This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Torque-Speed-Temperature Relationship in Grease Lubricated Angular Contact Ball Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High friction often involves high wear and power loss. The speed-temperature-dependence of grease lubricated contact ball bearings showed a variety of effects. The test apparatus is an axially-loaded angular contact ball bearing instrumented to measure the frictional torque as well as the transient temperature of the raceway. Effects of friction torque were examined at different speeds, operating temperatures and greases. Torque measurements and transient temperatures were compared for each grease, depending on the operating conditions. After experimental results, the grease formulation under different operation temperatures and different speeds showed significant influence on starting and rotating torques. Moreover the torque showed significant increase during the angular acceleration phase and decreased rapidly after the speed stabilization in all investigated greases.
|Technical Paper||A New Single-Screw Pump|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Vibration and Monitoring Analysis of High-Speed Turbomachinery using a Rotor Test Rig|
Citationda Silva, L., Tessari, K., Privatti, M., Wagner, A. et al., "Torque-Speed-Temperature Relationship in Grease Lubricated Angular Contact Ball Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0234, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0234.
- Holmberg , K. Friction science saves energy VTT Impulse 2 2009 18 25
- Cousseau , Tiago et al. Friction torque in grease lubricated thrust ball bearings Tribology international 44.5 2011 523 531
- Takabi , Jafar , and Khonsari M. M. Experimental testing and thermal analysis of ball bearings Tribology International 60 2013 93 103
- Harris , Tedric A. , and Barnsby Roger M. Tribological performance prediction of aircraft gas turbine mainshaft ball bearings Tribology transactions 41.1 1998 60 68
- Houpert , Luc Ball bearing and tapered roller bearing torque: analytical, numerical and experimental results Tribology transactions 45.3 2002 345 353
- Houpert , Luc Numerical and analytical calculations in ball bearings EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY-PUBLICATIONS-ESA SP 438 1999 283 290
- Bălan , Mihaela Rodica D. et al. The influence of the lubricant viscosity on the rolling friction torque Tribology International 72 2014 1 12
- Hamrock , Bernard J. , Schmid Steven R. , and Jacobson Bo O. Fundamentals of fluid film lubrication CRC press 2004
- Hampson , Matthew R. et al. Speed-Dependence of Bearing Torque Anomalous Effects With Grease Lubrication
- Glavatskih , S. B. A method of temperature monitoring in fluid film bearings Tribology International 37.2 2004 143 148
- Ünlü , Bekir Sadık , and Atik Enver Determination of friction coefficient in journal bearings Materials & design 28.3 2007 973 977
- Kobzova , R. I. , Klimov K. I. , and Shul'zhenko I. V. Influence of temperature on static frictional torque of grease-lubricated bearings Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils 10.3 1974 227 229
- Cann , P. M. Grease lubrication of rolling element bearings-role of the grease thickener Lubrication Science 19.3 2007 183 196
- Mang , T. and Dresel , W. Lubricants and Lubrication 2nd WILEY-VCH 2007 25 27