This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Measurement of Aluminum Alloy Edge Stretching Limit Based on Digital Image Correlation Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Aluminum Alloy, AA, sheet metal forming, the through thickness cracking at the edge of cut out is one of the major fracture modes. In order to prevent the edge cracking in production forming process, practical edge stretch limit criteria are needed for virtual forming prediction and early stamping trial evaluations. This paper proposes new methods for determining the edge stretching limit of the sheet coupons, with and without pre-stretching, based on the Digital Image Correlation (DIC) technique. A numbers of sets of notch-shaped smaller coupons with three different pre-stretching conditions (near 5%, 10% and fractured) are cut from the prestretched large specimens. Then the notch-shaped smaller coupons are stretched by uniaxial tension up to through edge cracking observed. A dual-camera 3D-DIC system is utilized to measure both coupon face strain and thickness strain in the notch area at the same time. The edge cracking thickness strain limit with the influence of different pre-strain then can be obtained based on the DIC measurements.
CitationXu, W., Shi, X., Bai, T., Yang, G. et al., "A New Measurement of Aluminum Alloy Edge Stretching Limit Based on Digital Image Correlation Method," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0417, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0417.
- ABEDRABBO N , POURBOGHRAT F , CARSLEY J Forming of AA5182Oand AA5754Oat elevated temperatures using coupled Thermomechanical finite element models International Journal of Plasticity 2007 23 841 875
- Mingtu MA , Hongliang YI , Hongzhou LU , Xinming WAN Onthe lightweighting of automobile China Engineering Sciences 2009 11 9 20 27
- Zhongqi YU , Yixi ZHAO , Zhongqin LIN Evaluation parameter of draw ability of automotive aluminum alloy sheets The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals 2004 14 10 1689 1693
- Inn , Yong Woo , Wissbrun Kurt F. , and Denn Morton M. Effect of edge fracture on constant torque rheometry of entangled polymer solutions Macromolecules 38 22 2005 9385 9388
- Keentok , Matti , and Xue Shi-Cheng Edge fracture in cone-plate and parallel plate flows Rheologica acta 38 4 1999 321 348
- Gogotsi , George A. , and Mudrik Sergey P. Fracture barrier estimation by the edge fracture test method Ceramics international 35 5 2009 1871 1875
- Scieszka , S. F. Edge failure as a means of concurrently estimating the abrasion and edge fracture resistance of hard-metals Tribology international 38 9 2005 834 842
- Chen , Fanxiu , Chen Xu , Xie Xin , Feng Xiu , and Yang Lianxiang Full-field 3D measurement using multi-camera digital image correlation system Optics and Lasers in Engineering 51 9 2013 1044 1052
- Xu Chen , Yang Lianxiang , Xu Nan , Xie Xin , Sia Bernard , and Xu Roger Cluster approach based multi-camera digital image correlation: Methodology and its application in large area high temperature measurement Optics & Laser Technology 57 2014 318 326
- Lianxiang Yang , Xie Xin , Zhu Lianqing , Wu Sijin , and Wang Yonghong Review of electronic speckle pattern interferometry (ESPI) for three dimensional displacement measurement Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 27 1 2014 1 13
- Lianqing Zhu , Wang Yonghong , Xu Nan , Wu Sijin , Dong Mingli , and Yang Lianxiang Real-time monitoring of phase maps of digital shearography Optical Engineering 52 10 2013 101902 101902
- Xu , N. , Xie , X. , Harmon , G. , Gu , R. et al. Quality Inspection of Spot Welds using Digital Shearography SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf . 5 1 96 101 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0182
- Xin Xie , Yang Lianxiang , Xu Nan , and Chen Xu Michelson interferometer based spatial phase shift shearography Appl. Opt. 52 17 2013 4063 4071
- Chen , X. , Xie , X. , Sun , J. , and Yang , L. Full Field Strain Measurement of Punch-stretch Tests Using Digital Image Correlation SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf . 5 2 345 351 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0183
- Zhou , D. , Du , C. , Siekirk , J. , McGuire , J. et al. A Practical Failure Limit for Sheared Edge Stretching of Automotive Body Panels SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0986 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0986
- Xie , X. , Du , C. , Li , X. , Chen , Y. et al. Measurement of Aluminum Edge Stretching Limit Using 3D Digital Image Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0594 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0594