This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology to Analyze Thermal and Mechanical Stresses in Friction Material
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 13, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In engineering development, simulation methods are frequently used to perform thermal and mechanical stress components analysis. In brake systems, where the components are exposed to mechanical and thermal loads, the numerical analysis is very helpful. Once a numerical model for brake assembly is available, it will be possible to understand the effects of successive brake applications on the temperature distribution in drum brake's friction materials. This is a fundamental aspect to determine, for instance, the thermal stress distribution which is related to the warming and cooling of the brakes. In this work, an analytical solution to calculate stabilized temperature was used to establish a heat flux through a pneumatic S cam drum brake's friction material applied to a numerical model in a finite element analysis. After including the effects of the riveting process and the warming in one of the 17 t bus front brake lining, areas where the stresses vary with considerable amplitudes during temperature increase were identified. The study has indicated that friction material can be submitted to cyclic loads that can cause damage accumulation. These areas have corresponded to local regions of brake linings where historically failures occur during development tests. Also, it was possible to compare results from numerical model to vehicle's experimental data and understand its proximity to real braking events. By the application of the methodology and using the numerical model proposed in this work, it will be possible to contribute considerably for a more accurate design of the friction material.
CitationTravaglia, C., Rodrigues, A., and Lopes, L., "Methodology to Analyze Thermal and Mechanical Stresses in Friction Material," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0020, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0020.
- Bosch Automotive Handbook SAE International 6 th 800 801 2004
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety SAE International 2 nd 1999
- Travaglia , C. A. P. Análise das Tensões Térmicas e Mecânicas no Material de Atrito de Veículos Comerciais Equipados com Tambores de Freio Através do Método de Elementos Finitos Mastering Thesis UFF - Universidade Federal Fluminense Volta Redonda, RJ 2014
- Travaglia , C. A. P. , Lopes , L. C. R. Friction Material Temperature Distribution and Thermal and Mechanical Contact Stress Analysis Engineering 6 13 Scientific Research Publishing 1017 1036 10.4236/eng.2014.613092 December 26 2014
- Travaglia , C. A. P. , Lopes , L. C. R. Methodology to Establish Temperature Distribution in Drum Brake's Friction Material XVII Encontro de Modelagem Computacional & V Encontro de Ciência e Engenharia de Materiais Universidade Católica de Petrópolis (UCP) Petrópolis, RJ October 15 17 2014
- Casaril , A. , Gomes , E. R. , Soares , M. R. , Fredel , M. C. , Al-Qureshi , H. A. Análise Micro-mecânica dos Compósitos com Fibras Curtas e Partículas Revista Matéria 12 2 408 419 2007 http://www.materia.coppe.ufrj.br/sarra/artigos/artigo10815
- Gay , D. , Hoa , S. G. , Tsai , S. W. Composite Materials: Design and Applications CRC Press LLC 211 225 2003
- Daniel , I. M. , Ishai , O. Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials New York, Oxsford Oxford University Press 1994
- ASTM - American Society for Testing and Materials Annual Book of ASTM Standards: Cycle Counting in Fatigue Analysis 3 Philadelphia 1990
- Lopes , L. C. R. Fadiga e Fratura de Materiais Metálicos J.M.A., Godefroid, L. B. São Paulo 1997
- Al-Qureshi , H. A. Composite Materials: Fabrication and Analysis 3 rd ITA 1998