This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Variations in Fuel Spray, Combustion, and Soot Production in an Optical Diesel Engine Operating Under High Simulated Exhaust Gas Recirculation Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder visualization experiments were completed using an International VT275-based optical DI Diesel engine operating under high simulated exhaust gas recirculation combustion conditions. Experiments were run at four load conditions to examine variations in fuel spray, combustion, and soot production. Mass fraction burned analyses of pressure data were used to investigate the combustion processes of the various operating conditions. An infrared camera was used to visualize fuel spray events and exothermic combustion gases. A visible, high-speed camera was used to image natural luminosity produced by soot. The recorded images were post-processed to analyze the fuel spray, the projected exothermic areas produced by combustion, as well as soot production of different load conditions. Probability maps of combustion and fuel spray occurrence in the cylinder are presented for insight into the combustion processes of the different conditions. From the analysis presented in this paper, it is observed that, as load is increased, different combustion patterns occur, leading to differences in the patterns of combustion and where soot is produced.
CitationSquibb, C., Schock, H., Vedula, R., and Stuecken, T., "Analysis of Variations in Fuel Spray, Combustion, and Soot Production in an Optical Diesel Engine Operating Under High Simulated Exhaust Gas Recirculation Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0727, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0727.
- Musculus, M., "Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0079, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0079.
- Van Basshuysen, R. and Schäfer, F., “Internal Combustion Engine Handbook-Basics, Components, Systems and Perspectives,” (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 2004), doi:10.4271/R-345.
- Larsson, A., "Optical Studies in a DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3650, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-3650.
- Schulz C., “Optical diagnostics in diesel combustion engines” in Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development: Diesel Engines, Zhao, H. (ed), pp 617-643, 2009
- Jansons, M., Lin, S., and Rhee, K., “Infrared Spectral Analysis of Engine Preflame Emission,” International Journal of Engine Research 9(3):215-237, 2008, doi:10.1243/14680874JER00408.
- Squibb, C., Schock, H., Stuecken, T., Poort, M. et al., "A Demonstration of Simultaneous Infrared and Visible Imaging Techniques with Pressure Data in an Optically Accessible Diesel Engine Operating at Part Load with High EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1395, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1395.
- Mittal, M. and Schock, H., “A Study of Cycle-to-Cycle Variations and the Influence of Charge Motion Control on In-Cylinder Flow in an IC Engine,” Journal of Fluids Engineering 132(5):051107, 2010, doi:10.1115/1.4001617.
- Petersen, B. and Miles, P., "PIV Measurements in the Swirl-Plane of a Motored Light-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):1623-1641, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1285.
- Wang, Z., Tanov, S., Wang, H., Richter, M. et al., "High-Speed Particle Image Velocimetry Measurement of Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) in a Light Duty Engine for Different Injection Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2454, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2454.
- Cao, Z.M., Nishino, K., Mizuno, S., and Torii, K., “PIV measurement of internal structure of diesel fuel spray,” Experiments in fluids 29(1):S211-S219, 2000, doi:10.1007/s003480070023.
- Kim, K., Kim, D., Jung, Y., and Bae, C., “Spray and combustion characteristics of gasoline and diesel in a direct injection compression ignition engine,” Fuel 109:616-626, 2013
- Idicheria, C. and Pickett, L., "Quantitative Mixing Measurements in a Vaporizing Diesel Spray by Rayleigh Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0647, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0647.
- Berrocal, E., Kristensson, E., Hottenbach, P., Aldén, M. and Grünefeld, G., “Quantitative imaging of a non-combusting diesel spray using structured laser illumination planar imaging,” Applied Physics B 109(4):683-694, 2012, doi: 10.1007/s00340-012-5237-9.
- Eagle, W.E., Morris, S.B. and Wooldridge, M.S., “High-speed imaging of transient diesel spray behavior during high pressure injection of a multi-hole fuel injector,” Fuel 116:299-309, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.07.120.
- Petersen B., Sahoo D., and Miles P.C., “Review of equivalence ratio measurements in a light-duty diesel engine operating in a light-load partially premixed regime,” presented at THIESEL 2012, Spain, September 11-14, 2012.
- Bates, S., "Flame Imaging Studies of Cycle-by-Cycle Combustion Variation in a SI Four-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 892086, 1989, doi:10.4271/892086.
- Kuwahara, K., Ando, H., “Diagnostics of in-cylinder flow, mixing and combustion in gasoline engines”, Measurement Science and technology 11(6):R95, 2000, doi: 10.1088/0957-0233/11/6/202.
