This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Dual Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition with Direct Injection of Synthetic FT Kerosene Produced from Natural Gas and Port Fuel Injection of n-Butanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, Premixed Charge Compression Ignition (PCCI) was investigated with alternative fuels, S8 and n-butanol. The S8 fuel is a Fischer Tropsch (FT) synthetic paraffinic kerosene (SPK) produced from natural gas. PCCI was achieved with a dual-fuel combustion incorporating 65% (by mass) port fuel injection (PFI) of n-butanol and 35% (by mass) direct injection (DI) of S8 with 35% exhaust gas recirculation. The experiments were conducted at 1500 rpm and varied loads of 1-5 bar brake mean effective pressure (BMEP). The PCCI tests were compared to an ultra-low sulfur diesel no. 2 (ULSD#2) baseline in order to determine how the alternative fuels effects combustion, emissions, and efficiencies. At 3 and 5 bar BMEP, the heat release in the PCCI mode exhibited two regions of high temperature heat release, one occurring near top dead center (TDC) and corresponds to the ignition of S8 (CN 62), and a second stage occurring ATDC from n-butanol combustion (CN 28). At 1 bar BMEP, S8 PCCI displayed a single high temperature heat release with an extended diffusion burn phase.
Each PCCI experiment exhibited a drastic decrease in NOx emissions up to 95%. However, at 5 bar BMEP with EGR, the smoke limit was reached and as a result, the soot increased by over 500% and that can be attributed to the near stoichiometric combustion. At the lower loads, a simultaneous reduction in soot and NOx was observed for the PCCI case when compared to ULSD#2. At 3 bar BMEP, the soot decreased by 18% and NOx decreased by 92%. At 1 bar BMEP, soot decreased by 46% and NOx by 82%. A spike in carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbon emissions was observed for all PCCI cases. This increase can be attributed to wall wetting and crevice phenomenon coupled with cold EGR during the port fuel injection of n-butanol.
The alternative dual-fuels used in this study proved to be capable of achieving PCCI combustion at lower engine loads. Future studies include the use of a supercharger to increase the intake pressure and restore the relative air/fuel ratio and mitigate the soot emissions at higher loads with high EGR.
CitationSoloiu, V., Muinos, M., Harp, S., Naes, T. et al., "Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Dual Fuel Premixed Charge Compression Ignition with Direct Injection of Synthetic FT Kerosene Produced from Natural Gas and Port Fuel Injection of n-Butanol," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0787, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0787.
- Gray, A. W., Ryan, T. W., Roberts, C. E., and Dodge, L. G., "Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Emissions Formation," SAE Technical Paper 1998-06-02, 1998,
- Aceves, S., Flowers, D., Espinosa-Loza, F., Martinez-Frias, J. et al., "Spatial Analysis of Emissions Sources for HCCI Combustion at Low Loads Using a Multi-Zone Model," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1910, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1910.
- Benajes, J., Tormos, B., Garcia, A., and Monsalve-Serrano, J., "Impact of Spark Assistance and Multiple Injections on Gasoline PPC Light Load," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1875-1887, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2669.
- Das, P., Subbarao, P., and Subrahmanyam, J., "Effect of Cetane Number and Fuel Properties on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of an HCCI-DI Combustion Engine Using a Novel Dual Injection Strate
- Rask, R., Najt, P., Kuo, T. W., Assanis, D., et al., "Characterizing the thermal sensitivity of a gasoline homogeneous charge compression ignition engine with measurements of instantaneous wall temperature and heat flux," International Journal of Engine Research, 6 (4): 289-310, 2005,10.1243/146808705x30558.
- Lu, X., Han, D., and Huang, Z., "Fuel design and management for the control of advanced compression-ignition combustion modes," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 37 (6): 741-783, 2011,10.1016/j.pecs.2011.03.003.
- Kiplimo, R., Tomita, E., Kawahara, N., and Yokobe, S., "Effects of spray impingement, injection parameters, and EGR on the combustion and emission characteristics of a PCCI diesel engine," Applied Thermal Engineering, 37: 165-175, 2012,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.11.011.
- Han, M., Assanis, D. N., and Bohac, S. V., "Sources of Hydrocarbon Emissions from Low-Temperature Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion from a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine," Combustion Science and Technology, 181 (3): 496-517, 2009,10.1080/00102200802530066.
- Boot, M. D., Luijten, C. C. M., Rijk, E. P., Albrecht, B. A., et al., Boot, M., Luijten, C., Rijk, E., Albrecht, B. et al., "Optimization of Operating Conditions in the Early Direct Injection Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Regime," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0048, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0048.
- Jia, M., Xie, M., Wang, T., and Peng, Z., "The effect of injection timing and intake valve close timing on performance and emissions of diesel PCCI engine with a full engine cycle CFD simulation," Applied Energy, 88 (9): 2967-2975, 2011,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.03.024.
- Heywood, J., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, 1988.
