This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Effect of Injection Strategies on Particulate Emission Characteristics under Cold Start Using In-cylinder Visualization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to the direct injection of fuel into a combustion chamber, particulate emission is a challenge in DISI engines. Specifically, a significant amount of particulate emission is produced under the cold start condition. In this research, the main interest was to investigate particulate emission characteristics under the catalyst heating condition because it is one of the significant particulate-emissionproducing stages under the cold start condition.
A single-cylinder optically accessible engine was used to investigate the effect of injection strategies on particulate emission characteristics under the catalyst heating condition. The split injection strategy was applied during intake stroke with various injection pressures and injection timings. Using luminosity analysis of the soot radiation during combustion, the particulate formation characteristics of each injection strategy were studied. Moreover, the factors that affect PM formation were analyzed via fuel injection visualization. The experimental results showed that the retardation of injection timing and the increasing of split number and injection pressure led to decreased flame luminosity, which can be interpreted as a reduced amount of particulate formation.
CitationChung, J., Kim, N., Choi, H., and Min, K., "Study on the Effect of Injection Strategies on Particulate Emission Characteristics under Cold Start Using In-cylinder Visualization," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0822, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0822.
- Fu , H. , Wang , Y. , Li , X. , and Shuai , S. Impacts of Cold-Start and Gasoline RON on Particulate Emission from Vehicles Powered by GDI and PFI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2836 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2836
- Euro 5/6 standards 2009 2014 Regulation 715/2007 and several comitology regulations http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php#stds
- Piock , W. , Hoffmann , G. , Berndorfer , A. , Salemi , P. et al. Strategies Towards Meeting Future Particulate Matter Emission Requirements in Homogeneous Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1455 1468 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1212
- Whelan , I. , Smith , W. , Timoney , D. , and Samuel , S. The Effect of Engine Operating Conditions on Engine-out Particulate Matter from a Gasoline Direct-injection Engine during Cold-start. SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1711 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1711
- Choi , K. , Kim , J. , Ko , A. , Myung , C. L. , Park , S. , & Lee , J. 2013 Size-resolved engine exhaust aerosol characteristics in a metal foam particulate filter for GDI light-duty vehicle Journal of Aerosol science 57 1 13 2013 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2012.11.002
- Whitaker , P. , Kapus , P. , Ogris , M. , and Hollerer , P. Measures to Reduce Particulate Emissions from Gasoline DI engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1498 1512 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1219
- Dageförde , H. , Koch , T. , Beck , K. , and Spicher , U. Influence of Fuel Composition on Exhaust Emissions of a DISI Engine during Catalyst Heating Operation SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 3 627 640 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2571
- Kim , Y. , Kim , Y. , Jun , S. , Lee , K. et al. Strategies for Particle Emissions Reduction from GDI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1556 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1556
- Storch , M. , Zigan , L. , Wensing , M. , and Will , S. Systematic Investigation of the Influence of Ethanol Blending on Sooting Combustion in DISI Engines Using High-Speed Imaging and LII SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2617 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2617
- Stanger , T. , Viskup , R. , del Re , L. , Bergmann , A. et al. Dynamical Nonlinear Particulate Matter Estimation Based on Laser Induced Incandescence Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0180 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0180
- Boxx , I. G. , Heinold O. , and Geigle . K. P. Laser-induced incandescence measurements in a fired diesel engine at 3 kHz Experiments in Fluids 56.1 2015 1 10 2015 10.1007/s00348-014-1865-7
- Zhou , J. , Richard , S. , Mounaïm-Rousselle , C. , and Foucher , F. Effects of Controlling Oxygen Concentration on the Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics in a Downsized SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0056 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0056
- Bonandrini , G. , Di Gioia , R. , Papaleo , D. , and Venturoli , L. Numerical Study on Multiple Injection Strategies in DISI Engines for Particulate Emission Control SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0400 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0400
- Schmidt , L. , Seabrook , J. , Stokes , J. , Ahmad Zuhdi , M. et al. Multiple Injection Strategies for Improved Combustion Stability under Stratified Part Load Conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1228 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1228
- Mittal , M. and Schock , H. The Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Spray and Combustion Characteristics in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2604 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2604