This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Self-Driving Intelligent Vehicle to Increase Road Safety, Lower Congestion Rates and Decrease Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study presents the design and development of a vehicle platform with intelligent sensors that has the capabilities to drive independently and cooperatively on roads. An integrated active safety system has been designed to optimize the human senses using ultrasonic infrared sensors and transmitter/receiver modules, to increase the human vision, feel and communication for increased road safety, lower congestion rates, and decrease CO2 emissions. Ultrasonic sensors mounted on the platform, emitted longitudinal 40 kHz waves and received echoes of these sound waves when an object was within its direction. The duration was converted to a distance measurement to detect obstacles as well as using distance measurement threshold values to implement adaptive cruise control. Infrared sensors equipped with an IR LED and a bipolar transistor detected a change in light intensity to identify road lanes. The wireless modules were used for vehicle-to-vehicle communication, where vehicles communicate their current speed and acceleration to each other in order to maintain a constant distance and avoid collisions and traffic congestion. The intelligent vehicle is capable of implementing adaptive cruise control, obstacle avoidance, lane keeping/changing, emergency braking, and vehicle-to-vehicle communication. Under development in this research is to add a vision system and image processing techniques to detect road lanes, obstacles, and traffic lights or signs and also a fusion between a GPS module, rotary encoder and inertial sensor able to self-drive and see incoming traffic not in sight yet in a city environment.
CitationSoloiu, V., Augusma, I., Lucien, D., Thomas, M. et al., "Self-Driving Intelligent Vehicle to Increase Road Safety, Lower Congestion Rates and Decrease Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0161, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0161.
- Top 10 Causes of Car Accidents Normandie Law Firm December 18 2013 July 1 2015 http://www.losangelespersonalinjurylawyers.co/top-10-causes-of-car-accidents/
- The Costs of Highway Congestion ABC News July 1 2015 http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94064
- Pines , Michael Top 3 Causes of Car Accidents in America Driverscom RSS February 19 2013 July 1 2015 http://www.drivers.com/article/1173/
- Predict Congestion and Improve Traffic Management with Analytics Smarter Planet July 1 2015 http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/traffic_congestion/article/traffic-management-and-prediction.html
- Riley , B. , Kuo , G. , Schwartz , B. , Zumberge , J. et al. Development of a Controlled Braking Strategy For Vehicle Adaptive Cruise Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0109 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0109
- Kim , H. and Yi , K. Design of a Model Reference Cruise Control Algorithm SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5 2 440 449 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0492
- Fornero , M. , Lingenfelter , D. , Litkouhi , S. , Oster , K. et al. Flexible Low Cost Lane Departure Warning System SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1736 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1736
- Woo , S. ; Jo Hyo Jin ; Lee Dong Hoon A Practical Wireless Attack on the Connected Car and Security Protocol for In-Vehicle CAN Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on 16 2 993 1006 April 2015 10.1109/TITS.2014.2351612
- Hsu , C. , KO , M. , shih , M. , and Huang , S. An Autonomous and Car-Following System via DSRC Communication SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5 1 257 266 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0741
- Bai , S. and Miucic , R. DSRC Performance Comparison with and without Antenna Diversity Using Different Transmission Power SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5 2 429 439 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0491
- Lowe , Doug Electronics Components: How to Detect Infrared Light For Dummies June 1 2015
- Ultrasonic Sensors Muxindia December 26 2014 June 1 2015 https://muxindia.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/ultrasonic-sensors/
- Waves, Motion and Frequency: The Doppler Effect Einstein July 1 2015 http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/doppler
- Chen , S. , Hsu , C. , and Yu , K. An Inertial Sensing Based System for Lane Curvature Estimation SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0689 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0689
- Chu , K. , Kim , J. , and Sunwoo , M. Distributed System Architecture of Autonomous Vehicles and Real-Time Path Planning based on the Curvilinear Coordinate System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0740 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0740
- Le Tien Trien ; Yamao , Y. An investigation of network coding relay in its V2V communication at intersections Network Infrastructure and Digital Content (IC-NIDC), 2014 4th IEEE International Conference on 297 301 19-21 Sept. 201 10.1109/ICNIDC.2014.7000313
- White , R. , Zhang , T. , Tukey , P. , Lu , K. et al. Commercial Business Viability of IntelliDriveSM Safety Applications SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2313 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2313