- Hanson, R., Curran, S., Wagner, R., Kokjohn, S. et al., "Piston Bowl Optimization for RCCI Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):286-299, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0380.
- Splitter, D., Wissink, M., Kokjohn, S., and Reitz, R., "Effect of Compression Ratio and Piston Geometry on RCCI Load Limits and Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0383, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0383.
- Torregrosa, A. J., Broatch, A., García, A., and Mónico, L. F., "Sensitivity of combustion noise and NOx and soot emissions to pilot injection in PCCI Diesel engines," Applied Energy, 104: 149-157, 2013,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.11.040.
- Han, D., Ickes, A. M., Assanis, D. N., Huang, Z., et al., "Attainment and Load Extension of High-Efficiency Premixed Low-Temperature Combustion with Dieseline in a Compression Ignition Engine," Energy & Fuels, 24 (6): 3517-3525, 2010,10.1021/ef100269c.
- Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R., "An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):700-716, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0864.
- Kokjohn, S., Hanson, R., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R., "Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):24-39, 2010, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2647.
- Mancaruso, E. and Vaglieco, B., "UV-Visible Spectroscopic Measurements of Dual-Fuel PCCI Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4(2):271-281, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0061.
- Mancaruso, E. and Vaglieco, B., "Characterization of PCCI Combustion in a Single Cylinder CI Engine Fuelled with RME and Bio-Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1672, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1672.
- Soloiu, V., Muinos, M., and Harp, S., "Investigation of Dual Fuel PCCI (PFI of n-Butanol and DI-ULSD) Compared with DI of Binary Mixtures of the Same Fuels in an Omnivorous Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0857, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0857.
- Soloiu, V., Duggan, M., Ochieng, H., Williams, D., et al., "Investigation of Low Temperature Combustion Regimes of Biodiesel with n-Butanol in the Intake Manifold of a Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper ICEF2012-92053, Vancouver, B.C., 2012,
- Soloiu, V., Duggan, M., Harp, S., Vlcek, B., et al., "PFI (port fuel injection) of n-butanol and direct injection of biodiesel to attain LTC (low-temperature combustion) for low-emissions idling in a compression engine," Energy, 52: 143-154, 2013a,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.01.023.
- Lee, J., Chu, S., Cha, J., Choi, H. et al., "An Investigation into the Operating Strategy for the Dual-Fuel PCCI Combustion with Propane and Diesel under a High EGR Rate Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0854, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0854.
- Lee, J., Choi, S., Kim, G., Kim, D. et al., "A Study of Emissions Reduction through Dual-Fuel Combustion with Propane in a Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2669, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2669.
- Chu, S., Lee, J., Cha, J., Choi, H. et al., "An Experimental Investigation of Injection and Operating Strategies on Diesel Single Cylinder Engine under JP-8 and Dual-Fuel PCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0844, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0844.
- Dunbeck, P. and Reitz, R., "An Experimental Study of Dual Fueling with Gasoline Port Injection in a Single-Cylinder, Air-Cooled HSDI Diesel Generator," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0869, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0869.
- Mohamed Ibrahim, M., Varuna Narasimhan, J., and Ramesh, A., "Comparison of the predominantly premixed charge compression ignition and the dual fuel modes of operation with biogas and diesel as fuels," Energy, 89: 990-1000, 2015,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.06.033.
- Yang, B., Li, S., Zheng, Z., Yao, M. et al., "A Comparative Study on Different Dual-Fuel Combustion Modes Fuelled with Gasoline and Diesel," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0694, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0694.
- d’Ambrosio, S. and Ferrari, A., "Effects of exhaust gas recirculation in diesel engines featuring late PCCI type combustion strategies," Energy Conversion and Management, 105: 1269-1280, 2015,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.001.
- Abu-Jrai, A., Rodríguez-Fernández, J., Tsolakis, A., Megaritis, A., et al., "Performance, combustion and emissions of a diesel engine operated with reformed EGR. Comparison of diesel and GTL fuelling," Fuel, 88 (6): 1031-1041, 2009,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2008.12.001.
- Gill, S. S., Tsolakis, A., Dearn, K. D., and Rodríguez-Fernández, J., "Combustion characteristics and emissions of Fischer-Tropsch diesel fuels in IC engines," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 37 (4): 503-523, 2011,10.1016/j.pecs.2010.09.001.
- Alleman, T. and McCormick, R., "Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuels - Properties and Exhaust Emissions: A Literature Review," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0763, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0763.
- Cowart, J., Sink, E., Slye, P., Caton, P. et al., "Performance, Efficiency and Emissions Comparison of Diesel Fuel and a Fischer-Tropsch Synthetic Fuel in a CFR Single Cylinder Diesel Engine during High Load Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2382, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-2382.
- Labeckas, G. and Slavinskas, S., "Combustion phenomenon, performance and emissions of a diesel engine with aviation turbine JP-8 fuel and rapeseed biodiesel blends," Energy Conversion and Management, 105: 216-229, 2015,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.065.
