This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Methods for Extraction of Information on Images with Low-Depth of Field
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to make devices partially or completely autonomous, it is imperative nowadays to extract relevant information from the myriad of data available. In the last years, it has become very common to use images as signals of interest to propose feasible solution to this problem. Image recognition can be used with high accuracy rates when the object of interest or the environment are controlled or well known. However, in open urban spaces, for instance, where there are all sorts of visual artifacts and stimuli (information), the segmentation of the object of interest (foreground) from the rest of the image (background) is a challenging issue. One possible way to tackle this problem is to use low-depth of field images, which analogously to our visual perception highlight the object of interest from the rest of the image. In this work, some methods and algorithms for segmenting low-depth of field images are analyzed and compared, providing an updated and contextualized version of the state-of-the-art of this topic.
Citationde Luca, F. and Thomaz, C., "Analysis of Methods for Extraction of Information on Images with Low-Depth of Field," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0225, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0225.
- Euro NCAP 2020 roadmap: European new car assessment programme Jun. 2014
- Sankhe , N. An Overview of Image processing for traffic applications IOSR Journal of Engineering 4 4 08 14 2014 10.9790/3021-04410814
- Chen , L.C. , Nguyen , X.L. , and Liang , C.W. Object segmentation method using depth slicing and region growing algorithms International Conference on 3D Systems and Applications Tokyo, Japan April 2010
- Hsu , S. , Acharya , S. , Rafii , A. , and New , R. Performance of a Time-of-Flight Range Camera for Intelligent Vehicle Safety Applications Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications 2006 205 219 2006 10.1007/3-540-33410-6_16
- Kastrinaki , V. , Zervakis , M. , and Kalaitzakis , K. A survey of video processing techniques for traffic applications Image and Vision Computing 21 4 359 381 2003 10.1016/S0262-8856(03)00004-0
- Young , M. Óptica e Lasers São Paulo EDUSP 1998 61 62 85-314-0333-2
- Hecht , E. Optics, 4th Edition San Francisco Addison Wesley 2002 156 160 0-321-18878-0
- Neverova , N. and Konik , H. Edge-based method for sharp region extraction from low depth of field images Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP), 2012 IEEE USA November 27 30 2012 10.1109/VCIP.2012.6410778
- Gupta , N. , Xu , W. , and Kamboj , D. Depth-based segmentation - A review 2013 Fourth International Conference on Computing, Communications and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT) India July 4 6 2013 10.1109/ICCCNT.2013.6726815
- Achanta , R. , Hemami , S. , Estrada , F. and Süsstrunk , S. Frequency-tuned salient region detection IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) USA June 20 25 2009 10.1109/CVPR.2009.5206596
- Achanta , R. and Süsstrunk , S. Saliency detection using maximum symmetric surround IEEE International Conference On Image Processing (ICIP) China September 26 29 2010 10.1109/ ICIP.2010.5652636
- Graf , F. , Kriegel , H.P. , and Weiler , M. Robust segmentation of relevant regions in low depth of field images 2011 18th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (IEEE ICIP2011) Belgium September 11 14 2011 10.1109/ICIP.2011.6116145
- Zhang , K. , Lu , H. , Wang , Z. , Zhao , Q. et al. A Fuzzy Segmentation of Salient Region of Interest in Low Depth of Field Image 13th International Multimedia Modeling Conference (MMM 2007) Singapore January 9 12 2007 10.1007/978-3-540-69423-6_76
- Kim , C. Segmenting a low-depth-of-field image using morphological filters and region merging IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 14 10 1503 1511 2005 10.1109/TIP.2005.846030
- Li , H. and Ngan , K.N. Unsupervized Video Segmentation With Low Depth of Field IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 17 12 1742 1751 2007 10.1109/ TCSVT.2007.903326
- Li , H. and Ngan , K.N. Learning to Extract Focused Objects From Low DOF Images IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 21 11 1571 1580 2011 10.1109/ TCSVT.2011.2129150