This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Lean Production System Using Value Stream Mapping in Manufacturing Sector and Subsequent Implementation in Tool Room
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research is an attempt to investigate the significance of Value Stream Mapping (VSM) in the lean transformation of manufacturing units (largely automotive) and then apply the same in a tool room. It is an essential tool used to interpret both material and information flow in a system. The tool room under study specializes in production of a large variety of high precision tools for the automotive industry. A product family is chosen to map and analyze various stages of its production process, starting from the raw material (R/M) to the finished goods’ (F/G) stage. VSM is then implemented in the tool room to correctly identify wastes and thus improvement areas to bridge gaps between current and future states. Both current and future state maps are drafted along with usage of other lean tools to justify its implementation in a small setup like tool room. Given the customized nature of work being performed in the setup, task standardization is not a priority but employee specific tasks are suggested after optimization of all work procedures. Methods adopted by the Toyota Production System (TPS) for transformation of a unit from non-lean to lean are given due emphasis. Jishuken (self-learning) activities have been designed for both owners and employees in phases to inculcate the spirit of Kaizen (continuous improvement) and achieve leaner production in future.
CitationBatra, R., Nanda, S., Singhal, S., and Singari, R., "Study of Lean Production System Using Value Stream Mapping in Manufacturing Sector and Subsequent Implementation in Tool Room," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0342, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0342.
- Womack, P., Jones, T., and Roos, D., “The Machine that changed the world” (New York, Maxwell Macmillan International), 13 March 2007, ISBN: 0892563508.
- McLean, T., “Lean for small and medium sized manufacturing enterprises,” (Boca Raton, CRC Press) ISBN-13: 9781482255867.
- Liker, J., “The Toyota Way: 14 Manufacturing Principles from the World’s Greatest Manufacturer,” 2004, ISBN: 9788388970924.
- Ford, H., Bakken J., Bodek N. and Crowhter S., “Today and Tomorrow,” Book, (Sloan Management Review), 1988.
- Krafcik, J., “Triumph of the Lean Production System,” Sloan management review paper, 1988.
- Shingo, S., “A Study of the Toyota Production System from an Industrial Engineering Viewpoint,” Productivity Press: Cambridge MA, Oct. 1989, ISBN: 9780915299171.
- Monden, Y., “Toyota Production System: An Integrated Approach to Just-in-Time 2nd edition,” (Boca Raton, CRC Press)Industrial Engineering and Management Press: Norcross, GA, 1993, ISBN: 9781439820971
- Hines, P., Holweg, M. and Rich, N., (2004),"Learning to evolve Vol. 24", pg. 994 -1011, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Oct. 2004.
- Seth, D. and Gupta V., “Application of value stream mapping for lean operations and cycle time reduction,” Production Planning and Control, 2005, pg. 44-59.
- Shah, R., Ward, P.T., “Defining and developing measures of lean production,” Journal of Operations Management 25, Science Direct, 785-805, 2007.
- Joshi, R.R., Naik, G.R., “Process Improvement by using Value Stream Mapping: - A Case Study in Small Scale Industry”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol. 1 Issue 5, July - 2012 ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Hines, P., Rich, N., "The seven value stream mapping tools", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 17 Issue 1 pg. 46 - 64, 1997.
- Parihar, S., Jain S. and Bajpai L., “Value Stream Mapping: A Case study of Assembly Process,” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) Vol. 1 Issue 8, October - 2012 ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Joshi, R., Naik, G.R., “Process Improvement by using Value Stream Mapping: - A Case Study in Small Scale Industry”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), Vol. 1 Issue 5, July - 2012 ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Serrano, I., Ochoa, C. and Castro, R.D., “Evaluation of value stream mapping in manufacturing system redesign, International Journal of Production Research, 2008, 46:16, 4409-4430.
- Vinodh, S., Arvind, K.R., Somanaathan, M., "Application of value stream mapping in an Indian camshaft manufacturing organization," Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 21 Issue 7, 2010, pg. 888 - 900.
- Braglia, M., Carmignani, G. and Zammori, F. “A new value stream mapping approach for complex production systems,” International Journal of Production Research, 2010, 44:18-19, 3929-3952, doi: 10.1080/00207540600690545.
- Braglia, M., Frosolini, M. and Zammori, F., “Uncertainty in value stream mapping analysis,” International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 2009, 12:6, 435-453.
- Solding, P., Gullander, P., “Concepts for simulation based value stream mapping,” Winter Simulation Conference technical paper, 2009.
- Lian, Y.H. and Landeghem, H.V., “Analysing the effects of Lean manufacturing using a value stream mapping-based simulation generator,” International Journal of Production Research, 2007, 3037-3058.
- Marvel, J.H., Standridge, C.R., “A simulation-enhanced lean design process”, Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, doi:10.3926/jiem.2009.v2n1.p90-113.
- McDonald, T., Aken, E.M.V. and Rentes A.F., “Utilising Simulation to Enhance Value Stream Mapping: A Manufacturing Case Application,” International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 2002, 5:2, 213-232.
- Lian, Y.-H., Landeghem, H.V., “An application of simulation and value stream mapping in lean manufacturing”, in Verbraeck, A. and Krug, W. (Eds), Proceedings of the 14th European Simulation Symposium, Dresden, 23-26 Oct., 2002.
- Abdulmalek, F., Rajgopal J., “Analyzing the benefits of lean manufacturing and value stream mapping via simulation: A process sector case study,” International Journal Production Economics 107 (2007) 223-236, 2006.
- Singh, B., Garg, S.K. and Sharma, S.K., “Value stream mapping: literature review and implications for Indian industry”, Int J Adv Manuf Technol, 2011, 53:799-809 DOI 10.1007/s00170-010-2860-7.
- Hines, P., Rich, N., Bicheno, J., Brunt, D. et al., “Value Stream Management,” The International Journal of Logistics Management, Volume 9, Issue 1, pg. 25-42.
- Alves T.L., Tommelein, I.D., and Ballard G., “Value Stream Mapping for making-to order products in a job shop environment,” Construction Research Congress, San Diego, CA, 5-7 April 2005.
- Khaswala, Z.N. and Irani S.A., “Value Network Mapping (VNM): Visualization and Analysis of Multiple Flows in Value Stream Maps,” Technical Paper, April 2011.
- Wilson L., “How to implement lean manufacturing,”
- Ohno, T., “Toyota Production System - Beyond Large Scale Production,” Productivity Press, Portland, OR, 1988, ISBN:0-915299-14-3.
- Leanproduction.com, “25 essential lean tools,” http://www.leanproduction.com/top-25-lean-tools.html.
- Rother, M. and Shook J., “Learning to See: Value Stream Mapping to add value and eliminate MUDA, Version 1.2,” (The Lean Enterprise Institute), June 1999, ISBN: 0966784308.
- Shingo, S. and Liker, J., “Fundamental Principles of Lean Manufacturing,” Enna Products Corp, 2009, ISBN: 978-1926537078.
- Framinan, M., "Efficient Heuristic Approaches to Transform Job Shops into Flow Shops." IIE Transactions, May 2005, ISBN: B000ALPBW6.
- Imai, M., “Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense Low-cost Approach to Management,” McGraw-Hill, 1997, New York, NY, ISBN-13: 978-0071790352.
- Marksberry, P., “Management directed kaizen: Toyota’s Jishuken process for management development,” Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 2010, pg. 670-686.