- Atkinson, C., Thompson, G., Traver, M., and Clark, N., "In-Cylinder Combustion Pressure Characteristics of Fischer-Tropsch and Conventional Diesel Fuels in a Heavy Duty CI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1472, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1472.
- Hansen, G., Frame, E. A., and Sattler, E., "Fischer Tropsch Synthethic Fuel Evaluations HMMWV Test Track Evaluations," U.S. Army TARDEC Fuels and Lubricants Research Facility, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), San Antonio, Texas TFLRF No. 400, 2009.
- Kitano, K., Sakata, I., and Clark, R., "Effects of GTL Fuel Properties on DI Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3763, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3763.
- Lapuerta, M., Armas, O., Hernández, J. J., and Tsolakis, A., "Potential for reducing emissions in a diesel engine by fuelling with conventional biodiesel and Fischer-Tropsch diesel," Fuel, 89 (10): 3106-3113, 2010,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.05.013.
- McMillian, M. and Gautam, M., "Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Fischer-Tropsch and Standard Diesel Fuel in a Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3517, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3517.
- Gowdagiri, S., Cesari, X. M., Huang, M., and Oehlschlaeger, M. A., "A diesel engine study of conventional and alternative diesel and jet fuels: Ignition and emissions characteristics," Fuel, 136: 253-260, 2014,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2014.07.056.
- Torregrosa, A. J., Broatch, A., Plá, B., and Mónico, L. F., "Impact of Fischer-Tropsch and biodiesel fuels on trade-offs between pollutant emissions and combustion noise in diesel engines," Biomass and Bioenergy, 52: 22-33, 2013,10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.03.004.
- Moses, C. A., "Comparative Evaluation of Semi-Synthetic Jet Fuels," U.S. Air Force Research Laboratories, New Braunfels, Texas2008.
- Lebedevas, S., Lebedeva, G., Sendzikiene, E., and Makareviciene, V., "Investigation of the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel Fuel Containing Butanol under the Conditions of Diesel Engine Operation," ENERGY AND FUELS, 24 (4): 4503-4509, 2010
- Ramey, D. and Yang, S.-T., "Production of Butyric Acid and Butanol from Biomass," U.S. Department of Energy2004.
- Soloiu, V., Muinos, M., Naes, T., Harp, S., et al., "RCCI of Synthetic Kerosene with PFI of n-Butanol - Combustion and Emisisons Characteristics," in ASME ICEF, ICEF2015-1154, 2015.
- Wadumesthrige, K., Ng, K., and Salley, S., "Properties of Butanol-Biodiesel-ULSD Ternary Mixtures," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):660-670, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2133.
- Tshiteya, R. M., Vermiglio, E. N., and Tice, S., "Properties of Alcohol Transportation Fuels, Alcohol Fuels Reference Work #1," Biofuels System Division, Office of Alternative Fuels, Department of Energy, Alexandria, VA1991.
- Ryder, R., Hendricks, R. C., Huber, M. L., and Shouse, D. T., "Computational Analysis of Dynamic SPK(S8)-JP-8 Fueled Combustor-Sector Performance," ISROMAC Technical Paper Number 13-2010-61, 2010.
- Soloiu, V., Rivero-Castillo, A., Muinos, M., Duggan, M. et al., "Simultaneous Reduction of NOX and Soot in a Diesel Engine through RCCI Operation with PFI of n-butanol and DI of Cottonseed Biodiesel," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1322, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1322.
- Wheeler, A. J. and Ganji, A. R., Introduction to Engineering Experimentation. New Jersey, USA: Pearson Higher Education, 2010.
- Dec, J. and Yang, Y., "Boosted HCCI for High Power without Engine Knock and with Ultra-Low NOx Emissions - using Conventional Gasoline," SAE Int. J. Engines 3(1):750-767, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1086.
- Soloiu, V., Harp, S., Watson, C., Muinos, M. et al., "Performance of an IDI Engine Fueled with Fatty Acid Methyl Esters Formulated from Cotton Seeds Oils," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(2):277-289, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0806.
- Chen, Z., Liu, J., Wu, Z., and Lee, C., "Effects of port fuel injection (PFI) of n-butanol and EGR on combustion and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine," Energy Conversion and Management, 76: 725-731, 2013,http://dx.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2013.08.030.
- Plee, S. L., Ahmad, T., Myers, J. P., and Faeth, G. M., "Diesel NOx Emissions - A Simple Correlation Technique for Intake Air Effects," in Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, Pittsburgh, PA, 1983, pp. 1495-1502
- Turns, S., An Introduction to Combustion Concepts and Applications. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2012.
- Ahmad, T. and Plee, S., "Application of Flame Temperature Correlations to Emissions from a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 831734, 1983, doi:10.4271/831734.
- Tsang, K. S., Zhang, Z. H., Cheung, C. S., and Chan, T. L., "Reducing Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Ethanol and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst," Energy & Fuels, 24 (11): 6156-6165, 2010,10.1021/ef100899z.