This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Brazilian Automotive Scenario over the Hatch 2015 Car Models: A View from Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since the Brazilian government established the Inovar-Auto programme in 2012, the automotive industry has pursued tax savings by signing up for the programme. This new plan (from 2013 to 2017) has three main objectives: fortification of the industry and domestic market; increase incentives for investment and innovation; and enhance energy efficiency of vehicles produced in Brazil. For instance, manufacturers can gain up to 2% extra in IPI tax credits (aside 30% from Inovar-Auto achievements) by producing even more fuel-efficient models.
In relation to energy efficiency, the aerodynamic drag over a vehicle contributes to the share of energy requested to promote its movement in high speed. Thus, the drag forces are the major reasons of fuel consumption.
In this context, this paper presents a profile comparison of Hatch 2015 cars models produced in Brazil, in regards to drag and geometry features as roof end angle, rear slant angle and rear-end spoiler.
The 2015 best-seller model of each one of the ten 2014 best-seller manufactures in Brazil are analysed. These ten Hatch 2015 models are: (1st) Fiat Novo Palio, (2nd) Volkswagen Gol, (3rd) Chevrolet Onix, (4th) Hyundai HB20, (5th) Ford New Fiesta, (6th) Renault Sandero, (7th) Toyota Etios, (8th) Citroen C3, (9th) Nissan March, and (10th) Peugeot 208.
Therefore, the main contribution of this paper is to compare the bestseller car profiles produced and commercialised in Brazil, in a view of aerodynamic forces and geometry features.
CitationSoares, R. and de Souza, F., "The Brazilian Automotive Scenario over the Hatch 2015 Car Models: A View from Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0518, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0518.
- Pieracciani , V. Eficiência Energética Será Pesadelo Da Indústria Interview 24 Apr. 2015 30 Apr. 2015
- GM Media GM Breaks Ground on New Reduced-Scale Wind Tunnel Interview 13 Mar. 2014 30 Jan. 2015 http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/mar/0313-wind-tunnel.html
- Hucho , W-H. et al. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fouth Society of Automotive Engineers Inc 1998
- Ahmed , S. R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Trans. ASME. Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434 1983
- Browand et al. The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles II: Trucks, Buses, and Trains Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics 41 Springer Heidelberg 2009
- Huang , P.G. et al. Law of the wall for turbulent flows in pressure gradients AIAA Journal 33 624 632 1995
- Olander , M. et al. CFD Simulation of the Volvo Cars Slotted Walls Wind Tunnel 53 Master Thesis Chalmers University of Technology 2011
- Heft , A. I. et al. Introduction of a new realistic generic car model for aerodynamic investigations 2012 SAE World Congress 2012
- Heft , A. I. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of The DrivAer Model Rio Grande, Puerto Rico ASME 2012 Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting 2012
- Soares , R. F. et al. Estudo Fluidodinâmico Computacional (CFD) Aplicado à Aerodinâmica do Esporte Automobilístico 149 Bachelor Thesis UTFPR 2013
- Marioli , M. Fuction Versus Apparence, The Interaction Between Customer, Stylist and Engineer in Vehicle Design Int. Journal of Vehicle Design 5 1983
- Janssen , L. J. et al. Aerodynamische Entwicklung von VW Golf und Scirocco ATZ 77 1975
- INMETRO Programa Brasileiro de Etiquetagem - PBE 16 Apr. 2015 http://www.inmetro.gov.br/consumidor/pbe/veiculos_leves_2015.pdf