This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Prediction of Friction Stir Linear Welds for Magnesium Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Friction stir linear welding (FSLW) is widely used in joining lightweight materials including aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys. However, fatigue life prediction method for FSLW is not well developed yet for vehicle structure applications. This paper is tried to use two different methods for the prediction of fatigue life of FSLW in vehicle structures. FSLW is represented with 2-D shell elements for the structural stress approach and is represented with TIE contact for the maximum principal stress approach in finite element (FE) models. S-N curves were developed from coupon specimen test results for both the approaches. These S-N curves were used to predict fatigue life of FSLW of a front shock tower structure that was constructed by joining AM60 to AZ31 and AM60 to AM30. The fatigue life prediction results were then correlated with test results of the front shock tower structures.
CitationKang, H., Khosrovaneh, A., Su, X., Guo, M. et al., "Fatigue Life Prediction of Friction Stir Linear Welds for Magnesium Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0386, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0386.
- Okamoto , K. , Hunt , F. , and Hirano , S. Friction Stir Welding of Magnesium for Automotive Applications SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0730 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0730
- Kallee , S. and Nicholas , D. Application of Friction Stir Welding to Lightweight Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 982362 1998 10.4271/982362
- Agarwal , L. , Mallick , P. , and Kang , H. Spot Friction Welding of Mg-Mg, Al-Al and Mg-Al Alloys SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0144 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0144
- Dong , P. and Hong , J. CAE Weld Durability Prediction: A Robust Single Damage Parameter Approach SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0151 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0151
- Dong , P. A Robust Structural Stress Procedure for Characterizing Fatigue Behavior of Welded Joints SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0086 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0086
- Design Life Theory Manuals HBM-nCode 2014