This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MPC-Based Trajectory Tracking Control for Intelligent Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a model predictive control (MPC) based trajectory tracking scheme utilizing steering wheel and braking or acceleration pedal is proposed for intelligent vehicles. The control objective is to track a desired trajectory which is obtained from the trajectory planner. The proposed control is based on a simplified third-order vehicle model, which consists of longitudinal vehicle dynamics along with a commonly used bicycle model. A nonlinear model predictive control (NMPC) is adopted in order to follow a given path by controlling front steering, braking and traction, while fulfilling various physical and design constraints. In order to reduce the computational burden, the NMPC is converted to a linear time-varying (LTV) MPC based on successive online linearization of the nonlinear system model. Two different test conditions have been used to verify the effectiveness of the proposed approaches through simulations using Matlab and CarSim. The results show that the desired speed and path are well tracked.
CitationMing, T., Deng, W., Zhang, S., and Zhu, B., "MPC-Based Trajectory Tracking Control for Intelligent Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0452, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0452.
- Levinson , J. , Askeland , J. , Becker , J. , Dolson , J. , Held , D. , Kammel , S. , Kolter , J.Z. , Langer , D. , Pink , O. , Pratt , V. , and others Towards fully autonomous driving: Systems and algorithms Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2011 IEEE IEEE 163 168 2011
- Li , L. , Wen , D. , Zheng , N.-N. , and Shen , L.-C. Cognitive Cars: A New Frontier for ADAS Research IEEE Trans. Intell.Transp. Syst. 13 1 395 407 2012 10.1109/TITS.2011.2159493
- Tagne G. , Talj R. , and Charara A. Higher-order sliding mode control for lateral dynamics of autonomous vehicles, with experimental validation 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, IEEE IV 2013 June 23, 2013 - June 26, 2013 Gold Coast, QLD, Australia 2013 678 683
- Sharp R. S. , Casanova D. , and Symonds P. Mathematical model for driver steering control, with design, tuning and performance results Vehicle System Dynamics 33 289 326 2000
- Chatzikomis C. I. and Spentzas K. N. A path-following driver model with longitudinal and lateral control of vehicle's motion ForschungImIngenieurwesen-Engineering Research 73 257 266 Dec 2009
- Lee T. , Kang J. , Yi K. , and Noh K. An investigation on the integrated human driver model for closed-loop simulation of intelligent safety systems Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 24 761 767 2010
- Kim , D. and Kim , H. Lateral Control for Automated Vehicle Following System in Urban Environments SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 2 2 199 206 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0161
- Chen , B.-C. , Luan , B.-C. , and Lee , K. Design of lane keeping system using adaptive model predictive control Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), 2014 IEEE International Conference on IEEE 922 926 2014
- Qu , T. , Chen , H. , Cao , D. , Guo , H. , and Gao , B. Switching-Based Stochastic Model Predictive Control Approach for Modeling Driver Steering Skill IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 16 1 365 375 2015 10.1109/TITS.2014.2334623
- Keviczky T. , Falcone P. , Borrelli F. , Asgari J. , and Hrovat D. Predictive control approach to autonomous vehicle steering 2006 American Control Conference June 14, 2006 - June 16, 2006 Minneapolis, MN, United states 2006 4670 4675
- Falcone P. , Borrelli F. , Tseng H. E. , Asgari J. , and Hrovat D. Linear time-varying model predictive control and its application to active steering systems: Stability analysis and experimental validation Southern Gate, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 8SQ, United Kingdom 2008 862 875
- Falcone P. , Tufo M. , Borrelli F. , Asgarit J. , and Tseng H. E. A linear time varying model predictive control approach to the integrated vehicle dynamics control problem in autonomous systems 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2007 CDC December 12, 2007 - December 14, 2007 New Orleans, LA, United states 2007 2980 2985
- Chen Bo-Chiuan , Luan Bi-Cheng , Lee Kangwon Design of Lane Keeping system using adaptive model predictive control 2014 IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineer (CASE) Aug. 18, 2014 - Aug. 22, 2014 Taipei,Taiwan, China 2014 922 926
- Rawlings James B. , Mayne David Q. Model Predictive Control: Theory and Design Nob Hill Publishing 2009
- Shousong Hu Automatic Control Theory Fifth Science Press 2007