This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of the Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine under Diesel-1-Butanol/CNG Dual Fuel Operation Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to comply with the stringent emission regulations, many researchers have been focusing on diesel-compressed natural gas (CNG) dual fuel operation in compression ignition (CI) engines. The diesel-CNG dual fuel operation mode has the potential to reduce both the soot and NOx emissions; however, the thermal efficiency is generally lower than that of the pure diesel operation, especially under the low and medium load conditions. The current experimental work investigates the potential of using diesel-1-butanol blends as the pilot fuel to improve the engine performance and emissions. Fuel blends of B0 (pure diesel), B10 (90% diesel and 10% 1-butanol by volume) and B20 (80% diesel and 20% 1-butanol) with 70% CNG substitution were compared based on an equivalent input energy at an engine speed of 1200 RPM. The results indicated that the diesel-1-butanol pilot fuel can lead to a more homogeneous mixture due to the longer ignition delay. Using certain multiple injection strategies under medium load (a diesel equivalent load of 20 mg/cycle), the diesel-1-butanol-CNG combustion mode can significantly improve the indicated thermal efficiency (ITE). B10 showed low unburned hydrocarbon (UHC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions; while B20 presented low NOx and soot emissions. The results also indicated that B20 case has the potential to obtain high ITE and low NOx and soot emissions simultaneously under low and medium load conditions.
CitationMeng, X., Nithyanandan, K., Lee, T., Li, Y. et al., "An Experimental Study of the Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine under Diesel-1-Butanol/CNG Dual Fuel Operation Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0788, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0788.
- Splitter, D., Reitz, R., and Hanson, R., "High Efficiency, Low Emissions RCCI Combustion by Use of a Fuel Additive," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):742-756, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2167.
- Hanson, R., Curran, S., Wagner, R., Kokjohn, S. et al., "Piston Bowl Optimization for RCCI Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):286-299, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0380.
- Splitter, D., Wissink, M., Kokjohn, S., and Reitz, R., "Effect of Compression Ratio and Piston Geometry on RCCI Load Limits and Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0383, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0383.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G. P., Jones, H. L., Rogak, S. N., Bushe, W. K. et al., "The Effects of High-Pressure Injection on a Compression-Ignition, Direct Injection of Natural Gas Engine," ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power.2006;129(2):579-588. doi:10.1115/1.2432894.
- Olsen, J., Crookes, R., and Bob-Manuel, K., "Experiments in Dual Fuelling a Compression Ignition Engine by Injecting Di-Methyl Ether as a Pilot Fuel to Ignite Varying Quantities of Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3624, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3624.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G. P., Reynolds, C. C. O., and Bushe, W. K., "Natural Gas Fuelling for Heavy-Duty on-Road Use: Current Trends and Future Direction," International Journal of Environmental Studies, 63 (4): 421-440, 2006, doi:10.1080/00207230600802056.
- Lounici, M. S., Loubar, K., Tarabet, L., Balistrou, M., et al., "Towards Improvement of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Mode: An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions," Energy 64, 200-211, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.091.
- Liu, Y. F., Liu, B., Liu, L., Zeng, K., et al. "Combustion Characteristics and Particulate Emission in a Natural-Gas Direct-Injection Engine: Effects of the Injection Timing and the Spark Timing," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 224 (8): 1071-1080, 2010, doi:10.1243/09544070JAUTO1532.
- Papagiannakis, R. G., and Hountalas, D. T., "Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Operated with Pilot Diesel Fuel and Natural Gas," Energy conversion and management 45 (18): 2971-2987, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2004.01.013
- Papagiannakis, R. G., Kotsiopoulos, P. N., Zannis, T. C., Yfantis, E. A., et al, "Theoretical Study of the Effects of Engine Parameters on Performance and Emissions of a Pilot Ignited Natural Gas Diesel Engine," Energy 35 (2): 1129-1138, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2009.06.006.
- Papagiannakis, R. G., Rakopoulos, C. D., Hountalas, D. T., and Rakopoulos, D. C., "Emission Characteristics of High Speed, Dual Fuel, Compression Ignition Engine Operating in a Wide Range of Natural Gas/Diesel Fuel Proportions," Fuel 89 (7): 1397-1406, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.001.
- Kusaka, J., Okamoto, T., Daisho, Y., Kihara, R., et al., "Combustion and Exhaust Gas Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas," JSAE review 21 (4): 489-496, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0389-4304(00)00071-0.
- López, J. M., Gómez, Á., Aparicio, F., and Sanchez, F. J., "Comparison of GHG Emissions from Diesel, Biodiesel and Natural Gas Refuse Trucks of the City of Madrid," Applied Energy 86 (5): 610-615, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2008.08.018.
