This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Prediction Method for Laser Screw Welds in Automotive Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a fatigue life prediction method for Laser Screw Welding (LSW). Fatigue life prediction is used to assess the durability of automotive structures in the early design stages in order to shorten the vehicle development time. The LSW technology is a spot-type joining method similar to resistance spot welding (RSW), and has been developed and applied to body-inwhite structures in recent years. LSW can join metal panels even when a clearance exists between the panels. However, as a result of this favorable clearance-allowance feature of LSW, a concave shape may occur at the nugget part of the joint. These LSW geometric features, the concavity of nuggets and the clearance between panels, are thought to affect the local stiffness behavior of the joint. Therefore, while assessing the fatigue life of LSW, it is essential to estimate the influence of these factors adequately for the representation of the local stiffness behavior of the joint. The method conducted in this study follows the stress-based concept of fatigue analysis techniques which considers the level of stresses in the surrounding sheet metal close to the joint. The developed method is applied to the prediction of the fatigue life of LSW in a car body under rough road conditions. A good correlation is confirmed between the prediction and experiment results.
|Journal Article||Development of Fracture Model for Laser Screw Welding|
|Technical Paper||Fastener System Concept|
|Book||Metal Fatigue Analysis Handbook: Practical problem-solving techniques for computer-aided engineering|
CitationCheng, M. and Sawa, N., "Fatigue Life Prediction Method for Laser Screw Welds in Automotive Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0394, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0394.
- Koreishi, N., Yoshioka, H. and Fukuzumi, Y. "Vehicle Development by Application of Laser Screw Welding (First Report)," JSAE Technical Paper vol. 116-14, 2014 (Japanese).
- Gao, Y., Chucas, D., Lewis, C., and McGregor, I., "Review of CAE Fatigue Analysis Techniques for Spot-Welded High Strength Steel Automotive Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0835, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0835.
- Nakahara, Y., Takahashi, M., Kawamoto, A., Fujimoto, M. et al., "Method of Fatigue Life Estimation for Spot-Welded Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0779, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0779.
- Seto, K., Nakayama, E., Tsunoda, K., Fujita, N. et al., "A New Method of Stress Calculation in Spot Welded Joint and Its Application to Fatigue Life Prediction of Actual Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2809, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2809.
- Kang, H.T., Dong, P. and Hong, J.K., "Fatigue Analysis of Spot Welds Using a Mesh-Insensitive Structural Stress Approach," International Journal of Fatigue 29:1546-1553, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.10.025.
- Hong, J., "The Development of a Simplified Spot Weld Model for Battelle Structural Stress Calculation," SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4(1):602-612, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0479.
- Brenner, C., Unger, B., Gaier, C., Steinwender, G. et al., "Fatigue Assessment of Welding Seams and Spot Joints Based on FEA," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0780, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0780.
- Steinwender, G., Gaier, C., Dannbauer, H., Unger, B. and Eichlseder, W., "Fatigue Prediction of Jointed Automotive Structures," JSAE Technical Paper 20005327, 2000.
- Dannbauer, H., Gaier, C., and Halaszi, C., "Development of a Model for Self-piercing Rivets to Predict Stiffness and Fatigue Life of Automotive Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2857, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2857.
- Dannbauer, H., Gaier, C., and Hofwimmer, K., "Fatigue Analysis of Welding Seams and Spot Joints in Automotive Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1323, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1323.
- Dinçer, S., Çinar, A., Kepenek, D., Aşureciler, B. et al., "A Comparative Study on the Finite Element Models for Spot Welds and Their Verification," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0590, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0590.