This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Overview of Data Transmission Used in UAVs for Remote Sensing Surveillance and Environmental Management Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increasing development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) technologies has allowed greater use of UAVs as remote sensing platforms to enhance satellite and manned aerial vehicle remote sensing surveillance and environmental management systems. Particularly, the Brazilian National Institute for Space Research - INPE has an Environmental Data Collection System (SCD) since 1993. Recently, the MCTI (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation) opened the National Center for Monitoring and Early Warning of Natural Disasters (CEMADEN). Both may need additional resources for their expansions in the near future as offered by UAV technologies. These needs illustrate the potential of UAV technologies as complement to existing or future systems.
This paper presents an overview of data transmission used in UAVs for remote sensing surveillance and environmental management systems.
This includes post-disaster assessment, environmental management and monitoring of infrastructure development with emphasis on imagery data communication system between the users and the aerial vehicle - link via satellite, available mobile communication networks and direct line of sight. Modulation types and allocated frequency bands for these applications are presented. These allows an image data signal captured by the surveillance camera be either displayed on the terminals in real time, or stored on ground for future off-line analysis.
So, this overview aims to contribute to the expansion of current and future remote sensing surveillance and environmental management systems in Brazil using UAV technologies.
Citationda Silva Araujo, R., Rodrigues, J., and de Oliveira e Souza, M., "An Overview of Data Transmission Used in UAVs for Remote Sensing Surveillance and Environmental Management Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0543, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0543.
- Chao , H. , Baumann , M. , Jensen , A. , Chen , Y. et al. Band-reconfigurable Multi-UAV-based Cooperative Remote Sensing for Real-time Water Management and Distributed Irrigation Control Proceedings of the 17th World Congress The International Federation of Automatic Control Seoul, Korea July 6 11 2008
- Richards , A. Coping with Water scarcity: The Governance Challenge IGCC Policy Paper October 2002
- Johnson , L.F. , Herwitz , S.R. , Dunagan , S.E. , Lobitz , B.M. et al. Collection of Ultra High Spatial and Spectral Resolution Image Data over California Vineyards with Small UAV Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environmental 20 845 849 2003
- Johnson , L.F. , Herwitz , S.R. , Lobitz , B.M. and Dunagan , S.E. Feasibility of Monitoring Coffee Field Ripeness with Airborne Multispectral Imagery Applied Engineering in Agriculture 0883-8542 20 845 850 2004
- Akihisa , W. , Toshiaki , Y. , Masaaki , M. , Takanari , A. et al. A Surveillance System Using Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Related Technologies NEC Technical Journal 8 1 September 2013
- Ma , D. , Yang , S. UAV Image Transmission System Based on Satellite Relay Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology - ICMMT 2004
- Schowengerdt , R.A. Remote Sensing: Models and Methods for Image Processing 3rd Academic Press 2 2007
- Campbell , J.B. Introduction to Remote Sensing 4th Guilford Press 2006
- Jensen , J.R. Remote Sensing of the Environment: an Earth Resource Perspective 2nd New Jersey Prentice Hall Press 2009
- Martin , D.H. , Anderson , P.R. , Bartamian , L. Communication Satellites Fifth The Aerospace Press NY 2007
- Grebennikov , A. RF and Microwave Transmitter Design Wiley series in Microwave and Optical Engineering John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2011
- Daniel , K. and Wietfeld , C. Using Public Network Infrastructures for UAV Remote Sensing in Civilian Security Operations Homeland Security Affairs March 2011 WWW.HSAJ.ORG
- Frenzel , L. Understanding Modern Digital Modulation Techniques Electronic Design Magazine Jan 23 2012 http://electronicdesign.com/communications/understanding-modern-digital-modulation-techniques
- Garvey , B. Link Budget Analysis: Digital Modulation, Part 3 Presentation Atlanta RF July 2013 http://www.atlantarf.com/Downloads.php
- Stephen , P. OFDM (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing Gigabit Wireless Article April 22 2015 http://www.gigabit-wireless.com/gigabit-wireless/ofdm-orthogonal-frequency-division-multiplexing/