This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Proposed Process for Structural Reliability Analysis of Automotive Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the design of automotive structural components is common scaling of the data for the "worst case", i.e. a condition of the component of least resistance (stress) and maximum load conditions applied (strength). However, in a real situation, it is not possible to determine with absolute certainty these amounts due to the random nature of the parameters involved. Thus, this design should be treated in a probabilistic manner, where the parameters involved could be considered as random variables, and the project could be qualified for a desired condition of reliability.
This paper presents a proposed process (flowchart) for performing computational experiments for reliability analysis in automotive structural components regarding stochastic conditions of involved parameters. The process showed itself as able to identify the most adequate method of predicting reliability to solve problems of stress -strength interference in a design of structural automotive component.
CitationFilho, A., "A Proposed Process for Structural Reliability Analysis of Automotive Components," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0561, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0561.
- ARCELOR-MITTAL AUTOMOTIVE COMUNICATIONS Automotive worldwide: Product offer for Europe - 2008 edition 2008 Luxembourg 133
- AGRAWAL , H. , JUNEJA , L. , SUDJIANTO , A. High Mileage Reliability/Robustness Using Fatigue/Durability CAE Dearborn Ford Motor Company 1997 17
- BECK , A. Um método para analise de confiabilidade para elementos finitos Dissertação (Mestrado) Florianópolis Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis 1999 188
- CORNEL , A.C. A probabilistic-based structural code American Concrete Institute Journal 66 December 974 985 1969
- FIESSLER , B. , NEUMANN , H.J. , RACKWITZ , R. Quadratic Limit States In Structure Reliability . ASCE J Eng Mech Div 105 4 August 661 676 1979
- FRIEDMAN , J. Multivariate Adaptative Regression Splines The Annals of Statistics 19 01 01 141 1990
- HARBITZ , A. An efficient sampling method for probability of failure calculation Journal of Structural Safety 3 January 109 115 1986
- JCSS - JOINT COMMITTEE ON STRUCTURAL SAFETY Probabilistic Model Code 12th. Draft 2001 http://www.jcss.ethz.ch/ 13 Jan 2009 172
- MCKAY , M.D. , CONOVER , W.J. , BECKMAN , R.J. A comparison of three methods for selecting values of input variables in the analysis of output from a Computer code Technometrics 21 2 May 239 245 1979
- NASCIMENTO FILHO , ANTONIO CARLOS CARVALHO Análise de confiabilidade de um componente estrutural automotivo Dissertação (Mestrado) Salvador Faculdade de Tecnologia Senai - Cimatec 2011 133
- NOGUEIRA , C. G. Um modelo de confiabilidade e otimização aplicada as estruturas de barras de concreto armado Dissertação (Mestrado) São Carlos Universidade de São Paulo. Escola de Engenharia de São Carlos 2005 166
- PRESS , W.H. , FLANNERY , B.P. , TEUKOLSKY , S.A. , VETTERLING , W.T. Numerical recipes in C++, The Art of Scientific Computing New York Cambridge University Press 1992 1018
- RACKWITZ , R. , FIESSLER , B. Structural reliability under combined random load sequence Computers and Structures 09 05 Novembro 489 494 1978