This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Efficient Power Train Cooling System with Effective Utilization of Front End Opening for a Utility Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports a study on Charge air cooler effectiveness, Air intake pressure drop, Acceleration Performance and Rise over ambient temperature of a utility vehicle for different layouts of Inter cooler, radiator, condenser and fan module in order to finalize an efficient Power train cooling system layout. The main objective is effective utilization of front end opening area, eliminating inter cooler heat load on the radiator, so that radiator size, fan size and fan motor wattage can be optimized to achieve desired cooling performance requirements with the cooling system (CRFM) module. Effect of the intercooler effectiveness, Intake pressure drop, Vehicle acceleration performance and Rise over ambient temperature are studied and both the advantages and disadvantages of the proposals are discussed to finalize the better position of inter-cooler along with other engine cooling components.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Cooling Flow Measurement Techniques|
|Technical Paper||Minimization of Hot Air Re-circulation in Engine Cooling System|
|Technical Paper||An Improved Cooling System for Military and Heavy Duty Vehicles|
CitationRanjan, R., Brahmasani, L., and Khan, P., "Development of an Efficient Power Train Cooling System with Effective Utilization of Front End Opening for a Utility Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0652, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0652.
- Kargilis Alexander., "Design and Development of Automotive Engine Cooling Systems," April 2008.
- Engine Cooling Systems HP1425: Cooling System Theory, Design and Performance for Drag Racing, Road Racing, Circle Track, Street Rods, Muscle cars, Imports, OEM Cars, Trucks, RVs and Tow Vehicles.
- Xu, B., Leffert, M., and Belanger, B., "Fuel Economy Impact of Grille Opening and Engine Cooling Fan Power on a Mid-Size Sedan," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0857, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0857.
- Ap, N., Guerrero, P., and Jouanny, P., "Influence of Front End Vehicle, Fan and Shroud on the Heat Performance of A/C Condenser and Cooling Radiator," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1206, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1206.
- Barman, J., Ghodke, P., and Joseph, J., "Evaluation of Intercooler Efficiency as a Technique for Reducing Diesel Engine Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1133, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1133.
- Rahman, S., Ninawe, A., and Salomon, R., "Determination of Vehicle Resistance Curve in Engine Cooling System Design," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0933, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0933.
- Rahman, S. and Sun, R., "Robust Engineering of Engine Cooling System," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0149, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0149.