- Stewart, J., Clarke, A., and Chen, R., "An Experimental Study of the Dual-Fuel Performance of a Small Compression Ignition Diesel Engine Operating with Three Gaseous Fuels," Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 221 (8): 943-956, 2007, doi:10.1243/09544070JAUTO458.
- Karavalakis, G., Durbin, T. D., Villela, M., and Miller, J. W., "Air Pollutant Emissions of Light-Duty Vehicles Operating on Various Natural Gas Compositions," Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 4, 8-16, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.jngse.2011.08.005.
- Namasivayam, A. M., Korakianitis, T., Crookes, R. J., Bob-Manuel, K. D. H., et al., "Biodiesel, Emulsified Biodiesel and Dimethyl Ether as Pilot Fuels for Natural Gas Fuelled Engines," Applied Energy 87 (3): 769-778, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.09.014.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A. M., and Crookes, R. J., "Diesel and Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) Pilot Fuels for Hydrogen and Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Combustion in Compression-Ignition Engines," Fuel 90 (7): 2384-2395, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.03.005.
- Yoon, S. H., and Lee, C. S., "Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Biogas-Biodiesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine," Fuel Processing Technology 92 (5): 992-1000, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2010.12.021.
- Ryu, K., "Effects of Pilot Injection Timing on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel-CNG Dual Fuel," Applied Energy 111, 721-730, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.046.
- Alla, G. H., Soliman, H. A., Badr, O. A., and Rabbo, M. F., "Effect of Injection Timing on the Performance of a Dual Fuel Engine," Energy conversion and Management 43 (2): 269-277, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00168-0.
- Azimov, U., Tomita, E., and Kawahara, N., "Ignition, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Micro-pilot Ignited Dual-fuel Engine Operated under PREMIER Combustion Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1764, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1764.
- Yang, B., Xi, C., Wei, X., Zeng, K., et al., "Parametric Investigation of Natural Gas Port Injection and Diesel Pilot Injection on the Combustion and Emissions of a Turbocharged Common Rail Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Load," Applied Energy 143, 130-137, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.037.
- Yang, B., Wei, X., Xi, C., Liu, Y., et al., "Experimental Study of the Effects of Natural Gas Injection Timing on the Combustion Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Common Rail Dual-Fuel Engine," Energy Conversion and Management 87, 297-304, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.07.030.
- Ishiyama, T., Kang, J., Ozawa, Y., and Sako, T., "Improvement of Performance and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions by Pilot-Fuel-Injection Control in a Lean-Burning Natural-Gas Dual-Fuel Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):243-253, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1963.
- Cheenkachorn, K., Poompipatpong, C., and Ho, C. G., "Performance and Emissions of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Fuelled with Diesel and LNG (Liquid Natural Gas)," Energy 53, 52-57, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.02.027.
- Imran, S., Emberson, D. R., Diez, A., Wen, D. S., et al., "Natural Gas Fueled Compression Ignition Engine Performance and Emissions Maps with Diesel and RME Pilot Fuels," Applied Energy 124, 354-365, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.02.067.
- Paul, A., Bose, P. K., Panua, R. S., and Banerjee, R., "An Experimental Investigation of Performance-Emission Trade off of a CI Engine Fueled by Diesel-Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Combination and Diesel-Ethanol Blends with CNG Enrichment," Energy 55, 787-802, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.04.002.
- Paul, A., Panua, R. S., Debroy, D., and Bose, P. K., "An Experimental Study of the Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine under Dual Fuel Mode Using CNG and Oxygenated Pilot Fuel Blends," Energy 86, 560-573, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.04.050.
- Nithyanandan, K., Zhang, J., Li, Y., Meng, X., et al., "Diesel-Like Efficiency Using Diesel/CNG Dual-Fuel Combustion," ASME Paper ICEF2015-1147 in Proceedings of the ASME 2015 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, Houston, TX, November 2015.
- Leick, M., "Optimizing Conventional Combustion and Implementing Low Temperature Combustion of Biodiesel in a Common-Rail High-Speed Direct-Injection Engine," MS Thesis, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering. Urbana, IL, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- Heywood J. B., "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals," 601, 1988
- Liu, J, Zhang, X., Wang, T., Zhang, J., et al., "Experimental and Numerical Study of the Pollution Formation in a Diesel/CNG Dual Fuel Engine," Fuel 159, 418-429, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.07.003.
- Siwale, L., Kristóf, L., Adam, T., Bereczky, A., et al., "Combustion and Emission Characteristics of n-Butanol/Diesel Fuel Blend in a Turbo-Charged Compression Ignition Engine," Fuel 107, 409-418, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2012.11.083.