This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Predictive Capabilities of a Combustion Model for a Modern Common Rail Automotive Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The predictive capabilities of an innovative multizone combustion model DIPulse, developed by Gamma Technologies, were assessed in this work for a last generation common rail automotive diesel engine.
A detailed validation process, based on an extensive experimental data set, was carried out concerning the predicted heat release rate, the in-cylinder pressure trace, as well as NOx and soot emissions for several operating points including both part load and full load points.
After a preliminary calibration of the model, the combustion model parameters were then optimized through a Latin Hypercube Design of Experiment (DoE), with the aim of minimizing the RMS error between the predicted and experimental burn rate of several engine operating points, thus achieving a satisfactory agreement between simulation and experimental engine combustion and emissions parameters.
|Technical Paper||Plant Modeling for Closed Loop Combustion Control - A Thermodynamic Consistent and Real-Time Capable Approach|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Different EGR Solutions|
CitationPiano, A., Millo, F., Boccardo, G., Rafigh, M. et al., "Assessment of the Predictive Capabilities of a Combustion Model for a Modern Common Rail Automotive Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0547, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0547.
- Manley , D. K. , Mcllroy , A. , Taatjes , C. A. Research Needs for Future Internal Combustion Engines Physics Today 61 11 November 2008 10.1063/1.3027991
- Adomeit , P. , Lang , O. , Schulz , R. , and Weng , V. CFD Simulation of Diesel Injection and Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0945 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0945
- Tatschl , R. , Priesching , P. , Ruetz , J. , and Kammerdiener , T. DoE Based CFD Analysis of Diesel Combustion and Pollutant Formation SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0048 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0048
- Benajes , J. , Margot , X. , Pastor , J. , and Gil , A. Three Dimensional Calculation of the Flow in a DI Diesel Engine with Variable Swirl Intake Ports SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3230 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3230
- Catania , A.E. , Finesso , R. , Spessa , E. Predictive zero-dimensional combustion model for DI diesel engine feed-forward control Energy Conversion and Management 52 10 3159 3175 September 2011 10.1016/j.enconman.2011.05.003
- Arrègle , J. , López , J.J. , García , J.M. , Fenollosa , C. Development of a zero-dimensional Diesel combustion model: Part 2: Analysis of the transient initial and final diffusion combustion phases Applied Thermal Engineering 23 11 1319 1331 August 2003
- Payri , F. , Olmeda , P. , Martín , J. , García , A. A complete 0D thermodynamic predictive model for direct injection diesel engines Applied Energy 88 12 4632 4641 December 2011 10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.06.005
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals 11.2 McGRAW-HILL INTERNATIONAL EDITIONS
- Nagle , J. , Strickland-Constable , R. F. Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000 °C Fifth Carbon Conference 1 154 164 1962
- Semin , Rosli , A.B. , Ismail , A.R. Investigation of Diesel Engine Performance Based on Simulation American Journal of Applied Sciences 5 6 610 617 2008 10.3844/ajassp.2008.610.617
- Mtui P. Performance And Emissions Modeling Of Natural Gas Dual Fuelling Of Large Diesel Engines International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research 2 11 November 2013
- Millo , F. , Perazzo , A. , and Pautasso , E. Optimizing the Calibration of a Turbocharged GDI Engine through Numerical Simulation and Direct Optimization SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 556 570 2010
- Liu , H.P. , Strank , Sh. , Werst , M. , Hebner , R. et al. Combustion Emissions Modeling and Testing of Conventional Diesel Fuel ASME 2010 4th International Conference on Energy Sustainability 1 121 130 2010 10.1115/ES2010-90037
- Park , J. , Lee , S.K , Song , S. , Chun , K.M. Numerical study of a light-duty diesel engine with a dual-loop EGR system under frequent engine operating conditions using the doe method International Journal of Automotive Technology 11 5 617 623 2010 10.1007/s12239-010-0074-5
- Millo , F. , Gianoglio Bernardi , M. , and Delneri , D. Computational Analysis of Internal and External EGR Strategies Combined with Miller Cycle Concept for a Two Stage Turbocharged Medium Speed Marine Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1319 1330 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1142
- GT-SUITE Engine Performance Application Manual Gamma Technologies 2014