This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Self-Driving Intelligent Vehicle to Increase Road Safety, Lower Congestion Rates and Decrease Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study presents the design and development of a vehicle platform with intelligent sensors that has the capabilities to drive independently and cooperatively on roads. An integrated active safety system has been designed to optimize the human senses using ultrasonic infrared sensors and transmitter/receiver modules, to increase the human vision, feel and communication for increased road safety, lower congestion rates, and decrease CO2 emissions. Ultrasonic sensors mounted on the platform, emitted longitudinal 40 kHz waves and received echoes of these sound waves when an object was within its direction. The duration was converted to a distance measurement to detect obstacles as well as using distance measurement threshold values to implement adaptive cruise control. Infrared sensors equipped with an IR LED and a bipolar transistor detected a change in light intensity to identify road lanes. The wireless modules were used for vehicle-to-vehicle communication, where vehicles communicate their current speed and acceleration to each other in order to maintain a constant distance and avoid collisions and traffic congestion. The intelligent vehicle is capable of implementing adaptive cruise control, obstacle avoidance, lane keeping/changing, emergency braking, and vehicle-to-vehicle communication. Under development in this research is to add a vision system and image processing techniques to detect road lanes, obstacles, and traffic lights or signs and also a fusion between a GPS module, rotary encoder and inertial sensor able to self-drive and see incoming traffic not in sight yet in a city environment.
CitationSoloiu, V., Augusma, I., Lucien, D., Thomas, M. et al., "Self-Driving Intelligent Vehicle to Increase Road Safety, Lower Congestion Rates and Decrease Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0161, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0161.
- "Top 10 Causes of Car Accidents." Normandie Law Firm. December 18, 2013. Accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.losangelespersonalinjurylawyers.co/top-10-causes-of-car-accidents/.
- "The Costs of Highway Congestion." ABC News. Accessed July 1, 2015. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94064.
- Pines, Michael. "Top 3 Causes of Car Accidents in America." Driverscom RSS. February 19, 2013. Accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.drivers.com/article/1173/.
- "Predict Congestion and Improve Traffic Management with Analytics." Smarter Planet. Accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/traffic_congestion/article/traffic-management-and-prediction.html.
- Riley, B., Kuo, G., Schwartz, B., Zumberge, J. et al., "Development of a Controlled Braking Strategy For Vehicle Adaptive Cruise Control," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0109, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0109.
- Kim, H. and Yi, K., "Design of a Model Reference Cruise Control Algorithm," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5(2):440-449, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0492.
- Fornero, M., Lingenfelter, D., Litkouhi, S., Oster, K. et al., "Flexible Low Cost Lane Departure Warning System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1736, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1736.
- Woo, S.; Jo Hyo Jin; Lee Dong Hoon, "A Practical Wireless Attack on the Connected Car and Security Protocol for In-Vehicle CAN," Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol.16, no.2, pp.993,1006, April 2015 doi:10.1109/TITS.2014.2351612
- Hsu, C., KO, M., shih, M., and Huang, S., "An Autonomous and Car-Following System via DSRC Communication," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5(1):257-266, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0741.
- Bai, S. and Miucic, R., "DSRC Performance Comparison with and without Antenna Diversity Using Different Transmission Power," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 5(2):429-439, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0491.
- Lowe, Doug. "Electronics Components: How to Detect Infrared Light." For Dummies. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- "Ultrasonic Sensors." Muxindia. December 26, 2014. Accessed June 1, 2015. https://muxindia.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/ultrasonic-sensors/.
- "Waves, Motion and Frequency: The Doppler Effect." - Einstein Online. Accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/doppler.
- Chen, S., Hsu, C., and Yu, K., "An Inertial Sensing Based System for Lane Curvature Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0689, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0689.
- Chu, K., Kim, J., and Sunwoo, M., "Distributed System Architecture of Autonomous Vehicles and Real-Time Path Planning based on the Curvilinear Coordinate System," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0740, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0740.
- Le Tien Trien; Yamao, Y., "An investigation of network coding relay in its V2V communication at intersections," Network Infrastructure and Digital Content (IC-NIDC), 2014 4th IEEE International Conference on, vol., no., pp.297,301, 19-21 Sept. 201 doi:10.1109/ICNIDC.2014.7000313
- White, R., Zhang, T., Tukey, P., Lu, K. et al., "Commercial Business Viability of IntelliDriveSM Safety Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2313, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2313.