This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Minimum Door Closing Velocity Using Analytical Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Door closing velocity (DCV) is one of the important design parameter for door durability performance. The closing velocity varies with the design parameters and physical properties of the door. The variation in door closing effort may increase or decrease the durability of the door and body components, this can be a concern when the overall vehicle durability performance is considered.
This paper gives a mathematical model to calculate the door closing effort accounting the energy sink from various door design parameters such as door seal, latch, hinge, door weight, checkstrap and cabin-pressure. In addition to this, the MS-Excel based computation tool has been developed, which aims to calculate the door closing velocity and energy contribution from each design parameter. This tool is very interactive and effective for durability engineer and helps in improving the quality of vehicle door design.
This paper also provides the result comparison study with CAE approach for design parameters as seal stiffness, latch, hinge, door weight and checkstrap.
CitationMahadule, R. and Chavan, J., "Evaluation of Minimum Door Closing Velocity Using Analytical Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0434, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0434.
- Wagner D. A. , Morman K. N. , Gur Y. and Koka M. R. Nonlinear analysis of automotive door weatherstrip seals Finite Elements in Analysis and Design vol. 28 no. 1997 pp. 33 50 1997
- Stenti A. , Moens D. , Desmet W. Dynamic modeling of car door weather seals Department of Mechanical Engineering, division PMA Celestijnenlaan 300 B, B-3001 Leuven, Belgium
- Nayak , R. and Im , K. Optimization of the Side Swing Door Closing Effort SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0871 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0871
- Nayak , R. and Im , K. Axiomatic Design of the Check Link for an Automotive Side Closure System SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1205 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1205
- Kvist Markus Door Closing/Opening Efforts and Energies CAE Value AB.
- Li , J. , Mourelatos , Z. , Schwarze , F. , and Rozenbaum , J. Prediction of Automotive Side Swing Door Closing Effort SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 271 284 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0084
- Zhao Rosa , Lee Frank , Oetjens Thomas Automotive DoorSealing System Analysis 7th International LS-DYNA Users Conference
- Yunkay G. , Ruiyao X. , Dawei G. , Junjie M. and Lei Y. Development of Calculation Software for Automotive Side Swing Door Closing Energy Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2010
- Mozzone , Maurizio Study of the Door Closing Performance of an Aluminum Door 2013 University of Windsor, Electronic Theses and Dissertations