- Müller, S., Arndt, S., and Dreizler, A., "Analysis of the In-Cylinder Flow Field / Spray Injection Interaction within a DISI IC Engine Using High-Speed PIV," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1288, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1288.
- Dembinski, H. and Angstrom, H., "Swirl and Injection Pressure Impact on After-Oxidation in Diesel Combustion, Examined with Simultaneous Combustion Image Velocimetry and Two Colour Optical Method," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0913, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0913.
- Kiplimo, R., Tomita, E., Kawahara, N., and Yokobe, S., “Effects of spray impingement, injection parameters, and EGR on the combustion and emission characteristics of a PCCI diesel engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 37:165-175, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.11.011.
- Dec, J., "A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging*," SAE Technical Paper 970873, 1997, doi:10.4271/970873.
- Musculus, M., Miles, P., and Pickett, L., “Conceptual models for partially premixed low-temperature diesel combustion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39(2):246-283, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2012.09.001.
- Bobba, M., Genzale, C., and Musculus, M., "Effect of Ignition Delay on In-Cylinder Soot Characteristics of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Operating at Low Temperature Conditions," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):911-924, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0946.
- Cong, S., McTaggart-Cowan, G., and Garner, C., "Effects of Fuel Injection Parameters on Low Temperature Diesel Combustion Stability," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0611, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0611.
- Divekar, P., Han, X., Yu, S., Chen, X. et al., "The Impact of Intake Dilution and Combustion Phasing on the Combustion Stability of a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1294, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1294.
- Faye, A., Kou, Q., Farrenq, R., and Guelachvili, G., “High-Resolution Fourier Transform Spectroscopy of 14N2: Analysis of the (1-0), (2-1) Bands of the B3Πg-W3Δu System,” Journal of Molecular Spectroscopy 197(2):147-157, 1999, doi:10.1006/jmsp.1999.7913.
- Faye, A., Kou, Q., Farrenq, R., Picqué, N. and Guelachvili, G., “Time-resolved Fourier transform spectroscopy applied to collisional relaxation study of the B 3Πgv= 0 level of N2 in a pulsed electrical discharge,” Applied Physics D 35(21):2704, 2002, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/35/21/303.
- Malkmus, W., “Infrared Emissivity of Carbon Dioxide (4.3-µ Band),” Journal of the Optical Society of America 53(8):951-960, 1963, doi:10.1364/JOSA.53.000951.
- Coppalle, A. and Vervisch, P., “The total emissivities of high-temperature flames,” Combustion and Flame, 49(1):101-108, 1983, doi:10.1016/0010-2180(83)90154-2.
- Upatnieks, A. and Mueller, C., "Investigation of the Relationship Between DI Diesel Combustion Processes and Engine-Out Soot Using an Oxygenated Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1400, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1400.
- Mueller, C. and Martin, G., "Effects of Oxygenated Compounds on Combustion and Soot Evolution in a DI Diesel Engine:Broadband Natural Luminosity Imaging," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1631, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1631.
- Lilik, G., Mueller, C., Dumitrescu, C., and Gehrke, C., "The Visualization of Soot Late in the Diesel Combustion Process by Laser Induced Incandescence with a Vertical Laser Sheet," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(2):716-734, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0801.
- Hung, D., Chmiel, D., and Markle, L., "Application of an Imaging-based Diagnostic Technique to Quantify the Fuel Spray Variations in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0062, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0062.
- Pastor, J., García, J., Pastor, J., and Buitrago, J., "Analysis Methodology of Diesel Combustion by Using Flame Luminosity, Two-Colour Method and Laser-Induced Incandescence," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-012, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-24-012.
- Ahmed, S.F., Balachandran, R., Marchione, T., and Mastorakos, E., “Spark ignition of turbulent nonpremixed bluff-body flames”, Combustion and Flame 151(1):366-385, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2007.06.012.
- Zhu, J., Kuti, O.A., and Nishida, K., “An investigation of the effects of fuel injection pressure, ambient gas density and nozzle hole diameter on surrounding gas flow of a single diesel spray by the laser-induced fluorescence-particle image velocimetry technique,” International Journal of Engine Research 14(6):630-645, 2013, doi:10.1177/1468087412458778.
- Polonowski, C., Mueller, C., Gehrke, C., Bazyn, T. et al., "An Experimental Investigation of Low-Soot and Soot-Free Combustion Strategies in a Heavy-Duty, Single-Cylinder, Direct-Injection, Optical Diesel Engine," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):51-77, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1812.