This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Combustion and Emissions of a Propane-Diesel Blend in a Research Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The interest of the vehicle producers in fulfillment emission legislations without adopting after treatment systems is driving to the use of non-conventional energy sources for modern engines.
A previous test campaign dealing with the use of blends of diesel and propane in a CI engine has pointed out the potential of this non-conventional fuel for diesel engines. The soft adaptation of the common rail injection system and the potential benefits, in terms of engine performances and pollutant emissions, encourage the use of propane-diesel blends if an optimization of the injection strategies is performed.
In this work, the performances of a propane-diesel mixture in a research diesel engine have been investigated. The injection strategies of Euro 5 calibration have been used as reference for the development of optimized strategies. The aim of the optimization process was to ensure the same engine power output and reduce the pollutant emissions. The analysis has been supported by optical diagnostics for the visualization of the in-cylinder processes.
The results showed that the use of propane-diesel blends can improve the engine performances with new injection strategies specifically defined. Moreover, the enhanced fuel evaporation due to the propane content could improve the mixing process and leads to reduced particulate matter emissions.
CitationCardone, M., Mancaruso, E., Marialto, R., Sequino, L. et al., "Characterization of Combustion and Emissions of a Propane-Diesel Blend in a Research Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0810, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0810.
- Wagemakers , A. and Leermakers , C. Review on the Effects of Dual-Fuel Operation, Using Diesel and Gaseous Fuels, on Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0869 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0869
- Ashok B. , Ashok S. D. , and Kumar C. R. LPG diesel dual fuel engine-a critical review Alexandria Engineering Journal 54 2 105 126 2015
- Lata D. , Misra A. , and Medhekar S. Effect of hydrogen and LPG addition on the efficiency and emissions of a dual fuel diesel engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37 7 6084 6096 2012
- Renald C. T. and Somasundaram P. Experimental investigation on attenuation of emission with optimized LPG jet induction in a dual fuel diesel engine and prediction by ANN model Energy Procedia 14 1427 1438 2012
- Imran A. , Varman M. , Masjuki H. , and Kalam M. Review on alcohol fumigation on diesel engine: a viable alternative dual fuel technology for satisfactory engine performance and reduction of environment concerning emission Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26 739 751 2013
- Zhang Z. , Cheung C. , and Yao C. Influence of fumigation methanol on the combustion and particulate emissions of a diesel engine Fuel 111 442 448 2013
- Ruiz F. A. , Cadrazco M. , López A. F. , Sanchez-Valdepeñas J. , and Agudelo J. R. Impact of dual-fuel combustion with n-butanol or hydrous ethanol on the oxidation reactivity and nanostructure of diesel particulate matter Fuel 161 18 25 2015
- Surawski N. C. , Miljevic B. , Bodisco T. A. , Situ R. , Brown R. J. , and Ristovski Z. D. Performance and gaseous and particle emissions from a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) fumigated compression ignition engine Fuel 133 17 25 2014
- Polk A. C. , Carpenter C. D. , Srinivasan K. K. , and Krishnan S. R. An investigation of diesel-ignited propane dual fuel combustion in a heavy-duty diesel engine Fuel 132 135 148 2014
- Ma Z. , Huang Z. , Li C. , Wang X. , and Miao H. Combustion and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled with diesel-propane blends Fuel 87 8 1711 1717 2008
- Alla G. A. , Soliman H. , Badr O. , and Rabbo M. A. Effect of pilot fuel quantity on the performance of a dual fuel engine Energy Conversion and Management 41 6 559 572 2000
- Alla G. A. , Soliman H. , Badr O. , and Rabbo M. A. Effect of injection timing on the performance of a dual fuel engine Energy conversion and Management 43 2 269 277 2002
- Papagiannakis R. , Hountalas D. , and Rakopoulos C. Theoretical study of the effects of pilot fuel quantity and its injection timing on the performance and emissions of a dual fuel diesel engine Energy Conversion and Management 48 11 2951 2961 2007
- Saleh H. Effect of variation in LPG composition on emissions and performance in a dual fuel diesel engine Fuel 87 13 3031 3039 2008
- Elnajjar E. , Hamdan M. O. , and Selim M. Y. Experimental investigation of dual engine performance using variable LPG composition fuel Renewable Energy 56 110 116 2013
- Elnajjar E. , Selim M. Y. , and Hamdan M. O. Experimental study of dual fuel engine performance using variable LPG composition and engine parameters Energy conversion and Management 76 32 42 2013
- Qi D. , Bian Y. Z. , Ma Z. Y. , Zhang C. H. , and Liu S. Q. Combustion and exhaust emission characteristics of a compression ignition engine using liquefied petroleum gas-diesel blended fuel Energy conversion and management 48 2 500 509 2007
- Mancaruso , E. , Marialto , R. , Sequino , L. , Vaglieco , B. et al. Investigation of the Injection Process in a Research CR Diesel Engine using Different Blends of Propane-Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2477 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2477
- Aronsson , U. , Chartier , C. , Horn , U. , Andersson , Ö. et al. Heat Release Comparison Between Optical and All-Metal HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1062 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1062
- Mancaruso E. , Sequino L. , and Vaglieco B. M. First and second generation biodiesels spray characterization in a diesel engine Fuel 90 9 2870 2883 2011
- ThermoVision Advanced - Addendum to Visioscope v1.2 Graz - Austria
- Heywood J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988 930
- Goodger E. Hydrocarbon fuels 1975
- Annual Book of A.S.T.M. Standards American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia
- Musculus M. P. B. , Miles P. C. , and Pickett L. M. Conceptual models for partially premixed low-temperature diesel combustion Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39.2 2013 246 283