This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Practical Methods for Analyzing Reliability Test Data in the Presence of an Unexpected Failure Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to accurately predict product reliability, it is best to design a test in which many specimens are tested for a long duration. However, this scenario is not often practical due to economic and time constraints. This paper describes a reliability test in which a limited number of specimens are tested with little time remaining before the scheduled start of production. During the test, an unexpected failure mode that can be mitigated through a product redesign occurs. Because the scheduled start of production is near, there is not enough time to perform a test with redesigned specimens, so the current test proceeds as planned. We discuss several methods and the associated assumptions that must be made to account for the presence of the unexpected failure mode in the test data in order to make predictions of reliability of the redesigned product.
|Journal Article||A Unified Framework for Representing Product Validation Testing Methods and Conducting Reliability Analysis|
|Technical Paper||CHRYSLER'S DIGITAL SPARK TIMING COMPUTER|
CitationHonecker, S., Groebel, D., and Mettas, A., "Practical Methods for Analyzing Reliability Test Data in the Presence of an Unexpected Failure Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0274, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0274.
- Kececioglu , D. Reliability & Life Testing Handbook, Volume 2 Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey PTR Prentice Hall 1994 47 49 0-13-772369-5
- Nelson , W. Applied Life Data Analysis New York John Wiley & Sons 1982 1 14 347 356 0-471-09458-7
- Larson , H. J. Introduction to Probability Theory and Statistical Inference, Third Edition New York John Wiley & Sons 1982 360 369 0-471-05909-9
- ReliaSoft Corporation Parameter Estimation http://www.reliawiki.org/index.php/Parameter_Estimation October 2015
- ReliaSoft Corporation Fractional Failure Analysis in Weibull++ http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue175/hottopics175.htm October 2015
- Crow , L. H. Planning a Reliability Growth Program Utilizing Historical Data Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS), 2011 Proceedings - Annual, 1-6 24-27 January 2011 10.1109/RAMS.2011.5754446