This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tomographic PIV Evaluation of In-Cylinder Flow Evolution and Effect of Engine Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, 3D air-flow-field evolution in a single cylinder optical research engine was determined using tomographic particle imaging velocimetry (TPIV) at different engine speeds. Two directional projections of captured flow-field were pre-processed to reconstruct the 3D flow-field by using the MART (multiplicative algebraic reconstruction technique) algorithm. Ensemble average flow pattern was used to investigate the air-flow behavior inside the combustion chamber during the intake and compression strokes of an engine cycle. In-cylinder air-flow characteristics were significantly affected by the engine speed. Experimental results showed that high velocities generated during the first half of the intake stroke dissipated in later stages of the intake stroke. In-cylinder flow visualization indicated that large part of flow energy dissipated during the intake stroke and energy dissipation was the maximum near the end of the intake stroke. Non-homogeneous and highly fluctuating flow of intake stroke became uniform during the compression stroke. Air velocity was significantly higher at higher engine speeds and vorticity also increased with increasing engine speed. Peak vorticity was located near piston in the intake stroke however in compression stroke, it was located closer to the cylinder head. Higher piston speed and improved volumetric efficiency at higher engine speeds led to increased intake jet velocity and turbulence.
CitationGadekar, S., Singh, A., and Agarwal, A., "Tomographic PIV Evaluation of In-Cylinder Flow Evolution and Effect of Engine Speed," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0638, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0638.
- Heywood, J.B., “Fluid motion within the cylinder of internal combustion engines-The 1986 Freeman scholar lecture. J Fluids Eng 109(1):3-35, 1987.
- Reuss, D., Adrian, R., Landreth, C., French, D. et al., "Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle-Image Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 890616, 1989, doi:10.4271/890616.
- Raffel, M., Willert, C., Wereley, S., Kompenhans, J., “Particle image velocimetry: a practical guide,” 2nd edn. Springer, Berlin, 2007.
- Konrath, R., Schröder, W., and Limberg, W., "Three Dimensional Flow Measurements Within the Cylinder of a Motored Four-Valve Engine Using Holographic Particle-Image Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3493, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3493.
- Farrell, P.V., “Examples of in-cylinder velocity measurements for internal combustion engines,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J Automobile Engineering 221:675-697, 2007.
- Towers, D.P., Towers, C.E., “Cyclic variability measurements of in-cylinder engine flow using high-speed particle image velocimetry,” Meas Sci Technol 15:1917-1925, 2004.
- Muller, S.H., Bohm, B., Gleissner, M., Grzeszik, R., Arndt, S., Dreizle,r A., "Flow field measurements in an optically accessible, direct-injection spray-guided internal combustion engine using high speed PIV," Exp Fluids 48:281-290, 2010.
- Nauwerck, A., Gindele, J., Spicher, U., Rosskamp, H. et al., "Investigation of the Transient In-Cylinder Flow Inside a Two Stroke Engine with Particle-Image-Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0902, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0902.
- Block, B., Hentschel, W., Oppermann, W., "PIV in-cylinder tumble flow measurements in an IC-engine,” In: Adrian R, Hassan Y, Meinhart C (eds) Proc. 3rd Int. Workshop on Particle Image Velocimetry, Santa Barbara, Calif. 631-636, 1999.
- Disch, C., Kubach, H., Spicher, U., Pfeil, J. et al., "Investigations of Spray-Induced Vortex Structures during Multiple Injections of a DISI Engine in Stratified Operation Using High-Speed-PIV," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0563, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0563.
- Stansfield, P., Wigley, G., Justham, T. and Catto, J. et al., “PIV analysis of in-cylinder flow structures over a range of realistic engine speeds,” Experiments in Fluids, 43 (1):135-146, 2007.
- Huang, R.F., Lin, K.H., Yeh, C.N., Lan, J., “In-cylinder tumble flows and performance of a motorcycle engine with circular and elliptic intake ports,” Exp Fluids 46:165-179, 2008.
- Borée, J., Miles, P.C., "In-cylinder flow engines-Fundamentals charge gas and fuel flows," Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering, 2014. DOI: 10.1002/9781118354179.auto119
- Druault, P., Guibert, P., Alizon, F., “Use of proper orthogonal decomposition for time interpolation from PIV data,” Exp. Fluids 39: 1009-1023, 2005.
- Funk, C., Sick, V., Reuss, D., and Dahm, W., "Turbulence Properties of High and Low Swirl In-Cylinder Flows," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2841, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2841.
- Chen, H., Reuss, D.L., Hung, D.L., Sick, V., "A practical guide for using proper orthogonal decomposition in engine research," Int J Engine Res 14:307-19, 2012.
- Reeves, M., Haste, M., Garner, C., Halliwell, N., “Barrel swirl breakdown in spark-ignition engines: insights from particle image velocimatry measurements,” Proc Institut Mech Eng Part D 213:595-609, 1999.
- Sasaki, S., Akagawa, H., and Tsujimura, K., "A Study on Surrounding Air Flow Induced by Diesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 980805, 1998, doi:10.4271/980805.
- Calendini, P., Duverger, T., Lecerf, A., and Trinite, M., "In-Cylinder Velocity Measurements with Stereoscopic Particle Image Velocimetry in a SI engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1798, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1798.
- Dannemann, J., Pielhop, K., Klaas, M., Schroder. W., “Cycle resolved multi-planar flow measurements in a four-valve combustion engine,” Exp Fluids, 50:961976, 2010.
- Elsinga, G.E., Scarano, F., Wieneke, B., Oudheusden B.W.V., "Tomographic particle image velocimetry," Exp. Fluids 41:933-947, 2006.
- Scarano F., “Tomographic PIV: Principles and practice,” Meas Sci Technol 24(1): 012001, 2012.
- Baum, E., Petersona, B., Surmann, C., Michaelis, D. et al., “Investigation of the 3D flow field in an IC engine using tomographic PIV,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, doi.org/10.1016/j.proci.2012.06.123.
- Overbrüggen, T., Bücker, I., Dannemann, J., Karhoff, D.C., Klaas, M., SchröderPlanar, W., "Stereoscopic and holographic PIV-measurements of the in-cylinder flow of combustion engines" Fuels From Biomass: An Interdisciplinary Approach, 155-191, 2015. 10.1007/978-3-662-45425-1_11
- Overbrueggen, T., Klaas, M., Bahl, B., and Schroeder, W., "Tomographic Particle-Image Velocimetry Analysis of In-Cylinder Flows," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1447-1467, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-9042.
- Semenov, E.S., "Studies of turbulent gas flow in piston engines," NASA Technical Transaction F97, 1963.