This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Proposal of an Aerodynamic Concept for Drag Reduction of Fastback Car Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The automotive industry pursues to decrease the fuel consumption of road cars. As the Brazilian government, many countries around the world incentive the industry to achieve such reduction.
The purpose of this paper is an aerodynamic concept for drag reduction of fastback car. To represent a car model, the DrivAer Fastback two-dimensional profile has been adopted as baseline. The momentum transfer via blowing or suction jet applied on the rear car are investigated by means of CFD technique.
From the quantitative point of view, the suction jet on rear car profile does not seem to be a way to yield drag reduction. The blowing jet at higher speed points to smaller global drag than baseline profile. Despite this positive first conclusion, the correction of drag results (removing jet momentum from the global drag) points to higher drag of profile car than the baseline car in all three cases. On the other hand, the results from the injection of momentum at lower speed suggest a reasonable application as drag reduction system. Compared to the baseline car profile, momentum injection cases at all positions indicates drag reduction. In addition, the profile drag decreases as the jet position is higher at lower jet speed.
Therefore, the main contributions of this paper are (a) to expose that the best drag reduction has been evidenced via blowing jet at lower speed at highest rear car position, as well as (b) offering to automotive engineering an aerodynamic concept to improve drag reduction of road cars.
CitationSoares, R. and de Souza, F., "Proposal of an Aerodynamic Concept for Drag Reduction of Fastback Car Models," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0523, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0523.
- Ahmad , N. E. et al. Mesh optimization for Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics 2010 CFD Letters 2
- Ahmed , S.R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Trans. ASME. Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434 1983
- Browand et al. The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles II: Trucks, Buses, and Trains Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics 41 Springer Heidelberg 2009
- Bruneau , C-H. et al. Coupling active and passive techniques to control the flow past the square back Ahmed body Computers & Fluids 39 1875 1892 2010
- Heft , A. I. et al. Introduction of a new realistic generic car model for aerodynamic investigations 2012 SAE World Congress 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0168
- Heft , A. I. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the DrivAer Model Rio Grande, Puerto Rico ASME 2012 Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting 2012 10.1115/FEDSM2012-72272
- Hucho , W-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fouth Society of Automotive Engineers Inc 1998
- Olander , M. et al. CFD Simulation of the Volvo Cars Slotted Walls Wind Tunnel 53 Master Thesis Chalmers University of Technology 2011
- Soares , R. F. et al. Análise Preliminar do Efeito da Turbulência sobre um Mecanismo de Recolamento da Camada Limite IX Escola de Primavera de Transição e Turbulência 2014 10.13140/2.1.4189.2166
- Soares , R. F. et al. Preliminary Analysis of Boundary Layer Reattachment by Momentum Injection Method over NACA0012 XXXV Ibero-Latin American Congress on Computational Methods in Engineering 2014 10.13140/2.1.2053.2005
- Huang , P.G. et al. Law of the wall for turbulent flows in pressure gradients AIAA Journal 33 624 632 1995
- Soares , R. F. et al. Estudo Fluidodinâmico Computacional (CFD) Aplicado à Aerodinâmica do Esporte Automobilístico 149 Bachelor Thesis UTFPR 2013
- Soares , R. F. et al. Análise Preliminar do Efeito da Turbulência sobre um Mecanismo de Recolamento da Camada Limite IX Escola de Primavera de Transição e Turbulência 2014
- Soares , R. F. et al. Preliminary Analysis of Boundary Layer Reattachment by Momentum Injection Method over NACA0012 XXXV Ibero-Latin American Congress on Computational Methods in Engineering 2014