This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Formula SAE Aerodynamics: Design process with focus on drivability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the design process of an aerodynamic kit for a Formula SAE competition vehicle using CFD with special attention to the distribution of aerodynamic loads. The methodology for the development of concepts is to create a boundary that respects the geometric constraints of the vehicle and also complies with FSAE 2015/16 Rules. Inside these boundaries different geometries of aerodynamic accessories can be analyzed and several full vehicle models can be created. The initial model is conceived based on the literature and then analyzed with CFD to generate another model. The process is repeated until it reaches a model that cannot be considered optimum but is close enough to the targets previously defined. The governing equations for the numerical simulation are presented as well as the reason for their use. The simplifications in the CAD model are explained and the domain is then discretized in predominantly hexahedral elements with orthogonal prismatic cells next to wall surfaces. Another difference is that the airfoil profiles used are specifically designed for racing vehicles. The most relevant parameters in multi element profiles (slots, AoA) have been optimized and show good agreement with wind-tunnel validated studies as shown by the literature used. After the CFD analysis is completed and the final concept defined, the gains due to the aerodynamic kit are quantified based on lap time simulations. Finally the performance on the track with and without the kit is evaluated and gg diagrams are made with the data acquired. Additionally, simple flow visualization techniques are used and described.
CitationSoliman, P., Martins, M., and Schommer, A., "Formula SAE Aerodynamics: Design process with focus on drivability," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0359, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0359.
- McBeath , S. Competition Car Aerodynamics, Second Edition Sparkford Haynes Publishing 2011 978-085733-007-9
- Katz , J. Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed Cambridge Robert Bentley 1995 0-8376-0142-8
- Fujimoto , T. and Suzuki , T. Aerodynamic Design for SR11 (Formula SAE Racing Car) SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9100 2013 0148-7191
- Craig , C. and Passmore , M. Methodology for the Design of an Aerodynamic Package for a Formula SAE Vehicle SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 2 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0596
- Rodrigues , J. C. M. and Vieira R. D. S. Evaluation of the effects of adding front and rear wings on the lap times of a formula sae car SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0136 2012 0148-7191
- Rehnberg , S. , Börjesson , L. , Svensson R. and Rice , J. Race Car Aerodynamics - The Design Process of an Aerodynamic Package for the 2012 Chalmers Formula SAE Car SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0797 2013 0148-7191
- Versteeg , H. and Malalasekera , W. An introduction to computational fluid dynamics Harlow Longaman 1995 0-582-21884-5
- CD-adapco The Steve Portal https://steve.cd-adapco.com/ May 2015
- ANSYS ANSYS Fluent Theory Guide http://220.127.116.11/Ansys/150/ANSYS%20Fluent%20Theory%20Guide.pdf May 2015
- SAE International Guidelines for Aerodynamic Assessment of Medium and Heavy Commercial Ground Vehicles Using Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Standard J2966
- SAE International 2015 Formula SAE Rules http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/rules/2015-16_fsae_rules.pdf May 2015
- Lu , X. Research on the Flow Field Around a Formula SAE Car SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0208 2015 10.4271/2015-26-0208
- Benzing , E. Ali/Wings Vimodrone Giorgio Nada Editore 2012 978-88-7911-539-1
- Buscariolo , F. F. , De Oliveira , D. A. , Sales , F. B. Comparative CFD Study of Undertray Designs over an Open Wheel Prototype Race Car SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0110 2013 0148-1791
- Ehirim , O. Optimal Diffuser Design for Formula SAE Race Car Using an Innovative Geometry Buildup and CFD Simulation Setup with On-Track Testing Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1169 2012 0148-1791
- Milliken , W. and Milliken , D. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers 1995 1-56091-526-9