This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Sensitivity Study of Partially Premixed Combustion by Using Shadowgraphy and OH* Chemiluminescence Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) is a promising combustion concept for future IC engines. However, controllability of PPC is still a challenge and needs more investigation. The scope of the present study is to investigate the ignition sensitivity of PPC to the injection timing at different injection pressures. To better understand this, high-speed shadowgraphy is used to visualize fuel injection and evaporation at different Start of Injections (SOI). Spray penetration and injection targeting are derived from shadowgraphy movies. OH* chemiluminescence is used to comprehensively study the stratification level of combustion which is helpful for interpretation of ignition sensitivity behavior. Shadowgraphy results confirm that SOI strongly affects the spray penetration and evaporation of fuel. However, spray penetration and ignition sensitivity are barely affected by the injection pressure. There is a critical SOI range, in which a significant amount of fuel is trapped in the crevice volume. Injection in this critical range has a negative influence on the combustion efficiency and ignition sensitivity. Impingement of liquid fuel on the piston crown advances the combustion phasing by providing higher levels of stratification. Moreover, results of combustion stratification study show that stratification level has an inverse correlation with combustion phasing of PPC for late injections.
CitationIzadi Najafabadi, M., Dam, N., Somers, B., and Johansson, B., "Ignition Sensitivity Study of Partially Premixed Combustion by Using Shadowgraphy and OH* Chemiluminescence Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0761, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0761.
- Hildingsson, L., Kalghatgi, G., Tait, N., Johansson, B. et al., "Fuel Octane Effects in the Partially Premixed Combustion Regime in Compression Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2648, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2648.
- Noehre, C., Andersson, M., Johansson, B., and Hultqvist, A., "Characterization of Partially Premixed Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3412, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3412.
- Lewander, M., Ekholm, K., Johansson, B., Tunestål, P. et al., "Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics with Focus on Partially Premixed Combustion in a Heavy Duty Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):1063-1074, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1658.
- Yin, L., Ingesson, G., Shamun, S., Tunestal, P. et al., "Sensitivity Analysis of Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) for Control Purposes," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0884, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0884.
- Kunkulagunta, K., "Video Imaging and Analysis of Common Rail Sprays in an Optical Engine Using Shadowgraphy Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1255, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1255.
- Pastor, J., and García, J., Pastor, J., Zapata, L., "Evaporating Diesel Spray Visualization using a Double-pass Shadowgraphy/Schlieren imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0026, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0026.
- Kaiser, S.A., Salazar, V.M., and Hoops, A.A., "Schlieren measurements in the round cylinder of an optically accessible internal combustion engine," Appl. Opt. 52(14): 3433-3443, 2013, doi:10.1364/AO.52.003433.
- Weinrotter, M., Wintner, E., Iskra, K., Neger, T. et al., "Optical Diagnostics of Laser-Induced and Spark Plug-Assisted HCCI Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0129, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0129.
- Fujikawa, T., Ozasa, T., and Kozuka, K., "Development of Transparent Cylinder Engines for Schlieren Observation," SAE Technical Paper 881632, 1988, doi:10.4271/881632.
- Ozasa, T., Kozuka, K., and Fujikawa, T., "Schlieren Observations of In-Cylinder Phenomena Concerning a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 982696, 1998, doi:10.4271/982696.
- Kozuka, K., Ozasa, T., Fujikawa, T., and Saito, A., "Schlieren observation of spark-ignited premixed charge combustion phenomena using a transparent collimating cylinder engine," J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 125:336-343, 2003, doi:10.1115/1.1564068.
- Founti, M., Hardalupas, Y., Hong, C., Keramiotis, C. et al., "An Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Diluent Addition on Flame Characteristics in a Single Cylinder Optical Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2438, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2438.
- Tanov, S., Collin, R., Johansson, B., and Tuner, M., "Combustion Stratification with Partially Premixed Combustion, PPC, using NVO and Split Injection in a LD - Diesel Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1911-1919, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2677.
- Zegers, R., Aussems, J., Somers, L., Dam, N. et al., "Correlating Flame Location and Ignition Delay in Partially Premixed Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1579, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1579.
- Li, Z., Yu, X., Lequien, G., Lind, T. et al., "Comparison of the Lift-Off Lengths Obtained by Simultaneous OH-LIF and OH* Chemiluminescence Imaging in an Optical Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2418, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2418.
- Bowditch, F., "A New Tool for Combustion Research A Quartz Piston Engine," SAE Technical Paper 610002, 1961, doi:10.4271/610002.
- Bakker, P., De Abreu Goes, J., Somers, L., and Johansson, B., "Characterization of Low Load PPC Operation using RON70 Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1304, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1304.
- Desantes, J.M., López, J.J., Molina, S., and López-Pintor, D., “Design of synthetic EGR and simulation study of the effect of simplified formulations on the ignition delay of isooctane and nheptane,” Energy Convers. Manage. 96:521-531, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.03.003.
- Woschni, G. and Fieger, J., “Determination of Local Heat Transfer Coefficients at the Piston of a High Speed Diesel Engine by Evaluation of Measured Temperature Distribution,” SAE Technical Paper 790834, 1979, doi:10.4271/790834.
- Gatowski, J., Balles, E., Chun, K., Nelson, F. et al., "Heat Release Analysis of Engine Pressure Data," SAE Technical Paper 841359, 1984, doi:10.4271/841359.
- Heywood, J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill 1988.
- Myong, K., Arai, M., Suzuki, H., Senda, J. et al., "Vaporization Characteristics and Liquid-Phase Penetration for Multi-Component Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0529, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0529.
- Kim, K., Bae, C., and Johansson, B., "Spray and Combustion Visualization of Gasoline and Diesel under Different Ambient Conditions in a Constant Volume Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2547, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2547.