This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control Strategy Development of Natural Gas/Diesel Dual Fuel Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
- An applicable and comprehensive control strategy of a natural gas/diesel dual fuel engine is presented in this paper. The dual fuel engine is converted from a conventional mechanical pump, turbo charged, heavy duty diesel engine. In the dual fuel mode, the pedal position is explained as demanded total fuel quantity, the quantity of pilot diesel and natural gas are calculated in order to provide the equal energy with the original diesel engine at the same operation condition, the proportion of the natural gas is primarily determined by the load rate and the speed of the engine. When the engine is working under light or moderate load, the intake air is throttled in order to improve the brake mean effective pressure and reduce the hydrocarbon emissions of the dual fuel engine, according to target excess air ratio and the quantities of the two fuels, the desired air mass per cycle can be obtained. After that a mean value model based feedforward control is adopted to calculate the electronic throttle position, with a universal exhaust gas oxygen sensor, a proportional-integral controller is designed, therefore feedback control is introduced to the air/fuel ratio control system to enhance its accuracy and robustness. Verification test results show that: the engine which employs the control strategy in this paper can work stably and reliably with less calibration data; the air/fuel ratio is regulated accurately and quickly; dual fuel engine has better fuel economy even though its brake thermal efficiency is lower due to the comparatively low price of natural gas; intake throttling has significant effect on improving the economy and hydrocarbon emission of the dual fuel engine under light and moderate load.
CitationWang, L., Chen, Z., Yang, B., Zeng, K. et al., "Control Strategy Development of Natural Gas/Diesel Dual Fuel Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0628, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0628.
- BP China BP Preview of World Energy by 2030 2012 http://www.bp.com/zh_cn/china.html
- Zhou , L. , Liu , Y. , Wu , C. , Sun , L. et al. Effect of the diesel injection timing and the pilot quantity on the combustion characteristics and the fine-particle emissions in a micro-diesel pilot-ignited natural-gas engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 227 8 1142 1152 2013
- Liu , J. , Yang , F. , Wang , H. , Ouyang , M. et al. Effects of pilot fuel quantity on the emissions characteristics of a CNG/diesel dual fuel engine with optimized pilot injection timing Applied Energy 110 0 201 206
- Yang , B. , Wei , X. , Xi , C. , Liu , Y. et al. Experimental study of the effects of natural gas injection timing on the combustion performance and emissions of a turbocharged common rail dual-fuel engine Energy Conversion and Management 87 297 304
- Zhang , Y. , Liu , X. , Yang , Q. , Han , X. et al. The Studies of an Electronically Controlled CNG System for Dual Fuel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0145 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0145
- Yang , B. , Wei , X. , Zeng , K. , and Lai , M. The Development of an Electronic Control Unit for a High Pressure Common Rail Diesel/Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1168 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1168
- Thipse , S. , Kavathekar , K. , Rairikar , S. , Tyagi , A. et al. Development of Environment Friendly Diesel-CNG Dual Fuel Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicle Application in India SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0015 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0015
- Naber , J. , Bradley , E. , and Szpytman , J. Target Based Rapid Prototyping Control System for Engine Research SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0860 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0860
- Hendricks , E. , Chevalier , A. , Jensen , M. , Sorenson , S. et al. Modelling of the Intake Manifold Filling Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 960037 1996 10.4271/960037
- Hendricks , E. and Sorenson , S. Mean Value Modelling of Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 900616 1990 10.4271/900616