This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Proposal of Dummy Neck Certification Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Crash Test Dummies are the very important tools to evaluate the vehicle safety performance. In order to ensure the dummy performance during the crash tests, the dummy components need to be certificated. In the neck certification procedure, the head angle is the most important parameter, which is the head rotation respect to the neck base. To get the head angle, couples of rotary potentiometers should be mounted either on the calibration fixture or on the dummy head. The rotation is then calculated from those potentiometer readings. There are two potentiometers mounted in the Hybrid III family dummies, while three potentiometers mounted in ES2, ES-2re, SID-IIs, and WorldSid 50th dummies. In the certification, maximum head angle and time occurred should be within certain ranges in the Hybrid III family dummies while for the ES2 and WorldSid 50th dummies, not only the maximum head angle, but also the other angles and their timings should meet the requirements. It is very difficult to get all of them in the test corridors, sometimes needs couple of testing days. In many cases the maximum head angle is in the corridor while the others are not. The purpose of mounting rotary potentiometers is to obtain the head angle and it is not necessary to bring all the angles into the specifications. In this paper the dummy neck certification procedures and head angle calculation are discussed. A proposal is made for the ES2 and WorldSid 50th dummies to remove the individual maximum angles and remain the head angle in the specification.
|Technical Paper||Potential Improvements to Impact Responses of the Flexible Legform Impactor|
|Journal Article||Development of Lower Neck Injury Assessment Reference Values Based on Comparison of ATD and PMHS Tests|
CitationWei, F., Xu, L., Cao, C., and Zhao, Y., "A Proposal of Dummy Neck Certification Test," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0405, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0405.
- Mertz, H. and Patrick, L., "Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash," SAE Technical Paper 670919, 1967, doi:10.4271/670919.
- Mertz, H. and Patrick, L., "Strength and Response of the Human Neck*," SAE Technical Paper 710855, 1971, doi:10.4271/710855.
- Hybrid III 50th Male User Manual, Humanetics Innovative Solutions, 2014
- ES-2 User Manual, Humanetics Innovative Solutions, 2011
- ES-2re User Manual, Humanetics Innovative Solutions, 2014
- WorldSID 50th User Manual, 2013
- Hybrid III 5th Female User Manual, Humanetics Innovative Solutions, 2014
- Hybrid III 95th Male User Manual, Humanetics Innovative Solutions, 2011