This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Solubility Analysis of Ethanol and Diesel Oil with Biodiesel (B7) Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The solubility of ethanol in diesel oil with biodiesel is a limiting factor for its use as fuel for compression ignition engines. The stability of blends of ethanol with concentration varying from 5% to 30% in diesel oil containing 7% of biodiesel (B7) was evaluated at temperatures from 16°C to 25°C. The blends were conditioned in graduated glass cylinders and kept at the test temperatures, being observed the blend phase separation percentage in specific time schedules. The results show the stability time of each blend, indicating the maximum storage and use periods for the ethanol concentration evaluated. The results demonstrate that fuel blends with ethanol concentrations up to 15% can safely be used as engine fuels, as far as the tested parameters are concerned.
CitationLuciano, M., Valente, O., and Sodré, J., "Solubility Analysis of Ethanol and Diesel Oil with Biodiesel (B7) Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0403, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0403.
- Armas , O , Gomez , A , Mata , C , Ramos , A Particle size distributions from a city bus fuelled with ethanol-biodiesel-diesel fuel blends Fuel 2013 111 393 400
- Satgè de Caro P , Moulongui Z , Vaitilingom G , Berge JCh Interest of combining an additive with diesel-ethanol blends for use in diesel engines Fuel 2001 80 565 74
- Xiaoyan , S. , Xiaobing , P. , Yujing , M. , Hong , H. , Shijin , S. , Jianxin , W. Emission reduction potential of using ethanol-biodiesel-diesel fuel blend on a heavy-duty diesel engine Atmos Environ 2006 40 2567 74
- Chen , Hu ; Shuai Shi-jin ; Jian-Xin , Wang Study on combustion characteristics and PM emission of diesel engines using ester- ethanol-diesel blended fuels Combustion Institute 31 2981 2989 2007
- Hansen , A C. , Zhang , Q. , Lyne , P.W.L. Ethanol-diesel fuel blends - a review Bioresource Technology 96 2005 277 285
- Gerdes , K.R. , Suppes , G.J. 2001 Miscibility of ethanol in diesel fuels Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 40 3 949 956
- Hardenberg , H.O. , Ehnert , E.R. 1981 Ignition quality determination problems with alternative fuels for compression ignition engines SAE Technical Paper 811212
- Hardenberg , H.O. , Schaefer , A.J. 1981 The use of ethanol as a fuel for compression-ignition engines SAE Technical Paper 811211
- Schaefer , A.J. , Hardenberg , H.O. 1981 Ignition improvers for ethanol fuels SAE Technical Paper 810249
- Torres-Jimenez , E. , Jerman , M. S. , Lisec , A. G., I. , Dorado M. P. , Kegl , B. Physical and chemical properties of ethanol-diesel fuel blends Fuel 90 2011 795 802
- Lei , J ; Shen L ; Bi , Y ; Chen H A novel emulsifier for ethanol- diesel blends and its effect on performance and emissions of diesel engine Fuel 93 305 311 2012
- Tse , H. , Leung , C.W. , Cheung . C.S. Investigation on the combustion characteristics and particulate emissions from a diesel engine fueled with diesel-biodiesel-ethanol Blends Energy 83 2015 343 350
- Rakopoulos , D. C. , Rakopoulos , C.D. , Giakoumis E.G. Impact of properties of vegetable oil, bio-diesel, ethanol and n-butanol on the combustion and emissions of turbocharged HDDI diesel engine operating under steady and transient conditions Fuel 156 2015 1 19
- Lapuerta , M. , Armas , O. , Garcı´a-Contreras , R. Stability of diesel-bioethanol blends for use in diesel engines Fuel 86 2007 1351 1357
- ANP RESOLUÇÃO N° 50, DE 23.12.2013 - DOU 24.12.2013
- Szklo ; A. Uller ; V.C. Fundamentos do Refino de Petróleo. Editora Interciência Ltda Engenho Novo Rio de Janeiro 20710 290 2008