This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Physics-Based Modeling and Transient Validation of an Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) system model for heavy-duty diesel (HDD) applications. The dynamic, physics-based model includes: heat exchangers for parallel exhaust and EGR circuits, compressible vapor working fluid, distribution and flow control valves, a high pressure pump, and a reservoir. A finite volume method is used to model the evaporator, and a pressure drop model is included to improve the accuracy of predictions. Experimental results obtained on a prototype ORC system are used for model calibration and validation. Comparison of predicted and measured values under steady-state conditions is pursued first, followed by the analysis of selected transient events. Validation reveals the model’s ability to track real-world temperature and pressure dynamics of the ORC system. Therefore, this modeling framework is suitable for future system design studies, optimization of ORC power generation, and as a basis for development of control-oriented ORC models.
CitationXu, B., Liu, X., Shutty, J., Anschel, P. et al., "Physics-Based Modeling and Transient Validation of an Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0199, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0199.
- EPA, "EPA and NHTSA adopt first-ever program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel efficiency of medium- and heavy-duty vehicles," 2011.
- ICCT, "UNITED STATES EFFICIENCY AND GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSION REGULATIONS FOR MODEL YEAR 2018-2027 HEAVY-DUTY VEHICLES, ENGINES, AND TRAILERS," 2015.
- Arias, D., Shedd, T., and Jester, R., "Theoretical Analysis of Waste Heat Recovery from an Internal Combustion Engine in a Hybrid Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1605, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1605.
- Endo, T., Kawajiri, S., Kojima, Y., Takahashi, K. et al., "Study on Maximizing Exergy in Automotive Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0257, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0257.
- Teng, H., Regner, G., and Cowland, C., "Achieving High Engine Efficiency for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Waste Heat Recovery Using Supercritical Organic-Fluid Rankine Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3522, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3522.
- Park, T., Teng, H., Hunter, G., van der Velde, B. et al., "A Rankine Cycle System for Recovering Waste Heat from HD Diesel Engines - Experimental Results," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1337, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1337.
- Dieter, S., Thomas, L., Jurgen, G., Nadja, E., et al, "Waste heat Recovery for Commercial Vehicles with a Rankine Process," 21st Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine technology, 2012.
- Quoilin, S., "Sustainable Energy Conversion Through the Use of Organic Rankine Cycles for Waste Heat Recovery and Solar Applications," PhD Thsis, University of Liege, 2011.
- Feru, E., de Jager, B., Willems, F., and Steinbuch, M., "Modeling and Control of a Parallel Waste Heat Recovery System for Euro-VI Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines," Energies, vol. 7, pp. 6571-6592, 2014/10/14/ 2014.
- Manglik, R., and Bergles, A., "Heat-Transfer and Pressure-Drop Correlations for the Rectangular Offset Strip Fin Compact Heat-Exchanger," Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 10, pp. 171-180, Feb 1995.
- Wang, X., and Mujumdar, A., "Heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids: a review," International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 46, pp. 1-19, Jan 2007.
- Yamamoto, T., Furuhata, T., Arai, N., and Mori, K., "Design and testing of the Organic Rankine Cycle," Energy, vol. 26, pp. 239-251, Mar 2001.
- Tona, P., Peralez, J., and Sciarretta, A., "Supervision and control prototyping for an engine exhaust gas heat recovery system based on a steam Rankine cycle," 2012 Ieee/Asme International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (Aim), pp. 695-701, 2012.
- Feru, E., Willems, F., de Jager, B., and Steinbuch, M., "Model predictive control of a waste heat recovery system for automotive diesel engines," in System Theory, Control and Computing (ICSTCC), 2014 18th International Conference, 2014, pp. 658-663.
- Hou, G., Bi, S., Lin, M., Zhang, J., and Xu, J., "Minimum variance control of organic Rankine cycle based waste heat recovery," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 86, pp. 576-586, Oct 2014.
- Peralez, J., Tona, P., Sciarretta, A., Dufour, P., et al, "Towards model-based control of a steam Rankine process for engine waste heat recovery," 2012 Ieee Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (Vppc), pp. 289-294, 2012.
- Qiao, H., Aute, V., and Radermacher, R., "An Improved Moving Boundary Heat Exchanger Model with Pressure Drop," International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, 2014/01/01/ 2014.
- Wang, R., Zhao, X., Wang, C., and Li, Y., "Modeling and model order reduction of evaporator in organic rankine cycle for waste heat recovery," in 2011 International Conference on Advanced Mechatronic Systems (ICAMechS), 2011, pp. 291-296.
- Horst, T., Rottengruber, Seifert, H., and Ringler, J., "Dynamic heat exchanger model for performance prediction and control system design of automotive waste heat recovery systems," Applied Energy, vol. 105, pp. 293-303, 2013/05// 2013.
- Carey, V., Liquid Vapor Phase Change Phenomena: An Introduction to the Thermophysics of Vaporization and Condensation Processes in Heat Transfer Equipment, Second Edition, 2 edition ed. New York: CRC Press, 2007.
- Reynolds, O., "An Experimental Investigation of the Circumstances Which Determine Whether the Motion of Water Shall Be Direct or Sinuous, and of the Law of Resistance in Parallel Channels," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, vol. 174, pp. 935-982, 1883/01/01/ 1883.
- Gnielinski, V., "Berechnung des Druckverlustes in glatten konzentrischen Ringspalten bei ausgebildeter laminarer und turbulenter isothermer Strömung," Chemie Ingenieur Technik, vol. 79, pp. 91-95, 2007/02/01/ 2007.
- Blaß, E., and Chemieingenieurwesen G. V. u., VDI-Gesellschaft Verfahrenstechnik und Chemieingenieurwesen GVC: gestern, heute, morgen; eine Jubiläumsschrift anläßlich des Jahrestreffens der Verfahrensingenieure 1984 in München zum 50-jährigen Bestehen der GVC: Saur, 1984.
- Bergman, T., Incropera, F., and Lavine, A., Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer: John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Zivi, S., "Estimation of Steady-State Steam Void-Fraction by Means of the Principle of Minimum Entropy Production," Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 86, pp. 247-251, 1964/05/01/ 1964.
- Weiss, H., and Boshwirth, L., "A Simple but Efficient Equipment for Experimental Determination of valve Loss Coefficient Under Compressible and Steady Flow Condtions," in International Compressor Engineering Conference, 1982, pp. 69-76.
- Michael, J., and Howard, S., Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, 5th ed.: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2006.
- Teng, H., Klaver, J., Park, T., Hunter, G. et al., "A Rankine Cycle System for Recovering Waste Heat from HD Diesel Engines - WHR System Development," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0311, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0311.
- Moraal, P. and Kolmanovsky, I., "Turbocharger Modeling for Automotive Control Applications," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0908, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0908.
- Feru, E., de Jager, B., Willems, F., and Steinbuch, M., "Two-phase plate-fin heat exchanger modeling for waste heat recovery systems in diesel engines," Applied Energy, vol. 133, pp. 183-196, Nov 15 2014.
- Blasius, H., "Das Aehnlichkeitsgesetz bei Reibungsvorgängen in Flüssigkeiten," in Mitteilungen über Forschungsarbeiten auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens. vol. 131, ed: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1913, pp. 1-41.
- Lockhart, R., and Martinelli, R., "Proposed correlation of data for isothermal two-phase, two-component flow in pipes," Chem. Eng. Prog, vol. 45, pp. 39-48, 1949 1949.