This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations of Smoke Emission, Fuel Dilution and Pre-Ignition in a 2.0L Turbo-Charged GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine downsizing has become a leading trend for fuel consumption reduction while maintaining the high specific power and torque output. Because of this, Turbo-charged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) technology has been widely applied in passenger vehicles even though a number of technical challenges are presented during the engine development.
This paper presents the investigation results of three key issues in the combustion development of a 2.0L TGDI engine at SAIC motor: fuel dilution, smoke emission and low speed stochastic pre-ignition(LSPI). The effect of the injection timing and injection strategy on fuel dilution and smoke emission, and LSPI are the focus of the experimental study.
Dyno test results show that early fuel injection induces severe piston wetting and results in high smoke emission, reversely, retarding injection too far produces higher fuel dilution and increases smoke emission too due to the fuel spray impinging on the liner..There is a short time for evaporation and mixing of the fuel based on the constrained injection timing window, particularly in the higher load operation.
Test results on this engine show that using the double injection can effectively reduce LSPI occurrence, by reducing the liner impingement. This indicates that the higher fuel dilution on cylinder wall is likely one of the key mechanism for the occurrence of LSPI events in this engine.
|Technical Paper||An Introduction to How Low Speed Pre Ignition Affects Engine Components|
|Technical Paper||Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines|
CitationXu, Z., Zhou, Z., Wu, T., Li, T. et al., "Investigations of Smoke Emission, Fuel Dilution and Pre-Ignition in a 2.0L Turbo-Charged GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0698, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0698.
- Bandel , W. , Fraidl , G. , Kapus , P. , Sikinger , H. et al. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1266
- Radwan , M. , Helali , A. , Elfeky , S. , and Attai , Y. An Investigation on Knock and Pre-ignition with Tumble Induced Turbulence SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3557 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3557
- Haenel , P. , Seyfried , P. , Kleeberg , H. , and Tomazic , D. Systematic Approach to Analyze and Characterize Pre-ignition Events in Turbocharged Direct-injected Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0343 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0343
- Sasaki , N. and Nakata , K. Effect of Fuel Components on Engine Abnormal Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1276 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1276
- Amer , A. , Babiker , H. , Chang , J. , Kalghatgi , G. et al. Fuel Effects on Knock in a Highly Boosted Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 5 3 1048 1065 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1634
- Welling , O. , Moss , J. , Williams , J. , and Collings , N. Measuring the Impact of Engine Oils and Fuels on Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Downsized Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7 1 1 8 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1219
- Lindagren , R. and Denbratt , I. Influence of Wall Properties on the Characteristics of a Gasoline Spray After Wall Impingement SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1951 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1951
- Hu , T. , Teng , H. , Luo , X. , and Chen , B. Impact of Fuel Injection on Dilution of Engine Crankcase Oil for Turbocharged Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1107 1116 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0967
- Qian , C, J. , Xin , J. , Ping , Y, S. , Cai , D, B. et al. A New 2.0l and 1.8l Medium Size Turbocharged GDI Engine Development[C] China:4th Aachen Colloquium China Automobile and Engine Technology Beijing 2014
- Zaccardi , J.M. , Laget , O. and Pagot , A. Investigations on The Effects of In-Cylinder Charge Motion and Injection Mode on Pre-Ignition in Highly Boosted Spark Ignition Engines Germany:19th Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug-und Motorentechnik Aachen 2010
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Lee , H. , Kim , J. , Hwang , K. , Kim , Y. et al. Hyundai-Kia’s New 3-Cylinder 1.0L Turbo GDI Engine 36th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2015
- Chapman , E. , Davis , R. , Studzinski , W. , and Geng , P. Fuel Octane and Volatility Effects on the Stochastic Pre-Ignition Behavior of a 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged DI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7 2 379 389 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1226
- Welling , O. , Collings , N. , Williams , J. , and Moss , J. Impact of Lubricant Composition on Low-speed Pre-Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1213 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1213
- Hirano , S. , Yamashita , M. , Fujimoto , K. , and Kato , K. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2) SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2569