This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studying the Efficiency of Different CAE/CFD Methods for Modeling Complex Air-to-Air Heat Exchangers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this article, the behavior of a typical air-to-air heat exchanger (intercooler) during the thermal shock test has been recorded during which the heat exchanger is exposed to very high temperature gradients. Different CAE models have been built that have different levels of details and the sensitivity of the results to the details has been studied. Finally a comparison have been made between the results of the CAE/CFD model and the experimental data and the correlation study shows that in spite of being simple, the dual stream is very accurate and correlates pretty well with test data. Including all design details in the CAE model will not necessarily improve the accuracy of the model while adding up to the computational cost.
CitationMehravaran, M., Levasseur, A., Zhang, Y., and Henner, M., "Studying the Efficiency of Different CAE/CFD Methods for Modeling Complex Air-to-Air Heat Exchangers," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0179, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0179.
- Uhl , B. , Brotz , F. , Fauser , J. , and Krüger , U. Development of Engine Cooling Systems by Coupling CFD Simulation and Heat Exchanger Analysis Programs SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1695 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1695
- Nishigaki , H. , Nishiwaki , S. , Amago , T. , Kojima , Y. et al. First Order Analysis - New CAE Tools for Automotive Body Designers SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0768 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0768
- Sharma , Shashikant Critical comparison of popular hyper-elastic material models in design of anti-vibration mounts for automotive industry through FEA Constitutive Models for Rubber 2003 161 168
- Ozden , Ender , and Ilker Tari Shell side CFD analysis of a small shell-and-tube heat exchanger Energy Conversion and Management 51 5 2010 1004 1014
- Mehravaran , M. and Zhang , Y. Optimizing the Geometry of Fan-Shroud Assembly Using CFD SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1336 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1336
- Karim , A. , Mehravaran , M. , Lizotte , B. , Miazgowicz , K. et al. Computational Aero-Acoustics Simulation of Automotive Radiator Fan Noise SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 1743 1749 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1657
- Mehravaran , M. and Brereton , G. Modeling of Thermophoretic Soot Deposition and Stabilization on Cooled Surfaces SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2183 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2183
- Kim , J. , Wang , A. , and Cruse , M. Transient Conjugate CFD Simulation of the Radiator Thermal Cycle SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1577 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1577
- Brotz , F. , Kühnel , W. , and Chen , Y. Virtual Temperature Cycle Testing of Automotive Heat Exchangers by Coupled Fluid Structure Simulation SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 1 1 612 617 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1210
- Ay H. , Jang JY. , Yeh JN. Local heat transfer measurements of plate finned-tube heat exchangers by infrared thermography International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 45 20 September 2002 4069 4078
- Roger F. , Chidley A. Thermo-mechanical fatigue design of automotive heat exchangers European Journal of Computational Mechanics, Special Issue on Design and Modelling of Mechanical Systems 22 2-4 2013