This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Real-World Driving Cycle and its Impacts on Fuel Consumption and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve urban air quality and to meet legislation requirements, vehicular technology is constantly advancing. It focuses on techniques that reduce fuel consumption and emissions of greenhouse gases as well as harmful pollutant emissions. The technologies, however, have different impacts depending on the city, its traffic conditions and urban planning as well as other socioeconomic and cultural factors that affect the driving stile. Thus, standard drive cycles such as NEDC, FTP75 and HWFET may not represent properly the actual condition and are being progressively replaced by real-world driving cycles. This paper aims to analyze real-world driving conditions in the city of Santa Maria, in southern Brazil, in respect to emissions and fuel consumption. Computer models were used to establish a comparison between standard conditions and real conditions, acquired experimentally by a family car. Impacts of each real-world drive cycle were analyzed and discussed to suggest appropriate solutions for the city’s urban motorized mobility.
|Technical Paper||Numerical Investigation of Real-World Gasoline Car Drive-Cycle Fuel Economy and Emissions|
|Technical Paper||Transient Emission Predictions With Quasi Stationary Models|
CitationRoso, V. and Martins, M., "Evaluation of a Real-World Driving Cycle and its Impacts on Fuel Consumption and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0195, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0195.
- Andre , M. Real-world European driving cycles, for measuring car pollutant emissions from high and low powered cars Atmospheric Environment (Impact Factor: 3.06) 2006 40 31 5944 5953 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.12.057
- Barczak , R. , Duarte , F. Impactos ambientais da mobilidade urbana: cinco categorias de medidas mitigadoras Brazilian Journal of Urban Management 2012 10.7213/urbe.6027
- Barlow , T. J. A reference book of driving cycles for use in the measurement of road vehicle emissions PPR354 2009
- EEA EMEP EEA air pollutant emission inventory guidebook- 2009 European Environment Agency (EEA) 2009
- Esteves-Booth , A. , Alafouzos , A. I. et al. The measurement of vehicular driving cycle within the city of Edinburgh Transportation Research Part D 2001 10.1016/S1361-9209(00)00024-9
- Hung , W. T. et al. Comparison of driving characteristics in cities of Pearl River Delta, China Atmospheric Environment 39 615 625 2005 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2004.10.019
- Hung , W. T. et al. Development of a practical driving cycle construction methodology: a case study in Hong Kong Transportation Research Part D 12 115 128 2007 10.1016/j.trd.2007.01.002
- Lin , J. , Niemeier , D. A. et al. An exploratory analysis comparing a stochastic driving cycle to California’s regulatory cycle Atmospheric Environment 36 5759 5770 2002 10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00695-7
- Nesamani , K. , Subramanian , K. et al. Development of a driving cycle for intra-city buses in Chennai, India Atmospheric Environment 45 5469 5476 2011 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.06.067
- Pacheco , A. F. Martins , M. E. S. Zhao , H et al. New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) simulation of passenger car with a HCCl engine: emissions and fuel consumption results Fuel 111 733 739 2013 10.1016/j.fuel.2013.03.060
- Samuel , S. , Austin , L. , Morrey , D. et al. Automotive test drive cycles for emission measurement and real world emission levels a review Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D 216 115 124 1982 10.1243/095440702760178587
- Maciel , F. F. et al. Construção de ciclos de condução para estimativa de emissões veiculares para ônibus urbanos 2013 Dissertação (Mestrado em Ciência da Computação) Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Zaranté , P. H. B. Sodré , J. R. et al. Evaluating carbon emissions reduction by use of natural gas as engine fuel Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 216 220 2009 10.1016/j.jngse.2009.11.002
- Google Maps http://maps.google.com May 15 2015