This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation of Abnormal Spray Behaviors of Multi-Hole GDI Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main objective of this paper is to investigate the influence of injection pressures and fuel temperatures on the secondary injection spray evolution at the end of injection from a multi-hole gasoline direct injection (GDI) injector by Mie-scattering technique.
The results of this paper show that the overall injection process can be classified into five stages which are injection delay stage, main injection stage, dwell stage, secondary injection stage and ligaments breakup stage respectively. Especially, the secondary injection occurs at the end of main injection, which is abnormal and undesirable spray behaviors. During the injection, big droplets and ligaments are injected through nozzle orifices at low speed.
As the injection pressure increases, the phase of the secondary injection advances, and the injection duration decreases. At medium injection pressures (at 6, 8 MPa), more quantity of fuel are injected as ligaments. At higher injection pressures (above 10 MPa), more droplet clusters can be produced. The secondary injection spray tip penetration is lower than that of main injection. The average increment of penetration in one time step is small. The total tendency of the secondary injection spray tip velocity is declining. The average spray tip velocity of secondary injection decreases by about 60% to 70% as compared with that of the main injection. The spray breakup in the secondary injection stage is within the second wind induced regime at low fuel temperature. As the increase of fuel temperature, the secondary injection produces more atomized droplet clusters and less liquid ligaments, accompanied with injection event phase advance, short injection duration and small amount of injected fuel.
- Jianwei Zhou - Tianjin University State Key Laboratory
- Yanfeng Zhang - Tianjin University
- Jing Qin - Tianjin University
- Changwen Liu - Tianjin University
- Xin Han - Tianjin University
- Yiqiang Pei - Tianjin University
- Zhang Song Zhan - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Xuesong Wu - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Tie Gang Hu - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Xueying Su - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Chaojun Zhang - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Tangming Chen - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Li Wang - Tianjin Agricultural University
CitationZhou, J., Zhang, Y., Qin, J., Liu, C. et al., "An Investigation of Abnormal Spray Behaviors of Multi-Hole GDI Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0848, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0848.
- Myung , C. L. , Ko A. , and Park S. Review on characterization of nano-particle emissions and PM morphology from internal combustion engines: Part 1 International Journal of Automotive Technology 15.2 2014 203 218
- Zinola , Stéphane et al. The Particulate Number Emissions from GDI Engines: Advanced Characterization and Reduction through a Gasoline Particulate Filter with Membrane Technology SIA International Conference: The spark Ignition Engine of the Future 2013
- Koegeler , Hans-Michael , Vidmar FH Khai Dipl-Ing , and Winklhofer Ernst Flame Analysis Techniques for Particulate Emissions Development of GDI Engines MTZ worldwide 75.5 2014 12 17
- Fraidl G . , Hollerer P. , Kapus P. , Ogris M. et al. Development Process for Achieving Lowest Engine Out Particulate Number with GDI The 1st International Chinese Exhaust Gas and Particulate Emission Forum 18/19 October 2012 Shanghai, China
- Berndorfer , A. , Breuer , S. , Piock , W. , and Von Bacho , P. Diffusion Combustion Phenomena in GDi Engines caused by Injection Process SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0261 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0261
- Storch , Michael et al. The effect of ethanol blending on mixture formation, combustion and soot emission studied in anoptical DISI engine Applied Energy 156 2015 783 792
- Wang , Chongming et al. Impact of fuel and injection system on particle emissions from a GDI engine Applied Energy 132 2014 178 191
- Kazour , J. , Befrui , B. , Husted , H. , Raney , M. et al. Innovative Sprays and Particulate Reduction with GDi Injectors SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1441 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1441
- Kim , Y. , Kim , Y. , Jun , S. , Lee , K. et al. Strategies for Particle Emissions Reduction from GDI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1556 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1556
- Aleiferis , P. G. et al. An analysis of spray development with iso-octane, n-pentane, gasoline, ethanol and n-butanol from a multi-hole injector under hot fuel conditions Fuel 105.2 2013 143 168
- Liu , Xin et al. Near-field characterization of direct injection gasoline sprays from multi-hole injector using ultrafast x-tomography ILASS Americas, 18th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Irvine, CA (USA) 2005
- Behringer , M. , Aleiferis , P. , OudeNijeweme , D. , and Freeland , P. Spray Formation from Spark-Eroded and Laser-Drilled Injectors for DISI Engines with Gasoline and Alcohol Fuels SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 803 822 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2745
- Abe , Motoyuki et al. Quick Response Fuel Injector for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 134.6 2012 062803
- Song , Dong Xian et al. Fuel Saving Effectiveness of Spray-Guided Stratified Combustion with Centrally Mounted Multi-Hole Injector Transactions of Csice 2015
- Lee , J. H. et al. Bouncing of the diesel injector needle at the closing stage Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 216.8 2002 691 700
- Hui-Yong , D. U. et al. Effects of Nozzle Structure on Spray Atomization at End of Injection Tractor & Farm Transporter 2006
- Imoehl , W. , Gestri , L. , Maragliulo , M. , Del-Frate , L. et al. A DOE Approach to Engine Deposit Testing used to Optimize the Design of a Gasoline Direct Injector Seat and Orifice SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1078 1095 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1642
- Reitz , R. D. , and Bracco F. V. Mechanism of atomization of a liquid jet Physics of Fluids (1958-1988) 25.10 1982 1730 1742