This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Fatigue Durability Performance of a SUV Rear Axle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of the rear axle plays an important role in the performance of vehicle, and its fatigue durability is an integral part in the vehicle development. Taking a SUV model as the research subject, a new methodology of multi-channel spindle coupled road simulator and fatigue simulation analysis for rear axle assembly was introduced in the paper, aiming to address the fatigue design and its verification for the rear axle in the development phase. Firstly, road loads in the proving ground was collected by arranging proper sensors. Secondly, physical iteration was performed on the multichannel spindle coupled road simulator by taking six component forces at the wheel hub as the target signals. Then, after the time waveform replication of the loads the durability test was conducted. Finally, the validated simulation model was successfully implemented to improve the fatigue life of the axle.
|Journal Article||A Road Load Data Processing Technique for Durability Optimization of Automotive Products|
|Technical Paper||Procedure for Design Optimization and durability Life Approval of Truck Axles and Axle Assemblies|
CitationGao, Y., Feng, Z., Fang, J., and Wang, S., "Research on the Fatigue Durability Performance of a SUV Rear Axle," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0376, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0376.
- Topac , M. M. , Günal H. , and Kuralay N. S. Fatigue failure prediction of a rear axle housing prototype by using finite element analysis Engineering Failure Analysis 16.5 2009 1474 1482 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2008.09.016
- Qin , P. and D'Souza , S. CAE Fatigue Prediction of Fuel Tank Straps using Proving Ground Loads SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1405 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1405
- Toso , Alessandro et al. Integration of Time Waveform Replication Process in a Multibody Software for Reverse Load Identification ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2011 10.1115/DETC2011-48539
- Kobayashi , K. , Yamaguchi , K. , and Ikejiri , T. On Fatigue Testing of Passenger Car Body Construction SAE Technical Paper 710261 1971 10.4271/710261
- Lin , S. , Cheng , C. , Liao , C. , and Shan , Y. CAE Analyses for Suspension System and Full Vehicle under Durability Road Load Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1649 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1649
- Ryu , S. A Study on Obtaining Excitation Load of Virtual Test Lab Using Virtual Iteration Method SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0011 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0011
- Nelson , D. Fatigue Considerations in Welded Structure SAE Technical Paper 820695 1982 10.4271/820695
- Timoney , S. , Timoney , E. , and Lynch , C. Correlation of Fatigue Test Results and Finite Element Analysis for a Prototype Independent Suspension Axle Housing SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3434 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3434