This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Latency Optimized Communication Device for WAVE and SAE Based V2X-Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various algorithms such as emergency brake or crash warning using V2X communication have been published recently. For such systems hard real-time constraints have to be satisfied. Therefore latency needs to be minimized to keep the message processing delay below a certain threshold. Existing V2X systems based on the IEEE 1609 and SAE J2735 standards implement most message processing in software. This means the latency of these systems strongly depends on the CPU load as well as the number of incoming messages per time. According to safety constraints all messages of nearby vehicles have to be processed, whereby no prediction of the message importance can be given without analyzing the message content.
Regarding the aforementioned requirements we propose a novel architecture that optimizes latency to satisfy the hard real-time constraints for V2X messages. The novel concept defines latencies of the standards that are safety critical for V2X communication and provides mechanisms to reduce the load of the V2X application processing unit (V2X-APU). The concept supports filtering of messages based on position and direction (GeoCast) to reduce the amount of relevant messages. The concept was implemented with dedicated hardware accelerators to support the V2X-APU. This hardware implementation optimizes the data-flow to minimize the latencies in the V2X communication unit.
We showed that latencies, processing times and CPU load can be minimized for V2X communication. An evaluation of the results shows that our concept can provide guaranteed small message latencies even in worst case conditions, allowing safety algorithms to work effectively and reliably.
|Vehicle Multiplex Communication
|An Integrated Timing Analysis Methodology for Real-Time Systems
|Demonstration of Automotive Steering Column Lock using Multicore AutoSAR® Operating System
CitationPistorius, F., Lauber, A., Pfau, J., Klimm, A. et al., "Development of a Latency Optimized Communication Device for WAVE and SAE Based V2X-Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0150, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0150.
- Rakouth H. , Alexander P. , Brown A. J. , Kosiak W. , Fukushima M. , Ghosh L. , Hedges C. , Kong H. , Kopetzki S. , Siripurapu R. and Shen J. V2x communication technology: Field experience and comparative Beijing, China 2012
- IEEE Standards Association IEEE standard 802.11p 2010
- IEEE IEEE std 1609-2013 IEEE standard for wireless access in vehicular environments Apr. 2013
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Message Set Dictionary SAE Standard J2735 Nov. 2009
- Li , Yunxin Jeff An overview of the DSRC/WAVE technology Quality, Reliability, Security and Robustness in Heterogeneous Networks Springer Berlin Heidelberg 2012
- Wolf M. Security engineering for vehicular IT systems Dissertation Ruhr-University Bochum Bochum 2008
- simTD Testfeld Deutschland: Modellregion Hessen Sep. 2015
- U.S. Department of Transportation safercar 2014
- Automobiel Management Mercedes E-Class is the new benchmark for safety systems 2015
- CohdaWireless Hardware 2015
- Kappsch TrafficCom AG Evk-3300. V2X evaluation kit
- Gräfling , S. ; Mahonen , P. ; Riihijärvi , J. Performance evaluation of IEEE 1609 WAVE and IEEE 802.11p for vehicular communications Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN) 2010
- Benjamin Glas , Oliver Sander , Klaus D. Müller-Glaser , and Jürgen Becker Real-time Car-to-X Communication Security and E/E Architecture Integration ATZelektronik worldwide 2012
- Miroslav Knezevic , Ventzislav Nikov , and Peter Rombouts Low-Latency ECDSA Signature Verification - A Road Towards Safer Traffic - IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2014
- Petri M. Latenzverringerung in Basisbandprozessoren am Beispiel eines hochratigen OFDM-Kommunikationssystems 2012
- Mueller R. , Teubner J. and Alonso G. Data processing on FPGAs Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment 2009
- Kung A. Security architecture and mechanisms for v2v/v2i SeVe-Com Feb. 2008
- Moreno M. T. Inter-vehicle communications: Achieving safety in distributed wireless environment (challenges, systems and protocols) Dissertation University Karlsruhe Jul. 2007
- Aydos M. , Yantk T. , and Koc C. A high-speed ECC-based wireless authentication on an ARM microprocessor Computer Security Applications Dec. 2000
- U.S. Department of Transportation Vehicle Safety Communications Project Task 3 Final Report - Identify Intelligent Vehicle Safety Applications Enabled by DSRC 2015
- IEEE Standard for Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (WAVE) Multi-channel Operation IEEE Standard 1609.4 2010
- Glas , B. Trusted Computing für adaptive Automobilsteuergeräte im Umfeld der Inter-Fahrzeug-Kommunikation Karlsruhe KIT Scientific Publishing 2011
- U.S. Department of Defense GPS Standard Positioning Service (SPS) Performance Standard 2008
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) Minimum Performance Requirements SAE Standard J2945 , work in progress 2016
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard On-Board System Requirements for V2V Safety Communications SAE Standard J2945.1, work in progress 2016
- Park , Y. , and Kim , H. Application-Level Frequency Control of Periodic Safety Messages in the IEEE WAVE IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2012