This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control-Oriented Dynamics Analysis for Electrified Turbocharged Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine electrification is a critical technology in the promotion of engine fuel efficiency, among which the electrified turbocharger is regarded as the promising solution in engine downsizing. By installing electrical devices on the turbocharger, the excess energy can be captured, stored, and re-used. The electrified turbocharger consists of a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) and an electric motor (EM) within the turbocharger bearing housing, where the EM is capable in bi-directional power transfer. The VGT, EM, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve all impact the dynamics of air path. In this paper, the dynamics in an electrified turbocharged diesel engine (ETDE), especially the couplings between different loops in the air path is analyzed. Furthermore, an explicit principle in selecting control variables is proposed. Based on the analysis, a model-based multi-input multi-output (MIMO) decoupling controller is designed to regulate the air path dynamics. The dynamics analysis and controller are successfully validated through experiments and simulations.
CitationZhao, D., Winward, E., Yang, Z., Rutledge, J. et al., "Control-Oriented Dynamics Analysis for Electrified Turbocharged Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0617, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0617.
- Reduction and testing of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from heavy duty vehicles - Lot 1: Strategy Ricardo plc, UK 2011
- Martinez-Botas , R. , Apostolos , P. , and Yang , M. Overview of boosting options for future downsized engines Science China Technological Sciences 54 2 2011 318 331
- Yamashita , Y. , Ibaraki , S. , Sumida , K. , and Ebisu , M. et al. Development of electric supercharger to facilitate the downsizing of automobile engines Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Technical Review 47 4 2010 7 12
- Bailey , M. Electrically Assisted Turbo-Charger Development for Performance and Emissions Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Conference San Diego 58 2000
- Arnold , S. , Balis , C. , Barthelet , P. , Poix , E. et al. Garrett Electric Boosting Systems (EBS) Program Honeywell Inc 2005
- Ibaraki , S. , Yamashita , Y. , Sumida , K. , Ogita , H. et al. Development of the Hybrid Turbo, an Electrically Assisted Turbocharger Mitsubishi Heavy Ind. Tech. Rev 43 3 2006 1 5
- Terdich , N. , Martinez-Botas , R. , Howey , D. , Copeland , C. et al. Off-Road Diesel Engine Transient Response Improvement by Electrically Assisted Turbocharging SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0127 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0127
- Terdich , N. and Martinez-Botas , R. Experimental Efficiency Characterization of an Electrically Assisted Turbocharger SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0122 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0122
- Glenn , BC. , Upadhyay , D. , and Washington , G. Control design of electrically assisted boosting systems for diesel powertrain applications IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 18 4 2010 769 778
- Bilgin , B. , Magne , P. , Malysz , P. , Yang , Y. et al. Making the Case for Electrified Transportation IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 1 1 2015 4 17
- Jankovic , M. , and Kolmanovsky , I. Constructive Lyapunov control design for turbocharged diesel engines IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 8 2 2000 288 299
- Apkarian , P. , and Noll , D. Nonsmooth H ∞ synthesis IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 51 1 2006 71 86
- Apkarian , P. Tuning controllers against multiple design requirements Proceedings of the American Control Conference 3888 3893 2014
- Robust Control Toolbox Natick, MA, USA Math-Works 2015