This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Characterization of Ethanol Sprays from a Single Hole Direct Injection Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study concerns the sprays produced by a single hole direct injection injector through a systematic image treatment methodology. The images were obtained by high speed recording associated with shadowgraph technique. The recording frequency was 6504 Hz. Grayscale images were obtained after a process of histogram adjusting and image subtraction. The spray volume and penetration was evaluated through a process of edge detection in the hollow cone of the spray injection. A criterion based on pixel values was taken to localize the spray edges as angles and x and y position data. The high pixel values were associated with liquid phase while the low pixel values were associated to its absence. Computational codes written in Matlab environment were used to analyze the numerical matrices associated to the images. The high frequency image recording allowed studying the sprays in all its development. The tests were conducted with injection pressure variation. The injection pressures in this work were 30, 50, 70, 90, 100 and 110 bar. EXXSOL D60 was the tested fluid. This fluid simulates ethanol fuel properties. Nitrogen was the gas used in a pressurized chamber to give the required injection pressures. The results show little cone angle variation with injection pressure, higher spray penetration for higher pressures for sufficient time after start of injection (ASOI) and spray volume with linear behavior with the time ASOI.
- Marcio Expedito Guzzo - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Carlos Alberto Gomes - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Sérgio Augusto Passos Costa - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- Roberto Berlini Rodrigues da Costa - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
- José Eduardo Mautone Barros - Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais
CitationGuzzo, M., Gomes, C., Costa, S., da Costa, R. et al., "Experimental Characterization of Ethanol Sprays from a Single Hole Direct Injection Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0373, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0373.
- Baumgarten , C. Mixture formation in internal combustion engines Germany Springer 2006 294 Guo , Q. and Liu , B. Simulation and Physical Measurement of Seamless Passenger Airbag Door Deployment SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0082 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0082
- Settles , G. S. 2006 Schlieren and shadowgraph techniques: visualizing phenomena in transparent media 2 Germany Springer 376
- Kim , K. , Kim , D. , Jung , Y. , Bae , C. Spray and combustion characteristics of gasoline and diesel in a direct injection compression iignition engine FUEL 109 616-626 Elsevier 2013
- Lefebvre , A. H. 1989 Atomization and Sprays Taylor and Francis London
- Zhao , F. ; Harrington , D. L. ; Lai , M. C. Automotive gasoline direct-injection engines USA SAE 2002 352
- Lacava , P. T. , Pimenta , A. P. , & Bastos-Netto , D. 2004 Design procedure and experimental evaluation of pressure-swirl atomizers
- Shao , J. ; Yan , Y. Digital Imaging Based of Diesel Spray Characteristics IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Sorrento, Italy 2006
- AZEVEDO E. ; CONCI , A. Computação gráfica: geração de imagens Rio de Janeiro Elsevier 2003 353