This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD and X-Ray Analysis of Gaseous Direct Injection from an Outward Opening Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using natural gas in an internal combustion engine (ICE) is emerging as a promising way to improve thermal efficiency and reduce exhaust emissions. In the development of such engine platforms, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) plays a fundamental role in the optimization of geometries and operating parameters. One of the most relevant issues in the simulation of direct injection (DI) gaseous processes is the accurate prediction of the gas jet evolution.
The simulation of the injection process for a gaseous fuel does not require complex modeling, nevertheless properly describing high-pressure gas jets remains a challenging task. At the exit of the nozzle, the injected gas is under-expanded, the flow becomes supersonic and shocks occur due to compressibility effects. These phenomena lead to challenging computational requirements resulting from high grid resolution and low computational time-steps.
In this paper, the simulation of gaseous injection from an outward opening injector was carried out with the commercial CFD software CONVERGE. Argon was injected into a quiescent chamber filled with Nitrogen. Two free-jet cases with injection pressure of 15 and 10 bar, and ambient pressure of 1 and 2 bar respectively, were tested. For the 15 bar injection pressure and 1 bar ambient pressure, a jet impinging on a barrier case was performed as well. The numerical results were validated against experimental mass measurements using X-ray radiography.
The results, presented in terms of 2D maps and transverse sections of equivalent path length of argon, showed good agreement between modeling and experiments in terms of jet penetration, shape and gas mass distribution. These emphasized the significant impact of mesh size on the results for the simulation of this type of injector. Due to the small geometrical dimensions a fine mesh is required in order to deliver an accurate description of the mixture formation. Numerical results were discussed with a particular emphasis on the application to engine simulations, where a trade-off between accuracy and computational time is a necessity.
- Lorenzo Bartolucci - Argonne National Laboratory
- Riccardo Scarcelli - Argonne National Laboratory
- Thomas Wallner - Argonne National Laboratory
- Andrew Swantek - Argonne National Laboratory
- Christopher F. Powell - Argonne National Laboratory
- Alan Kastengren - Argonne National Laboratory
- Daniel Duke - Argonne National Laboratory
CitationBartolucci, L., Scarcelli, R., Wallner, T., Swantek, A. et al., "CFD and X-Ray Analysis of Gaseous Direct Injection from an Outward Opening Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0850, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0850.
- d'Ambrosio , S. , Spessa , E. , Vassallo , A. , Ferrera , M. et al. Experimental Investigation of Fuel Consumption, Exhaust Emissions and Heat Release of a Small-Displacement Turbocharged CNG Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0049 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0049
- Bach , C. CO 2 Reduction and Cost Efficiency Potential of Natural Gas Hybrid Passenger Cars SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2395 2404 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0110
- Korakianitis T , Namasivayam AM , Crookes RJ Natural-gas fueled spark ignition (SI) and compression-ignition (CI) engine performance and emissions Prog Energy Combust Sci 2011 37 89 112
- Pischinger , S. , Umierski , M. , and Hüchtebrock , B. New CNG Concepts for Passenger Cars: High Torque Engines with Superior Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2264 2003 10.4271/2003-01-2264
- Bach , C. , Lämmle , C. , Bill , R. , Soltic , P. et al. Clean Engine Vehicle A Natural Gas Driven Euro-4/SULEV with 30% Reduced CO2-Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0645 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0645
- Kalam , M. A. , and Masjuki , H. H. An experimental investigation of high performance natural gas engine with direct injection Energy 36 3563 3571
- Andreassi , L. , Cordiner , S. , Mulone , V. , Reynolds , C. , and Evans , R. Numerical-experimental comparison on the performance of a partially stratified charge natural gas fueled engine ASME, Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 2004
- Zeng , K. , Huang , Z. , Liu , B. , Liu , L. , Jiang , D. , Ren , Y. , and Wang , J. Combustion characteristics of a direct-injection natural gas engine under various fuel injection timings Appl. Therm. Eng. 26 806 813
- Befrui , B. , Corbinelli , G. , Robart , D. , Reckers , W. et al. LES Simulation of the Internal Flow and Near-Field Spray Structure of an Outward-Opening GDi Injector and Comparison with Imaging Data SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0137 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0137
- Befrui , B. , Corbinelli , G. , Hoffmann , G. , Andrews , R. et al. Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip in the Outward-Opening GDi Injector Valve-Group SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1483 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1483
- Baratta , M. , Catania , A. , Spessa , E. , Herrmann , L. et al. Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Direct Natural-Gas Injection and Mixture Formation in a Stratified-Charge SI Engine with Centrally Mounted Injector SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 607 626 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0975
- Baratta , M. , Catania , A. E. , and Pesce , F. C. Multidimensional Modeling of Natural Gas Jet and Mixture Formation in DI SI Engines - Development and Validation of a Virtual Injector Model ASME Trans., Journal of Fluids Engineering 133 041304-1 14 2001
- Baratta , M. , Rapetto , N. , Spessa , E. , Fuerhapter , A. et al. Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Mixture Formation and Performance in a Direct Injection CNG Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0401 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0401
- Kastengren , A. , Powell , C.F. , Arms , D. , Dufresne , E.M. et al. The 7BM beamline at the APS: a facility for time-resolved fluid dynamics measurements Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 19 654 657 2012
- Kastengren , A. , & Powell , C. F Synchrotron X-ray techniques for fluid dynamics Experiments in Fluids 55 3 1686 2014
- Duke , D. , Swantek , A. , Kastengren , A. , Fezzaa , K. et al. Recent Developments in X-ray Diagnostics for Cavitation SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8 1 135 146 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0918
- Swantek , A. , Kastengren , A. , Duke , D. , Tilocco , Z. et al. Quantification of Shot-to-Shot Variation in Single Hole Diesel Injectors SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8 1 160 166 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0936
- Richards , K.J. , Senecal , P.K. , Pomraning , E. CONVERGE 2.1.0 Theory Manual Convergent Science Inc. Madison, WI 2013