This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Prediction of an Automotive Chassis System with Combined Hardening Material Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The choice of an appropriate material model with parameters derived from testing and proper modeling of stress-strain response during cyclic loading are the critical steps for accurate fatigue-life prediction of complex automotive subsystems. Most materials used in an automotive substructure, like a chassis system, exhibit combined hardening behavior and it is essential to capture this behavior in the CAE model in order to accurately predict the fatigue life. This study illustrates, with examples, the strain-controlled testing of material coupons, and the calculations of material parameters from test data for the combined hardening material model used in the Abaqus solver. Stress-strain response curves and fatigue results from other simpler material models like the isotropic hardening model and the linear material model with Neuber correction are also discussed in light of the respective fatigue theories. A prediction of number of cycles for crack initiation of an automotive chassis system under a braking load cycle are compared to the results of physical tests in order to understand the merits and limitations of each model.
CitationGeorge, J., Gross, D., Jahed, H., and Roostaei, A., "Fatigue Life Prediction of an Automotive Chassis System with Combined Hardening Material Model," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0378, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0378.
- Boller, C. and Seeger, T., "Materials Data for Cyclic Loading," Elsevier Science Ltd., Vol 42, 1998
- ASTM Standard E606-92, “Standard Practice for Strain Controlled Fatigue Testing", American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA, 1997
- Masing, G., "Eigenspannungen und Verfestigung beim Messing," in Proc. of 2nd Int. Congress of Appl. Mech., Zurich, 1926.
- Abaqus Users’ manual, ver 6.14, 2014
- ASTM Standard E8-96a, “Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials", American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA, 1997
- Dowling Norman E, “Mechanical behavior of materials,” Pearson Education, 2nd Edition, 1998
- Trautwein, Thilo, " Numerical Validation and Application of the Neuber-Formula in FEA Analysis," presented at NAFEMS congress, May 2005
- nCode DesignLife Theory Guide ver 10.1
- Satoshi Ito, Koishikura Taro, and Suzuki Daichi, “Modeling and Analysis Techniques for Suspension Rubber Bushings", presented at SIMULIA Customer Conference, 2010
- Song, G. and Tan, C., "Door Slam CAE Method Investigation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1324, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1324.