This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Integration and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HiL) Simulation Design for the Testing of Electric Power Steering Controllers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) of an Electric Power Steering (EPS) system is a core device to decide how much assistance an electric motor applies on a steering wheel. The EPS ECU plays an important role in EPS systems. The effectiveness of an ECU needs to be thoroughly tested before mass production. Hardware-in-the-loop simulation provides an efficient way for the development and testing of embedded controllers. This paper focuses on the development of a HiL system for testing EPS controllers. The hardware of the HiL system employs a dSPACE HiL simulator. The EPS plant model is an integrated model consisting of a Vehicle Dynamics model of the dSPACE Automotive Simulation Model (ASM) and the Nexteer Steering model. The paper presents the design of an EPS HiL system, the simulation of sensors and actuators, the functions of the ASM Vehicle Dynamics model, and the integration method of the ASM Vehicle Dynamics model with a Steering model. The offline simulation of the integrated model is performed and the results for different driving maneuvers are presented.
|Technical Paper||The Validity of EPS Control System Development using HILS|
|Technical Paper||Fault Detection in Automotive Semi-Active Suspension: Experimental Results|
|Technical Paper||The Motor Current Sensor Fail-Operation Algorithms for the EPS System|
CitationLiu, C., Chen, B., Cheng, M., Champagne, A. et al., "Model Integration and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HiL) Simulation Design for the Testing of Electric Power Steering Controllers," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0029, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0029.
- Pfister, F., Reitze C., and Schmidt A., Hardware-in-the-Loop -The technologie for development and test for vehicle control systems. IPG Automotive Engineering Software Consulting GmbH.
- Schuette, H. and Waeltermann, P., "Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Vehicle Dynamics Controllers - A Technical Survey ," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1660, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1660.
- Lamberg, K. and Waeltermann, P., Using HIL Simulation to Test Mechatronic Components in Automotive Engineering. 2nd Congress on "Mechatronik im Automobil", 2000.
- dSPACE GmbH, DS5202 Electric Motor HIL Soluation Hardware and Software Installation and Configuration. 2013(Soluation Version 13.1).
- dSPACE GmbH, ASM Vehicle Dynamics Reference For ASM Vehicle Dynamics Blockset 2.4 and ASM Vehicle Dynamics Operator Blockset 2.4. 2013(Release 2013-A).
- Yan, Q., Oueslati, F., Bielenda, J., and Hirshey, J., "Hardware in the Loop for a Dynamic Driving System Controller Testing and Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1667, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-1667.
- Himmler, A., Waeltermann, P., and Khoee-Fard, M., "Advancements in Hardware-in-the-Loop Technology in Support of Complex Integration Testing of Embedded System Software," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0443, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0443.
- Waeltermann, P., Schuette H., and Diekstall K., Hardware-inthe-Loop Testing of Distributed Electronic Systems. Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift (ATZ) 05/20042004.