This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Port Design Criteria for 2-Stroke Loop Scavenged Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Interest in 2-stroke engines has been recently renewed by several prototypes, developed for the automotive and/or the aircraft field. Loop scavenging, with piston controlled ports is particularly attractive, but the configurations successfully developed in the past for motorbike racing (in particular, the 125cc unit displacement, crankcase pump engines), are not suitable for automotive applications. Therefore, new criteria are necessary to address the scavenging system design of the new generation of 2-stroke automobile/aircraft engines.
The paper reviews the transfer ports optimization of a loop scavenged 2-stroke cylinder, whose main parameters were defined in a previous study. The optimization has been carried by means of a parametric grid, considering 3 parameters (2 tilt angles, and the focus distance), and 3 different engine speeds (2000-3000-4000 rpm, assuming a Diesel engine). A set of scavenging CFD-3d simulations have been performed by using a customized version of KIVA-3V. The numerical approach was experimentally calibrated in a previous project (see appendix 1)
The simulations results are presented by means of maps showing the influence of the geometrical parameters on the main scavenging coefficients.
Finally, a refined mesh has been constructed for the optimum configuration found in the previous parametric analysis, and a set of multi-cycle simulations have been performed. The results demonstrated the very good efficiency of the scavenging process, close to a perfect displacement for delivery ratio up to 1.5, or for residuals fraction higher than 50%
CitationMattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., and Savioli, T., "Port Design Criteria for 2-Stroke Loop Scavenged Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0610, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0610.
- Mattarelli , E. Virtual Design of a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine International Journal of Engine Research Professional Engineering Publishing June 2009 10 3 1468-0874 175 193
- Mattarelli , E. , Fontanesi , S. , Gagliardi , V. , and Malaguti , S. Multidimensional Cycle Analysis on a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0161 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0161
- De Marco , C. , Mattarelli , E. , Paltrinieri , F. , and Rinaldini , C. A New Combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1255 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1255
- Blair , G. Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1996 10.4271/R-161
- Heywood , J. and Sher , E. The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers Inc. 1999 1-56032-831-2
- Oswald , R. , Ebner , A. , and Kirchberger , R. High Efficient 125- 250 cm 3 LPDI Two-Stroke Engines, a Cheap and Robust Alternative to Four-Stroke Solutions? SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0019 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0019
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Baldini , P. Modeling and Experimental Investigation of a 2-Stroke GDI Engine for Range Extender Applications SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1672 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1672
- Fleck , B. , Fleck , R. , Kee , R. , Hu , X. et al. CFD Simulation and Validation of the Scavenging Process in a 125cc 2-Stroke Racing Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0061 2006 10.4271/2006-32-0061
- Jante , A. Scavenging and Other Problems of Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 680468 1968 10.4271/680468
- Bopp , S. , Cousyn , B. , Green , R. , and Witze , P. Experimental Study of the Scavenging and Combustion Processes in a Two-Stroke Cycle Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 920183 1992 10.4271/920183
- Rinaldini , C. , Mattarelli , E. , and Golovitchev , V. CFD Analyses on 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2240 2256 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0016
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Wilksch , M. 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines for Light Aircraft SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2338 2360 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0089
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Cantore , G. Comparison between a Diesel and a New 2-Stroke GDI Engine on a Series Hybrid Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0085 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0085
- Fleck , B. , Fleck , R. , Kee , R. , and Thornhill , D. The Evaluation of Discharge Coefficients in the Cylinders of High Performance Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0029 2003 10.4271/2003-32-0029
- Fleck , R. and Cartwright , A. Coefficients of Discharge in High Performance Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 962534 1996 10.4271/962534
- Kinoshita , H. and Motoyama , Y. The Relationship Between Port Shape and Engine Performance for Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3333 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3333
- Ekenberg , M. and Johansson , B. The Effect of Transfer Port Geometry on Scavenge Flow Velocities at High Engine Speed SAE Technical Paper 960366 1996 10.4271/960366
- Amsden , A .A. KIVA-3V: A Block-structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves LA-13313-MS July 1997
- Golovitchev , V. , Nordin , N. , Jarnicki , R. , and Chomiak , J. 3-D Diesel Spray Simulations Using a New Detailed Chemistry Turbulent Combustion Model SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1891 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1891
- Gustavsson , J. and Golovitchev , V. Spray Combustion Simulation Based on Detailed Chemistry Approach for Diesel Fuel Surrogate Model SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1848 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1848
- Golovitchev , V. I. , Montorsi , L. , Rinaldini , C. A. , Rosetti , A. CFD Combustion and Emission Formation Modeling for a HSDI Diesel Engine Using Detailed Chemistry ASME Paper ICEF 2006-1506 2006