesel in a Constant Volume Chamber,” ASME 2014 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, 2014. doi: 10.1115/ICEF2014-5649.
- Lee, T., Lin, Y., Wu, H., Meng, L. et al., "Characterization Spray and Combustion Processes of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) in a Constant Volume Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0919, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0919.
- Nithyanandan, K., Wu, H., Huo, M., and Lee, C., "A Preliminary Investigation of the Performance and Emissions of a Port-Fuel Injected SI Engine Fueled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1459, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1459.
- Nithyanandan, K., Wu, H., Zhang, J., and Lee, C. F., "Performance and Emissions of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel Injected Spark Ignition Engine", Proc. ASME. 46162; Volume 1: Large Bore Engines; Fuels; Advanced Combustion; Emissions Control Systems, V001T02A010.October 19, 2014, ICEF2014-5644, doi: 10.1115/ICEF2014-5644.
- Nithyanandan, K., Zhang, J., Yuqiang, L., Wu, H. et al., "Investigating the Impact of Acetone on the Performance and Emissions of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0909, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0909.
- Zhang, J., Nithyanandan, K., Li, Y., Lee, C. et al., "Comparative Study of High-Alcohol-Content Gasoline Blends in an SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0891, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0891.
- Li, Y., Nithyanandan, K., Zhang, J., Lee, C. et al., "Combustion and Emissions Performance of a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Water Containing Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol and Gasoline Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0908, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0908.
- Leick, M. ,“Optimizing conventional combustion and implementing low temperature combustion of biodiesel in a common-rail high-speed direct-injection engine”, MS Thesis, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering. Urbana, IL, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- Chang, Y.-C., Lee, W.-J., Lin, S.-L., and Wang, L.-C. “Green energy: Water-containing acetone-butanol-ethanol diesel blends fueled in diesel engines”. Applied Energy 109:182-191, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.03.086
- Chang, Yu-Cheng, Lee Wen-Jhy, Wu Tser Son, Wu Chang-Yu, and Chen Shui-Jen. "Use of Water Containing Acetone-butanol- ethanol for NOx-PM (nitrogen Oxide-particulate Matter) Trade-off in the Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel." Energy 64:678-87, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.077
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. USA: McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1988. Print.
- Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils, ASTM D975. In ASTM Annual Book of Standards; American Society for Testing and Materials: West Conshohocken, PA, 2003.
- Lee, T. H., Lin Y., Wu H., Nithyanandan K., Lee C. F. and Hansen A. C., #x201c;Experimental Investigation of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol/Diesel Blends,” ASME Paper ICEF2015-1148 in Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Houston, TX, Nov. 2015.
- Black, G., Pichon, S., Curran, H., Simmie, J., Donohue, R., Djebaili-Chaumeix, N. ,“An Experimental and Modelling Study of the Combustion of Acetone”, Third European Combustion Meeting ECM 2007.
- Stranic, Ivo, Chase Deanna P., Harmon Joseph T., Yang Sheng, Davidson David F., and Hanson Ronald K.. "Shock Tube Measurements of Ignition Delay times for the Butanol Isomers." Combustion and Flame 159.2 (2012): 516-27, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2011.08.014.