This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of the Influence of Ethanol Concentration and Temperature on Gum Formation during Prolonged Storage of Brazilian Gasoline-Ethanol Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline is a volatile, inflammable mixture composed of olefinic, paraffinic, naphthenic and aromatic C4-12 hydrocarbons. Gasoline presents low contents of oxygenates and traces of sulfur, nitrogen and metals which introduce instability. In several countries, like Brazil, ethanol is used as an alternative fuel and as an octane improver. Nevertheless, hydrocarbons present in the fuel slowly react at room temperatures with atmospheric oxygen and with each other. This promotes changes in their physical-chemical characteristics. The process is observed throughout all the fuel production and use chain, increasing fuel density. These resinous, polymeric, insoluble and nonvolatile materials that are formed with high molar mass, commonly called gums, form deposits along the vehicle fuel system. Their accumulation can cause engine wear and have adverse effects on engine efficiency, performance and durability. The formation of gums in gasoline depends on the gasoline composition, absorbed oxygen content and storage conditions (temperature and aging period). The presence of ethanol in gasoline seems to have a dilution effect. The exact mechanisms are not fully known, but it is agreed that they involve a series of free radical chain processes. This work studied the influence of aging period, temperature and addition of aqueous ethanol concentration on Brazilian E20 gasoline-ethanol blend properties. Density, kinematic viscosity, induction period and washed gum content as well as water content were evaluated. It intended to determine critical conditions where the fuel does not meet the specifications required for engine use, using predictive mathematic models given by two Doehlert experimental designs with three factors.
|Technical Paper||STUDIES ON THE STORAGE STABILITY OF DISTILLATE FUELS RESULTS OF STORAGE TESTS|
|Technical Paper||Prediction of Gasoline Storage Stability|
|Technical Paper||Gasohol: Technical, Economic, or Political Panacea?|
- Franck Y. Turkovics - Peugeot Citroën do Brasil Automóveis Ltda.
- Renata N. C. De Souza - Peugeot Citroën do Brasil Automóveis Ltda.
- Florian A. Y. Pradelle - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Sergio L. Braga - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Ana Rosa F. A. Martins - Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
CitationPradelle, F., Braga, S., Martins, A., Turkovics, F. et al., "Experimental Study of the Influence of Ethanol Concentration and Temperature on Gum Formation during Prolonged Storage of Brazilian Gasoline-Ethanol Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0169, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0169.
- Streva , E.R. , Pasa , V.M.D. and Sodré , J.R. Aging effects on gasoline-ethanol blend properties and composition Fuel 90 1 215 219 2011 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.07.056
- Teixeira , L.S. , Souza , J.C. , dos Santos , H.C. , Pontes , L.A. et al. The influence of Cu, Fe, Ni, Pb and Zn on gum formation in the Brazilian automotive gasoline Fuel Processing Technology 88 1 73 76 2007 10.1016/j.fuproc.2006.08.008
- Pereira , C. and Pasa , V. Effect of alcohol and copper content on the stability of automotive gasoline Energy & Fuel 19 2 2005 426 432 10.1021/ef049849h
- Zanier , A. Thermal-oxidative stability of motor gasolines by pressure d.s.c. Fuel 77 8 865 870 1998 10.1016/S0016-2361(97)00265-2
- ANP - Agência Nacional de Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis Resolution No. 40 - Regulation for Brazilian automotive gasoline specification 2013
- Heneghan , S.P. and Zabarnick , S. Oxidation of jet fuels and the formation of deposit Fuel 73 1 35 43 1994 10.1016/0016-2361(94)90185-6
- Pereira , C. and Pasa , V. Effect of mono-olefins and diolefins on the stability of automotive gasoline Fuel 85 12-13 1860 1865 2006 10.1016/j.fuel.2006.01.022
- De la Puente , G. and Sedran , U. Formation of gum precursors in fcc naphthas Energy & Fuels 18 2 460 464 2004 10.1021/ef0340312
- Nagpal , J. M. , Joshi , G. C. and Rastogi , S. N. Stability of cracked naphthas from thermal and catalytic processes and their additive response. part ii. composition and effect of olefinic structures Fuel 74 5 720 724 1995 10.1016/0016-2361(95)91105-8
- Shatalov , K. and Seregin , E. Suitability of automobile gasolines for prolonged storage Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils 45 5 373 379 2009 10.1007/s10553-009-0157-z
- Areff , H. Effect of the copper and iron concentration on gum formation in gas oil of baiji refiner Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering 5 652 656 2011
- Souza , J. , dos Santos , H. , Sobrinho , E. , Guimarães , P. et al. Aplicação da análise de variância para avaliação da influência da presença de metais na formação de goma em gasolinas automotivas Terceiro Congresso Brasileiro de P&D em Petróleo e Gás 2005 Brazil October 2 5 2005
- Nery , L. , Souza , J. , Teixeira , L. , Pontes , L. et al. Influência do cobre na formação de goma em gasolina automotiva Segundo Congresso Brasileiro de P&D em Petróleo e Gás 2003 Brazil June 15 18 2003
- Waynick , J. A. The development and use of metal deactivators in the petroleum industry: a review Energy & Fuels 15 6 1325 1340 2001 10.1021/ef010113j
- Gonçalo , A. Estudo da eficiência de novos aditivos na gasolina através da cromatografia gasosa Research monograph, Recursos Humanos PRH 14/ANP, Departamento de Engenharia Química, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte Natal 2004
- Ferreira , S.L.C. , dos Santos , H.C. , Fernandes , M.S. and de Carvalho , M.S. Application of Doehlert matrix and factorial designs in optimization of experimental variables associated with preconcentration and determination of molybdenum in seawater by inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry” J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 17 115 120 2002 10.1039/b109087a
- NIST What is design of experiments (DOE)? http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pmd/section3/pmd31.htm Feb. 2014
- Havet , J.-L. Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers Notes de cours Plan de Doehlert 2011 132