This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of O2 Addition on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions from a Small Displacement SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the effect of the oxygen addition on engine performance and exhaust emissions was investigated. The experimental study was carried out in a small single-cylinder PFI SI four-stroke engine. The addition of the 5% vol and 10% vol of oxygen was performed in the intake duct. Typical urban driving operating conditions were investigated. The engine emissions were characterized by means of gaseous analyzers and a smokemeter. Particle size distribution function was measured in the size range from 5.6 to 560 nm by means of an Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer (EEPS). An improvement in terms of engine power output, without BSFC penalty, and HC emissions with oxygen addition was observed at all the investigated operating conditions. On the other hand, NOx and PM emissions increase.
CitationCatapano, F., Di Iorio, S., Luise, L., Sementa, P. et al., "Experimental Analysis of O2 Addition on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions from a Small Displacement SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0697, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0697.
- Mehta B., Patel H., and Patel P., “Opportunity to improve the engine performance and emission characteristics by using oxygen enriched”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering Issue 6, Volume 2, 2015.
- Gronkvist S., Bryngelsson M., and Westermark M. “Oxygen efficiency with regard to carbon capture”, Energy (2006); 31: 3220-3226.
- Belohradský P., Skryja P., and Hudák I., “Experimental study on the influence of oxygen content in the combustion air on the combustion characteristics”, Energy (2014); 75: 116-126
- Cole R.L., Sekar R.R., Stodosky F.S., and Marciniak T.J., 1990. “Technical and economic evaluation of diesel engine with oxygen enrichment and water injection”. ASME paper No. 90-ICE-1.
- Chin J.S., “Analysis of the effect of oxygen addition on minimum ignition energy”, J. Energy 7 (1983) 710-715.
- Baskar P., and Senthilkumar A., “Effects of oxygen enriched combustion on pollution and performance characteristics of a diesel engine”, Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 2015 doi:10.1016/j.jestch.2015.08.011
- Liang Y., Shu G., Wei H., and Zhang W., “Effect of oxygen enriched combustion and water-diesel emulsion on the performance and emissions of turbocharged diesel engine”, Energy Conv. Manage. 73 (2013) 69-77.
- Wu Y.Y. and Hung K.D. “Improving the performance of a small spark ignition engine by using oxygen- enriched intake air”, SAE2007-32-0004, JSAE20076504.
- Caton, J., "Use of a Cycle Simulation Incorporating the Second Law of Thermodynamics: Results for Spark-Ignition Engines Using Oxygen Enriched Combustion Air," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1130, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1130.
- Zhou, J., Richard, S., Mounaïm-Rousselle, C., and Foucher, F., Mounaïm-Rousselle, C., and Foucher, F., "Effects of Controlling Oxygen Concentration on the Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics in a Downsized SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0056, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0056.
- Galloni E., Fontana G., and Palmaccio R., “Effects of exhaust gas recycle in a downsized gasoline engine”, Applied Energy 105 (2013) 99-10.
- Su J., Xu M., Li T., Gao Y., and Wang J. “Combined effects of cooled EGR and a higher geometric compressions ratio on thermal efficiency improvement of a downsized boosted spark-ignition direction-injection engine”. Energy Conv. Manage. 78 (2014); 65-73.
- Heywood J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill Book Co, 1988.
- UNECE. (2010). Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Vehicles with Regard to the Emission of Pollutants According to Engine Fuel Requirements (83).
- Rakopoulos, C., Hountalas, D., Zannis, T., and Levendis, Y., "Operational and Environmental Evaluation of Diesel Engines Burning Oxygen-Enriched Intake Air or Oxygen-Enriched Fuels: A Review," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2924, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2924.
- Zhou, J.X., Cordier M., Mounaïm-Rousselle C. and Foucher F., Experimental estimate of the laminar burning velocity of isooctane in oxygen-enriched and CO2-diluted air. Combustion and Flame, 2011. 158(12): p. 2375-2383.
- Friedman, R. and Johnston W.C., The Wall-Quenching of Laminar Propane Flames as a Function of Pressure, Temperature, and Air Fuel Ratio. Journal of Applied Physics, 1950. 21(8): p. 791-795.
- Mazas, A.N., Fiorina B., Lacoste D.A. and Schuller T., Effects of water vapor addition on the laminar burning velocity of oxygen-enriched methane flames. Combustion and Flame, 2011. 158(12): p. 2428-2440.
- Zhao H. advanced direct injection combustion engine technologies and development. Gasoline and gas engines, vol. 1. Woodhead Publishing; 2010.
- Kittelson, D.B., “Engine and nanoparticles: a review,” J. Aerosol Sci., Vol. 29, No. 5/6, pp. 575-588, 1998.