This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Efficiency Diesel Engine with Low Heat Loss Combustion Concept - Toyota’s Inline 4-Cylinder 2.8-Liter ESTEC 1GD-FTV Engine -
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A highly efficient new 2.8-liter inline 4-cylinder diesel engine has been developed in response to growing demand for diesel engines and to help save energy while providing high-torque performance. Engine efficiency was improved by reducing cooling loss based on an innovative combustion concept applied across the whole engine. Cooling loss was reduced by restricting in-cylinder gas flows and improving combustion chamber insulation. To prevent the restricted gas flows from affecting emissions, a new combustion chamber shape was developed that increased air utilization in the cylinder through optimizing the in-cylinder fuel distribution. Combustion chamber insulation was improved by a new insulation coat that changes the wall surface temperature in accordance with the gas temperature. This reduces cooling loss and avoids the trade-off effect of intake air heating. To adopt this combustion concept while improving power/ performance, it was necessary to adjust the characteristics of the intake and exhaust ports to emphasize high flows. This was achieved by adopting new intake ports with separated functions, optimizing the diameter and layout of the intake valve, and increasing the overall efficiency of the intake/exhaust system. Since optimizing the ports shapes required greater design freedom, a new cylinder head gasket with high sealing performance was developed, and a 92 mm-diameter bore was adopted with only four head bolts. By adopting this combustion concept across the whole engine, and incorporating various friction reduction technologies, the new engine reduces CO2 emissions by approximately 15% compared to the previous model and achieves a maximum thermal efficiency of approximately 44%.
CitationKogo, T., Hamamura, Y., Nakatani, K., Toda, T. et al., "High Efficiency Diesel Engine with Low Heat Loss Combustion Concept - Toyota’s Inline 4-Cylinder 2.8-Liter ESTEC 1GD-FTV Engine -," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0658, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0658.
- Kobayashi , S. IPCC Activity for Global Warming and Role of Automotive Industry Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 62 11 22 27 2008
- Hori , M. Future Prospect of Eco-Diesel Engines Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 60 9 6 11 2006
- Aoyagi , Y. et al. Diesel Combustion and Emission Study by Use of High Boost and High Injection Pressure in Single-Cylinder Engine Proceedings of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan Annual Congress 2014
- Nakatani K. et al. Toyota’s Innovative High Efficiency Diesel Combustion Concept 23rd Aachen Colloquium and Engine Technology 2014
- Hashizume T. et al. Low Cooling Heat Loss and High Efficiency Diesel Combustion using Restricted In-Cylinder Flow The Eighth International Conference on Modeling and Diagnostics for Advanced Engine Systems OS1-4 43 49 2012
- Kosaka et al. J ournal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 41 1 39 44 2013
- Assanis , D. and Mathur , T. The Effect of Thin Ceramic Coatings on Spark-Ignition Engine Performance SAE Technical Paper Pape 900903 1990 10.4271/900903
- Kawamura , H. and Akama , M. Development of an Adiabatic Engine Installed Energy Recover Turbines and Converters of CNG Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2265 2003 10.4271/2003-01-2265
- Binjuwair , S. , Ibrahim , S. , Wigley , G. , and Pitcher , G. In-Cylinder Flow Structure Analysis by Particle Image Velocimetry Under Steady State Condition SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1975 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1975
- Inagaki , K. , Takasu , S. , Nakakita , K. , and Watanabe , S. Quantitative Analysis of Soot Formation and Oxidation Process using Laser-Induced Incandescence SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1795 2003
- Japanese Industrial Standard Glossary of terms used in the surface treatment of aluminium JIS H0201 1998
- Nishikawa N. et al. Heat Insulation by Temperature Swing in Combustion Chamber Walls (4th Report) JSAE Paper 20155029 2015
- Kawaguchi A. et al. Heat Insulation by Temperature Swing in Combustion Chamber Walls (3rd Report) JSAE Paper 20155028 2015
- Rezaei , R. , Pischinger , S. , Ewald , J. , and Adomeit , P. A New CFD Approach for Assessment of Swirl Flow Pattern in HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0037 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0037
- Tanaka , M. et al. Development of Cylinder Head Gasket for new Diesel Engine (ESTEC GD) JSAE Paper 20155079 2015
- Tsukiyama , T. , Yonezawa , K. , Iwata , H. , and Ishikawa , M. Development of New Toyota D-Series Turbocharger for GD Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 9 1 2016 10.4271/2015-01-1969