This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test and Validation of Vehicle Vertical Dynamics in a Multibody Doftware
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper shows the elaboration of studies about the driver’s comfort in a Baja SAE vehicle in different track conditions. The multibody model was designed in ADAMS VIEW software with full vehicle components aim evaluate frequencies, accelerations and displacements in any part of the vehicle.
Several tests and measurements were made to acquire springs, dampers and tire data to ensure the model represents the real vehicle. The full vehicle and also the driver were modeled through a CAD software, thus all geometries, mass and inertias were inputted in the multibody model based on the built vehicle. The vertical displacements were modeled in the multibody software simulating the road profile, so it was possible to analyze the vehicle ride behavior with different set ups in different tracks.
The validation of multibody mathematical model was made by modeling the same maneuver that the vehicle instrumented with data acquisition was submitted. The mathematical model output and the data acquisition results were confronted and the results shows that the mathematical model can be considered validated.
After the mathematical model be validated, it can be use in future analysis with high confidence level. This model will be helpful to evaluate design and make modifications in earlier phases of vehicle development, reducing cost, engineering time, prototype manufacturing and mainly time in test phase once that will be necessary just the fine tuning.
CitationAfonso, B., Chicuta, W., and Bortolussi, R., "Test and Validation of Vehicle Vertical Dynamics in a Multibody Doftware," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0211, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0211.
- SAE 2014 BAJA SAE Rules Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers 2014
- PERSEGUIM , Odilon T. Dinâmica veicular relativa ao ride de veículos e métricas para sua avaliação 2005
- SAE J670 - Vehicle dynamics terminology Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers 2008
- DEAKIN , A. et al. The effect of chassis stiffness on racecar handling balance SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3554 2000
- PERSEGUIM , O. , Peres , E. , FERNADES , C. , and da Silva Filho , J. Pickups Vehicle Dynamics: Ride and Skate SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3588 2003
- Gillespie , T. D. 1992 Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers Warren dale, PA 1560911999
- OLLEY , M Independent wheel suspension- its whys and wherefores SAE Transactions 34 3 1934
- SEGERS , J. Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition Warrendale 2008
- MILLIKEN , D. ; MILLIKEN , W. Racecar vehicle dynamics Warrendale, PA, USA Society of Automotive Engineers 1995