This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tensile Test for Polymer Plastics with Extreme Large Elongation Using Quad-Camera Digital Image Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Polymer plastics are widely used in automotive light weight design. Tensile tests are generally used to obtain material stress-strain curves. Due to the natural of the plastic materials, it could be elongated more than several hundred percent of its original length before breaking. Digital Image Correlation (DIC) Analysis is a precise, full field, optical measurement method. It has been accepted as a practical in-field testing method by the industry. However, with the traditional single-camera or dual-camera DIC system, it is nearly impossible to measure the extreme large strain.
This paper introduces a unique experimental procedure for large elongation measurement. By utilization of quad-camera DIC system and data stitch technique, the strain history for plastic material under hundreds percent of elongation can be measured. With a quad-camera DIC system, the correlation was conducted between two adjacent cameras. These four camera DIC system could obtain much wider test range without loss of measurement resolution. Moreover, a multiloading stage measurement procedure is developed to solve the painting peeling off problem due to the material large elongation. Between each loading stage, the tensile test machine is paused and the sample is re-painted before the paint peels off from the sample. The strain history for each loading stage is recorded and evaluated by the DIC system. Then the total strain history is calculated depending on the strain values during each loading stage. The basic principle of multi-camera DIC test system, technical challenges and its solution for the measurement of material under extreme large elongation as well as experimental plan and results are elaborately explained in this paper.
|Technical Paper||Corrosion Protection of Car Bodies in Finland|
|Technical Paper||The Use of Plastics on European Cars–an Update|
|Technical Paper||Aberdeen Proving Ground Facilities for Testing Military Vehicles|
CitationXie, X., Zeng, D., Li, J., Dahl, J. et al., "Tensile Test for Polymer Plastics with Extreme Large Elongation Using Quad-Camera Digital Image Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0418, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0418.
- Ackermann , Friedrich Digital image correlation: performance and potential application in photogrammetry Photogrammetric record 11 64 1984 429 439
- Hartley , Richard , and Zisserman Andrew Multiple view geometry in computer vision Cambridge university press 2003
- Chen , X. , Xie , X. , Sun , J. , and Yang , L. Full Field Strain Measurement of Punch-Stretch Tests Using Digital Image Correlation SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5 2 345 351 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0183
- Chen , Fanxiu , Chen Xu , Xie Xin , Feng Xiu , and Yang Lianxiang Full-field 3D measurement using multi-camera digital image correlation system Optics and Lasers in Engineering 51 9 2013 1044 1052
- Sutton , Michael A. , Orteu Jean Jose , and Schreier Hubert Image correlation for shape, motion and deformation measurements: basic concepts, theory and applications Springer Science & Business Media 2009
- Chen , Xu , Yang Lianxiang , Xu Nan , Xie Xin , Sia Bernard , and Xu Roger Cluster approach based multi-camera digital image correlation: Methodology and its application in large area high temperature measurement Optics & Laser Technology 57 2014 318 326
- Xie , X. , Zheng , Y. , Li , X. , Sia , B. et al. Spatial Phase-Shift Digital Shearography for Out-of-Plane Deformation Measurement SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 2 402 405 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0824
- Chu , T. C. , Ranson W. F. , and Sutton M. A. Applications of digital-image-correlation techniques to experimental mechanics Experimental mechanics 25 3 1985 232 244
- Pan , B. , Li K. , and Tong W. Fast, robust and accurate digital image correlation calculation without redundant computations Experimental Mechanics 53 7 2013 1277 1289
- Xie , X. , Du , C. , Li , X. , Chen , Y. et al. Measurement of Aluminum Edge Stretching Limit Using 3D Digital Image Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0594 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0594
- Pan , Bing , Wu Dafang , Wang Zhaoyang , and Xia Yong High-temperature digital image correlation method for full-field deformation measurement at 1200 C Measurement science and technology 22 1 2011 015701
- Vendroux , G. , and Knauss W. G. Submicron deformation field measurements: Part 2. Improved digital image correlation Experimental Mechanics 38 2 1998 86 92